Building Java9 on Mac OSX

Dakshinamoorthi, Soundararajan
Hi,

I am trying to build java9 in mac OS X Sierra (10.12). As per the building.md, we need Xcode 6.3 to be installed to build JDK. But this version of the OS doesn’t seem to support it. So i installed the latest Xcode (8.3).  The error i get when running make is

“Unable to find <JavaNativeFoundation/JavaNativeFoundation.h>

I tried tweaking the -iframework and -F options to the one that is realistically available in the machine . i.e /APplications/Xcode.app/….., but still no good.

Any help is much appreciated.

BR,
Soundararajan

Re: Building Java9 on Mac OSX

Erik Joelsson
Hello,

I think you should still be able to install some 7.X version of Xcode
and IIRC that should work better. I have not yet heard of a successful
build on Xcode 8.

/Erik

On 2017-05-18 14:21, Dakshinamoorthi, Soundararajan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build java9 in mac OS X Sierra (10.12). As per the building.md, we need Xcode 6.3 to be installed to build JDK. But this version of the OS doesn’t seem to support it. So i installed the latest Xcode (8.3).  The error i get when running make is
>
> “Unable to find <JavaNativeFoundation/JavaNativeFoundation.h>
>
> I tried tweaking the -iframework and -F options to the one that is realistically available in the machine . i.e /APplications/Xcode.app/….., but still no good.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> BR,
> Soundararajan

Re: Building Java9 on Mac OSX

Lennart Börjeson-2
Have you installed the Command Line Tools for XCode? That package is essential.

If you haven’t installed it, you can get it by the command:

sudo xcode-select --install

> 18 maj 2017 kl. 14:21 skrev Dakshinamoorthi, Soundararajan <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build java9 in mac OS X Sierra (10.12). As per the building.md, we need Xcode 6.3 to be installed to build JDK. But this version of the OS doesn’t seem to support it. So i installed the latest Xcode (8.3).  The error i get when running make is
>
> “Unable to find <JavaNativeFoundation/JavaNativeFoundation.h>
>
> I tried tweaking the -iframework and -F options to the one that is realistically available in the machine . i.e /APplications/Xcode.app/….., but still no good.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> BR,
> Soundararajan

Re: Building Java9 on Mac OSX

Lennart Börjeson-2
I can build on MacOS Sierra (10.12.5), XCode 8.3.2.

I have to disable ”warnings as errors”, though.  (bash configure --disable-warnings-as-errors)

/Lennart

> 18 maj 2017 kl. 14:27 skrev Erik Joelsson <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello,
>
> I think you should still be able to install some 7.X version of Xcode and IIRC that should work better. I have not yet heard of a successful build on Xcode 8.
>
> /Erik
>

> On 2017-05-18 14:21, Dakshinamoorthi, Soundararajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to build java9 in mac OS X Sierra (10.12). As per the building.md, we need Xcode 6.3 to be installed to build JDK. But this version of the OS doesn’t seem to support it. So i installed the latest Xcode (8.3).  The error i get when running make is
>>
>> “Unable to find <JavaNativeFoundation/JavaNativeFoundation.h>
>>
>> I tried tweaking the -iframework and -F options to the one that is realistically available in the machine . i.e /APplications/Xcode.app/….., but still no good.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> BR,
>> Soundararajan

Re: Building Java9 on Mac OSX

Dakshinamoorthi, Soundararajan

Thanks, this worked. The order of installation of Xcode IDE and the Command line tools , seem to make a difference.

BR,
Soundararajan

> On 18-May-2017, at 18:03, Lennart Börjeson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Have you installed the Command Line Tools for XCode? That package is essential.
>
> If you haven’t installed it, you can get it by the command:
>
> sudo xcode-select --install
>

>> 18 maj 2017 kl. 14:21 skrev Dakshinamoorthi, Soundararajan <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to build java9 in mac OS X Sierra (10.12). As per the building.md, we need Xcode 6.3 to be installed to build JDK. But this version of the OS doesn’t seem to support it. So i installed the latest Xcode (8.3).  The error i get when running make is
>>
>> “Unable to find <JavaNativeFoundation/JavaNativeFoundation.h>
>>
>> I tried tweaking the -iframework and -F options to the one that is realistically available in the machine . i.e /APplications/Xcode.app/….., but still no good.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> BR,
>> Soundararajan

Re: Building Java9 on Mac OSX

Lennart Börjeson-2
Well, sort of. The versions of MacOS, XCode, and Command Line Tools should match, in the sense that any certain version of MacOS requires a compatible version of XCode, which in its turn requires a compatible version of the Command Line Tools.

It is thus not possible to keep an older XCode when you upgrade MacOS.

In practise, I just enable automatic software updates and always run the latest versions. It's the way of Apple, even it sometimes breaks the build of other software. :-/

(If you have automatic updates enabled, your problems should have automatically gone away at the next update…)

Keep on coding,

/Lennart