Chasing changing repository locations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Chasing changing repository locations

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hello!

I just noticed that the main development repository for OpenJDK has moved
again from [1] to [2]. Can someone explain me what happened and why the
repository was moved?

I was a bit confused because I submitted a changeset, it got accepted and
merged but my change didn't show up the old repository [1]. Then I searched
around and found out it ended up in [2].

This is mildly annoying since I will now have to check out the repository
again which takes quite some time on some of the development machines I use
(not all of them are mine and some have a slower internet connection than
 others) and there is also the risk that I miss important changes and my
changes conflict with changes already submitted in the moved repository.

Is there a system behind the repositories moving around? And is there a way
to track this easily, e.g. does Mercurial have any commands that are particularly
useful in these situations? Is there maybe a way to add the new repository as
a new remote in Mercurial similar to what can be done in git with "git remote"
and then just fetch the changes from the new repository?

Sorry if my questions seem a bit stupid, I'm just trying to understand the
workflow behind the current systems :-).

Thanks,
Adrian

> [1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk10/hs/
> [2] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/hs/

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chasing changing repository locations

Severin Gehwolf
On Fri, 2017-11-10 at 09:20 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just noticed that the main development repository for OpenJDK has moved
> again from [1] to [2]. Can someone explain me what happened and why the
> repository was moved?

There was an effort to go from Mercurial forests to one consolidated
repo:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk10-dev/2017-June/000371.html
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk10-dev/2017-September/000455.html

[1] might have been a temporary place, I'm losing track :(

[2] is the new place for new hotspot, AFAIK. It looks like [1] and [2]
have the same layout. You might be able to add the new location via a
new path by changing '.hg/hgrc'. Confirm with hg paths.

$ hg paths
default = http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/hs

HTH,
Severin

> I was a bit confused because I submitted a changeset, it got accepted and
> merged but my change didn't show up the old repository [1]. Then I searched
> around and found out it ended up in [2].
>
> This is mildly annoying since I will now have to check out the repository
> again which takes quite some time on some of the development machines I use
> (not all of them are mine and some have a slower internet connection than
>  others) and there is also the risk that I miss important changes and my
> changes conflict with changes already submitted in the moved repository.
>
> Is there a system behind the repositories moving around? And is there a way
> to track this easily, e.g. does Mercurial have any commands that are particularly
> useful in these situations? Is there maybe a way to add the new repository as
> a new remote in Mercurial similar to what can be done in git with "git remote"
> and then just fetch the changes from the new repository?
>
> Sorry if my questions seem a bit stupid, I'm just trying to understand the
> workflow behind the current systems :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>
> > [1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk10/hs/
> > [2] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/hs/
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chasing changing repository locations

Claes Redestad
On 2017-11-10 10:05, Severin Gehwolf wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-11-10 at 09:20 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I just noticed that the main development repository for OpenJDK has moved
>> again from [1] to [2]. Can someone explain me what happened and why the
>> repository was moved?
> There was an effort to go from Mercurial forests to one consolidated
> repo:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk10-dev/2017-June/000371.html
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk10-dev/2017-September/000455.html
>
> [1] might have been a temporary place, I'm losing track :(

Somewhat orthogonal to the repo consolidation, the JDK 10 project
has been replaced with the JDK project, and the new repository
locations are (hopefully) permanent:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk10-dev/2017-October/000551.html

>
> [2] is the new place for new hotspot, AFAIK. It looks like [1] and [2]
> have the same layout. You might be able to add the new location via a
> new path by changing '.hg/hgrc'. Confirm with hg paths.
>
> $ hg paths
> default = http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/hs

Yes, changing .hg/hgrc worked fine for me.

/Claes
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chasing changing repository locations

David Holmes
In reply to this post by John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi Adrian,

You need to make sure you're subscribed to the project email lists - it
was jdk10-dev and now just [hidden email]. Then you would have
seen about all the changes to the repos. Check the archives for discussion:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2017-November/000087.html

In theory they should never need to change again. ;-)

Cheers,
David

On 10/11/2017 6:20 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just noticed that the main development repository for OpenJDK has moved
> again from [1] to [2]. Can someone explain me what happened and why the
> repository was moved?
>
> I was a bit confused because I submitted a changeset, it got accepted and
> merged but my change didn't show up the old repository [1]. Then I searched
> around and found out it ended up in [2].
>
> This is mildly annoying since I will now have to check out the repository
> again which takes quite some time on some of the development machines I use
> (not all of them are mine and some have a slower internet connection than
>   others) and there is also the risk that I miss important changes and my
> changes conflict with changes already submitted in the moved repository.
>
> Is there a system behind the repositories moving around? And is there a way
> to track this easily, e.g. does Mercurial have any commands that are particularly
> useful in these situations? Is there maybe a way to add the new repository as
> a new remote in Mercurial similar to what can be done in git with "git remote"
> and then just fetch the changes from the new repository?
>
> Sorry if my questions seem a bit stupid, I'm just trying to understand the
> workflow behind the current systems :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>
>> [1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk10/hs/
>> [2] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/hs/
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chasing changing repository locations

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi David et al.!

On 11/10/2017 01:08 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> You need to make sure you're subscribed to the project email lists - it
> was jdk10-dev and now just [hidden email]. Then you would have seen about all
> the changes to the repos. Check the archives for discussion:
>
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2017-November/000087.html

Thanks for the heads-up! I appreciate all the quick replies and input :-).

> In theory they should never need to change again. ;-)
Let's see what mathematical values of "never" we are talking about :-).

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913