COMPOUND_TEXT charset is missing on JDK11

COMPOUND_TEXT charset is missing on JDK11

Ichiroh Takiguchi
Hello.

JDK8 Linux build has COMPOUND_TEXT charset, but it seems it's missing on
JDK11 Linux build.
I checked Bug DB, I could not find out the reason why COMPOUND_TEXT
charset was missing.

Could you port COMPOUND_TEXT charset from JDK8 to JDK11 ?

Thanks,
Ichiroh Takiguchi
IBM Japan, Ltd.

Re: COMPOUND_TEXT charset is missing on JDK11

Alan Bateman
On 22/06/2018 06:47, Ichiroh Takiguchi wrote:
> Hello.
>
> JDK8 Linux build has COMPOUND_TEXT charset, but it seems it's missing
> on JDK11 Linux build.
> I checked Bug DB, I could not find out the reason why COMPOUND_TEXT
> charset was missing.
This was removed more than 3 years ago during JDK 9 development as part
of separating the desktop area into its own module. It was removed,
along with X11 charsets as part of JDK-8035302. Much of the need for
these charsets was legacy at that point, esp. with Motif going away. Is
the context for your question something in the font or postscript
printing areas? This may be something that needs to be brought up on 2d-dev.

-Alan