Quantcast

Backport Java 7 Regex to Java 6 runtime

Abdessamed MANSOURI
Hello all,

We want to backport Java 7 Regex to Java 6 runtime to benifits of some Java
7 Regex features as Named Capturing Group ..., i already read some of
OpenJDK 7 codes and it doens't seems too much complicated cause there isn't
much dependencies to others packages (java.*, sun.* ...) nor native
dependencies from java.regex

I just want to ask you (if you have time ofc) if we authorized to backport
regex according to GPL v2 licence and put it in closed source application,
and if you have some points and advice to backport it please share it.

Thank you and have nice day.

Abdessamed MANSOURI

Re: Backport Java 7 Regex to Java 6 runtime

Andrew Haley
On 23/11/16 16:00, Abdessamed MANSOURI wrote:
> We want to backport Java 7 Regex to Java 6 runtime to benifits of some Java
> 7 Regex features as Named Capturing Group ..., i already read some of
> OpenJDK 7 codes and it doens't seems too much complicated cause there isn't
> much dependencies to others packages (java.*, sun.* ...) nor native
> dependencies from java.regex
>
> I just want to ask you (if you have time ofc) if we authorized to backport
> regex according to GPL v2 licence and put it in closed source application,
> and if you have some points and advice to backport it please share it.

Two things:

We can't do it if in any way it deviates from the JDK 6 specification.

JDK 6 is very old.  It's highly questionable if this makes any sense.

Andrew.

Re: Backport Java 7 Regex to Java 6 runtime

Alex Kashchenko
Hi Abdessamed,

On 11/23/2016 04:16 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 23/11/16 16:00, Abdessamed MANSOURI wrote:
>> We want to backport Java 7 Regex to Java 6 runtime to benifits of some Java
>> 7 Regex features as Named Capturing Group ...,

Maybe this regex library will suite your needs -
https://github.com/tony19/named-regexp

-Alex

Re: Backport Java 7 Regex to Java 6 runtime

Abdessamed MANSOURI
Thank you all for your time.

Andrew, we have an application which turns of Java 6 (the migration to Java
7 costs too much time) and we want to benifits of some Java 7 features, so
we want to backport it (in our client enviroment), i'm not suggesting that
to the community (I'm not author nor committer ...), but as you invoked it,
i would like to make a comment, why does Java standard lib over many years
was distributed as monolithic lib?, nearly all classes are in rt.jar
bundled with sun.*, com.sun.* ... packages , if there were a jar for regex
the upgrade would be a little easy (i know that is another subject but its
the source of problem as i think).

Alex, Thank you for the link, unfortunnately it doesn't support Unicode
character class, so i think the best solution is to process on backport.

Abdessamed MANSOURI

On 24/11/16 12:30, Abdessamed MANSOURI wrote:
> Andrew, we have an application which turns of Java 6 (the migration to Java
> 7 costs too much time) and we want to benifits of some Java 7 features, so
> we want to backport it (in our client enviroment), i'm not suggesting that
> to the community (I'm not author nor committer ...),

Sure.

> but as you invoked it, i would like to make a comment, why does Java
> standard lib over many years was distributed as monolithic lib?,
> nearly all classes are in rt.jar bundled with sun.*, com.sun.*
> ... packages , if there were a jar for regex the upgrade would be a
> little easy (i know that is another subject but its the source of
> problem as i think).

Not entirely, because other parts of the runtime library use regexps.

Surely it's easy anyway: all you have to do is import the regex
library and put it in an appropriate package.  But to answer your
original question a little better, the code is GPL + Classpath
exception, which might well be what you need legally speaking.  But I
am not a lawyer and cannot give you legal advice.

Andrew.

Re: Backport Java 7 Regex to Java 6 runtime

Abdessamed MANSOURI
Thank you Andrew for your time and response, we did it, it was easy as
you've mentionned, we will check the license with a lawyer.

Abdessamed MANSOURI