[9] RFR: 8177314: java VM fails to start with a Japanese ShiftJIS locale

[9] RFR: 8177314: java VM fails to start with a Japanese ShiftJIS locale

Naoto Sato-2
Hi,

Please review the fix for the following issue:

The proposed change is located at:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~naoto/8177314/webrev.00/

The change is to move SJIS based encodings into java.base module on
Linux so that SJIS locale can be used as the default locale to start the
JVM. Although they are not the default locale in Linux distributions,
they still seem to be widely used.

Naoto

Re: [9] RFR: 8177314: java VM fails to start with a Japanese ShiftJIS locale

Xueming Shen
looks fine.

On 04/17/2017 12:47 PM, Naoto Sato wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please review the fix for the following issue:

> The proposed change is located at:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~naoto/8177314/webrev.00/
>
> The change is to move SJIS based encodings into java.base module on Linux so that SJIS locale can be used as the default locale to start the JVM. Although they are not the default locale in Linux distributions, they still seem to be widely used.
>
> Naoto

Re: [9] RFR: 8177314: java VM fails to start with a Japanese ShiftJIS locale

Mandy Chung

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 12:47 PM, Naoto Sato <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Please review the fix for the following issue:

> The proposed change is located at:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~naoto/8177314/webrev.00/

Looks fine.  Just curious - how much does this add to java.base size?

Mandy

On 04/17/2017 02:08 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:

> Looks fine.  Just curious - how much does this add to java.base size?
>
> Mandy

On my test build, these two classes are now moved into java.base from
jdk.charset:

-rw-r--r-- 1 nsato wheel 26711 Apr 17 14:25 SJIS.class
-rw-r--r-- 1 nsato wheel 38385 Apr 17 14:25 MS932.class

Naoto

Re: [9] RFR: 8177314: java VM fails to start with a Japanese ShiftJIS locale

Mandy Chung

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 2:28 PM, Naoto Sato <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 04/17/2017 02:08 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
>
>> Looks fine.  Just curious - how much does this add to java.base size?
>>
>> Mandy
>>

> On my test build, these two classes are now moved into java.base from jdk.charset:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 nsato wheel 26711 Apr 17 14:25 SJIS.class
> -rw-r--r-- 1 nsato wheel 38385 Apr 17 14:25 MS932.class

Good to know. Thanks.

Mandy

Re: [9] RFR: 8177314: java VM fails to start with a Japanese ShiftJIS locale

Alan Bateman
On 17/04/2017 20:47, Naoto Sato wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please review the fix for the following issue:

> The proposed change is located at:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~naoto/8177314/webrev.00/
>
> The change is to move SJIS based encodings into java.base module on
> Linux so that SJIS locale can be used as the default locale to start
> the JVM. Although they are not the default locale in Linux
> distributions, they still seem to be widely used.
Looks good. Is there anything to check into on other platforms or is
this just a Linux only concern.

-Alan

Re: [9] RFR: 8177314: java VM fails to start with a Japanese ShiftJIS locale

Naoto Sato-2
Hi Alan,

On 4/18/17 12:42 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
>> The change is to move SJIS based encodings into java.base module on
>> Linux so that SJIS locale can be used as the default locale to start
>> the JVM. Although they are not the default locale in Linux
>> distributions, they still seem to be widely used.
> Looks good. Is there anything to check into on other platforms or is
> this just a Linux only concern.

Java runtime for Windows already includes SJIS in java.base so there
should be no issue there. I don't see any convincing reason for
macOS/Solaris to have SJIS in java.base, as Solaris has PCK which is
SJIS equivalent, and macOS has been using UTF-8 as the default at least
since MacOSX was released.

Naoto