Authors, Committers, and Reviewers for JDK10 and forward

Authors, Committers, and Reviewers for JDK10 and forward

Mario Torre-5
Hi Mark,

With the JDK project moving forward to a strictly time based release
schedule, there is a question regarding the external contributions in
OpenJDK.

So far, the rule was to basically keep whatever the role was for each
person in the previous release. I don't think this is specified by the
GB but it has been a sane default, after all, most people that have
contributed over the years to the previous projects would likely
contribute again to the new one, but at the same time it would keep
the number of "sleeping" committers down, since you should at least
have one contribution in any of the repositories before getting
granted the same powers in the new repos.

This worked well because the timeframe for the release was large,
giving enough time for people involved in the project to find some
bug, file a bug report, do some work, etc...

With the strict six month cadence I'm afraid this may not be the case
anymore for the ones of us contributing a smaller amount of patches
over the years (like I do, which is basically about fixing the
occasion bugs in the graphics or font stack, which I think are still
significant but happen at a much lower frequency than other
contributions).

Is there any plan to change the rules for keeping the contribution
status? I would not personally like a situation where people who are
not contributing for years stay committer forever, but at the same
time I would prefer a higher threshold for dropping privileges.

As a suggestion, I think that we could count the
review/committer/etc.. status at every LTS release, so those that
accumulated at least a contribution up to the LTS retain the status
they achieved during that timeline.

Would something like that work or I need to look harder for bugs in the jdk? :)

Cheers,
Mario
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Java Champion - Blog: http://neugens.wordpress.com - Twitter: @neugens
Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards:
http://endsoftpatents.org/

Re: Authors, Committers, and Reviewers for JDK10 and forward

dalibor topic-2
On 26.09.2017 17:43, Mario Torre wrote:
> With the strict six month cadence I'm afraid this may not be the case
> anymore for the ones of us contributing a smaller amount of patches
> over the years (like I do, which is basically about fixing the
> occasion bugs in the graphics or font stack, which I think are still
> significant but happen at a much lower frequency than other
> contributions).

Since the JDK Project would be a single Project for all future releases,
contributions to that Project would be cumulative. So we would avoid the
administrative role/user union set operations that we need to perform
today, whenever a new JDK Release Project is created.

So, if things work as before (as they should, in my opinion), then even
occasional bug fixing could lead to more responsible roles over time. I
think that's fine - after all, if you happen to write perfect code every
now and then, you shouldn't have to worry about losing your gradually
gained reviewer/committer privileges over time due to the consequent
lack of bug fixing opportunities. ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic
--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment

Re: Authors, Committers, and Reviewers for JDK10 and forward

Mario Torre-5

> On 26.09.2017 17:43, Mario Torre wrote:
>>
>> With the strict six month cadence I'm afraid this may not be the case
>> anymore for the ones of us contributing a smaller amount of patches
>> over the years (like I do, which is basically about fixing the
>> occasion bugs in the graphics or font stack, which I think are still
>> significant but happen at a much lower frequency than other
>> contributions).
>

> Since the JDK Project would be a single Project for all future releases,
> contributions to that Project would be cumulative. So we would avoid the
> administrative role/user union set operations that we need to perform today,
> whenever a new JDK Release Project is created.
>
> So, if things work as before (as they should, in my opinion), then even
> occasional bug fixing could lead to more responsible roles over time. I
> think that's fine - after all, if you happen to write perfect code every now
> and then, you shouldn't have to worry about losing your gradually gained
> reviewer/committer privileges over time due to the consequent lack of bug
> fixing opportunities. ;)

That makes sense. I still need to wrap my head around how the process
will work in practice, but at least I'm happy I won't have to look
harder for bugs in the jdk, they are getting rarer by the day! ;)

Cheers,
Mario