[8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

[8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

Muthusamy Chinnathambi
Hi,

Please review the backport of bug: "JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist" to jdk8u-dev

Please note that this is not a clean backport due to new entries in debug.cpp and copyright changes.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/
jdk9 bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8170395
Original patch pushed to jdk9: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/jdk9/hotspot/rev/2e971a72675a

Test:  Had run jtreg and jprt hotspot testsets.

Regards,
Muthusamy C

Re: [8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

Thomas Stüfe-2
Hi Muthusamy,

the webrev link seems to be dead.

..Thomas

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Muthusamy Chinnathambi <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please review the backport of bug: "JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization
> queries the wrong chunk freelist" to jdk8u-dev
>
> Please note that this is not a clean backport due to new entries in
> debug.cpp and copyright changes.
>

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/
> jdk9 bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8170395
> Original patch pushed to jdk9: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/
> jdk9/jdk9/hotspot/rev/2e971a72675a
>
> Test:  Had run jtreg and jprt hotspot testsets.
>
> Regards,
> Muthusamy C

RE: [8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

Muthusamy Chinnathambi
Hi Thomas,

>  the webrev link seems to be dead.

Sorry for the trouble.

Please find the corrected link below

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/

Somehow the line following the link got appended to the previous one leading to a dead link.

Regards,

Muthusamy C

Webrev: HYPERLINK "http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/jdk9"http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/
jdk9 bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8170395
Original patch pushed to jdk9: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/jdk9/hotspot/rev/2e971a72675a

Test:  Had run jtreg and jprt hotspot testsets.

Regards,
Muthusamy C

RE: [8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

Muthusamy Chinnathambi
Hi,

Can someone please review this.

Thanks!
Muthusamy C

Somehow the line following the link got appended to the previous one leading to a dead link.

Regards,

Muthusamy C

RE: [8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

Muthusamy Chinnathambi
Hi,

Could someone please review this backport.

Regards,
Muthusamy C

Re: [8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

Thomas Stüfe-2
Hi Muthusamy,

Looks okay. But are there gtests already in jdk8u? I thought gtests came
with jdk9?

http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/281

If not, how does
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/test/native/memory/test_spaceManager.cpp.html
run or even compile?

Thanks, Thomas

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Muthusamy Chinnathambi <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone please review this backport.
>
> Regards,
> Muthusamy C

Thanks for the review.

> But are there gtests already in jdk8u? I thought gtests came with jdk9?

> http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/281

> If not, how does http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/test/native/memory/test_spaceManager.cpp.html run or even compile?

Yes, you are right. "test_spaceManager.cpp" should not have been included here.

Please find the updated webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.01/  .

Regards,

Muthusamy C

Re: [8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

Thomas Stüfe-2
Hi Muthusamy,

From the look of it updated webrev looks fine, but I do not have the time
to build and check on jdk8u. I also would prefer that the gtests you
omitted should be part of the change (I think before there were gtests,
these kind of tests were implemented as file-local static test functions
and called I think via whitebox.cpp ? But I wait what others say.

Someone from Oracle should confirm this patch. Note that Mikael left
Oracle, I took him off the reply list because mail bounce.

Kind Regards, Thomas

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Muthusamy Chinnathambi <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>

> Thanks for the review.
>

> > But are there gtests already in jdk8u? I thought gtests came with jdk9?
>
> > http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/281
>
> > If not, how does http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~
> mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/test/native/memory/test_
> spaceManager.cpp.html run or even compile?
>
> Yes, you are right. "test_spaceManager.cpp" should not have been included
> here.
>
> Please find the updated webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~
> mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.01/  .
>

> Regards,
>
> Muthusamy C

Yes, the test is part of https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8169931 . I would be backporting this as well, just that I didn’t want to pollute the current BP.

Regards,

Muthusamy C

Someone from Oracle should confirm this patch. Note that Mikael left Oracle, I took him off the reply list because mail bounce.

Kind Regards, Thomas

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Muthusamy Chinnathambi <HYPERLINK "mailto:[hidden email]"[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the review.

> But are there gtests already in jdk8u? I thought gtests came with jdk9?

> http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/281

> If not, how does http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.00/test/native/memory/test_spaceManager.cpp.html run or even compile?

Yes, you are right. "test_spaceManager.cpp" should not have been included here.

Please find the updated webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.01/  .

Regards,

Muthusamy C

Re: [8u] RFR for backport of JDK-8170395: Metaspace initialization queries the wrong chunk freelist

Stefan Karlsson
Hi Muthusamy,

The backport of metaspace.cpp and metaspace.hpp looks fine but I haven't
tracked all changes to the metaspace files for 8u-dev so a second pair
of eyes would be good.

Two things:

1) Can you make sure that the unit test gets hooked into
execute_internal_vm_test in:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u-dev/hotspot/file/b0f7174de2c5/src/share/vm/prims/jni.cpp

And test it with:
-XX:+ExecuteInternalVMTests

2) report_insufficient_metaspace has been removed in later JDKs. Ioi, is
this addition of report_insufficient_metaspace OK?

Thanks,
StefanK

On 2017-11-17 09:59, Muthusamy Chinnathambi wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the review.
>
>> . I also would prefer that the gtests you omitted should be part of the
> change (I think before there were gtests, these kind of tests were
> implemented as file-local static test functions and called I think via
> whitebox.cpp ? But I wait what others say.
>
> Yes, the test is part of
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8169931 . I would be
> backporting this as well, just that I didn’t want to pollute the current BP.
>
> Regards,
>
> Muthusamy C

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the review

> 1) Can you make sure that the unit test gets hooked into
> execute_internal_vm_test in:
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u-dev/hotspot/file/b0f7174de2c5/src/share/vm/prims/jni.cpp

> And test it with:
> -XX:+ExecuteInternalVMTests
Yes. Please find the updated webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.02/  .
Tested with  -XX:+ExecuteInternalVMTests as well.

> 2) report_insufficient_metaspace has been removed in later JDKs. Ioi, is
> this addition of report_insufficient_metaspace OK?
I think yes.  JDK9 still has this, although seem to have been removed in 10.

> The backport of metaspace.cpp and metaspace.hpp looks fine but I haven't
> tracked all changes to the metaspace files for 8u-dev so a second pair
> of eyes would be good.
Agreed.
Thomas Stüfe had reviewed it, although he had the concern of execution of the test case.
The updated webrev should address it.

Regards,
Muthusamy C

On 2017-12-06 12:54, Muthusamy Chinnathambi wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Thanks for the review
>
>> 1) Can you make sure that the unit test gets hooked into
>> execute_internal_vm_test in:
>> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u-dev/hotspot/file/b0f7174de2c5/src/share/vm/prims/jni.cpp
>
>> And test it with:
>> -XX:+ExecuteInternalVMTests
> Yes. Please find the updated webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchinnathamb/8170395/webrev.02/  .
> Tested with  -XX:+ExecuteInternalVMTests as well.

Thanks, that looks good to me.

StefanK

>> 2) report_insufficient_metaspace has been removed in later JDKs. Ioi, is
>> this addition of report_insufficient_metaspace OK?
> I think yes.  JDK9 still has this, although seem to have been removed in 10.
>
>> The backport of metaspace.cpp and metaspace.hpp looks fine but I haven't
>> tracked all changes to the metaspace files for 8u-dev so a second pair
>> of eyes would be good.
> Agreed.
> Thomas Stüfe had reviewed it, although he had the concern of execution of the test case.
> The updated webrev should address it.
>
> Regards,
> Muthusamy C

Thanks a lot Stefan and Thomas.