[10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

[10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

Jayathirth D v

Hello All,

Please review the following fix in JDK10 :

Bug : https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8189702

Webrev : http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jdv/8189702/webrev.00/

Issue : Links present in Javadoc for TIFF specification, TIFF Page Maker document & TIFF Photoshop document are broken.

Solution : Replaced broken links with available archived links. Character length for these links are shooting more than 80 char length, breaking the link into multiple lines will not work in all the browsers. Alternate solution for this is to remove references for TIFF Page Maker and TIFF Photoshop from Javadoc and use a shorter ITU link (https://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/com16/tiff-fx/docs/tiff6.pdf ) only for TIFF spec.

Thanks,

Jay

Re: [10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

Brian Burkhalter-2
Hi Jay,

My question is whether we really want to link to the Wayback Machine or find other, legitimate sources? This of course might mean that the original documents cannot be linked.

Thanks,

Brian

On Oct 30, 2017, at 1:44 AM, Jayathirth D V <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please review the following fix in JDK10 :

Issue : Links present in Javadoc for TIFF specification, TIFF Page Maker document & TIFF Photoshop document are broken.
Solution : Replaced broken links with available archived links. Character length for these links are shooting more than 80 char length, breaking the link into multiple lines will not work in all the browsers. Alternate solution for this is to remove references for TIFF Page Maker and TIFF Photoshop from Javadoc and use a shorter ITU link (https://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/com16/tiff-fx/docs/tiff6.pdf ) only for TIFF spec.

Re: [10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

Jayathirth D v

Hi Brian,

Good day to you.

I tried finding references pointing to TIFF spec, TIFF Page maker notes & TIFF Photoshop notes but I was not able to find any links from Adobe which can replace presently available links.

For TIFF Page Maker & TIFF Photoshop notes the only available links are from Wayback archive and for TIFF spec we have links from ITU(https://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/com16/tiff-fx/docs/tiff6.pdf ) and AlternaTIFF(http://www.alternatiff.com/resources/TIFFPM6.pdf ) among them I feel ITU one is more relevant to keep in Javadoc.

If Wayback links are not proper then we can actually remove links for TIFF Page Maker and TIFF Photoshop from Javadoc. If we can use ITU link for TIFF spec we can replace it otherwise we can remove reference for TIFF spec also.

Please let me know your inputs.

Thanks,

Jay

Re: [10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

Brian Burkhalter-2
Hi Jay,

I agree about using the ITU link. As to the Wayback links, I think that is more of a general policy decision that I cannot make so I will leave that to others. I do not know what the constraints are regarding which external sites we should have links to.

Thanks,

Brian

On Oct 30, 2017, at 10:56 PM, Jayathirth D V <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried finding references pointing to TIFF spec, TIFF Page maker notes & TIFF Photoshop notes but I was not able to find any links from Adobe which can replace presently available links.

For TIFF Page Maker & TIFF Photoshop notes the only available links are from Wayback archive and for TIFF spec we have links from ITU(https://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/com16/tiff-fx/docs/tiff6.pdf ) and AlternaTIFF(http://www.alternatiff.com/resources/TIFFPM6.pdf ) among them I feel ITU one is more relevant to keep in Javadoc.

If Wayback links are not proper then we can actually remove links for TIFF Page Maker and TIFF Photoshop from Javadoc. If we can use ITU link for TIFF spec we can replace it otherwise we can remove reference for TIFF spec also.

Re: [10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

Phil Race
wayback links are absolutely the wrong thing to use.

Assuming Adobe does not repair their website breakage, then deleting those
non-essential links is probably the best thing to do .. it will be less of a problem
in the future.

-phil.

On 10/31/2017 08:02 AM, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
[...]

Hello Phil & Brian,

Thanks for your inputs.

I have removed the references to TIFF links since we don’t have proper replacement from Adobe for the same.

Please find updated webrev for review:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jdv/8189702/webrev.01/

Thanks,

Jay

Re: [10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

Phil Race
So after this is, is there anywhere at all we reference a TIFF spec ?
I thought you were going to have a tiff6 ITU reference but I don't see it.

-phil.

On 11/01/2017 10:20 PM, Jayathirth D V wrote:

Hello Phil & Brian,

Thanks for your inputs.

I have removed the references to TIFF links since we don’t have proper replacement from Adobe for the same.

Please find updated webrev for review:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jdv/8189702/webrev.01/

Thanks,

Jay

Re: [10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

Brian Burkhalter-2
I think there should at least be a link to the main specification and the ITU one seems reasonable. Also I noticed this section in the US Library of Congress TIFF page: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000022.shtml#specs.

Brian

On Nov 2, 2017, at 9:25 AM, Phil Race <[hidden email]> wrote:

So after this is, is there anywhere at all we reference a TIFF spec ?
I thought you were going to have a tiff6 ITU reference but I don't see it.

Re: [10] RFR JDK-8189702: Broken links in javadoc for Adobe TIFF related documents

Jayathirth D v

Hello Phil & Brian,

When Phil mentioned about not having proper links from Adobe for TIFF references I thought we should remove all the references to TIFF, so that’s why webrev.01 had no references to any of TIFF documentation.

I also feel that we should have at least have reference to TIFF spec and ITU link seems reasonable.

@Brian : I previously looked into https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000022.shtml#specs and it has lot of links pointing to again wayback machine or other websites.

I have kept ITU TIFF spec link where it is needed and removed Page Maker and Photoshop TIFF references.

Please find updated webrev for review:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jdv/8189702/webrev.02/

Thanks,

Jay

On Nov 3, 2017, at 12:47 AM, Jayathirth D V <[hidden email]> wrote:

I also feel that we should have at least have reference to TIFF spec and ITU link seems reasonable.
@Brian : I previously looked intohttps://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000022.shtml#specs and it has lot of links pointing to again wayback machine or other websites.

So I saw. We definitely do not want web archive pointers as Phil already indicated.

I have kept ITU TIFF spec link where it is needed and removed Page Maker and Photoshop TIFF references.
Please find updated webrev for review:

I think this looks fine.

Thanks,

Brian