Feedback on the new doclet.

Kumar Srinivasan
Hello everyone,

The  JEP 221 [1] was integrated into jdk9 b104. This feature
significantly changes the javadoc tool and replaces the HTML doclet.

Please try it out and let us know, if  you observe anything
amiss in the generated docs at  [hidden email].

Thanks in advance
Kumar Srinivasan

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/221

RE: Feedback on the new doclet.

Gunnar Morling
Hi,

One thing I noticed is that links to specific types seem not to work
as they used to do. E.g. this link to the Java 8 docs

    https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/index.html?javax/annotation/Generated.html

gets me right to the docs of @Generated, whereas the new

    http://download.java.net/jdk9/docs/api/index.html?javax/annotation/Generated.html

just shows the main page of the docs with all the packages.

It would be great to have back the previous behaviour, as it's very
useful when pointing people to specific API members.

Thanks,

--Gunnar

Re: Feedback on the new doclet.

Jonathan Gibbons
Paul,

Yes, we know about this one and it's on the list to be fixed.  It's not specific to the new doclet;  it happens in the ofl doclet as well, and is related to the transition to supporting HTML 5.

That being said, with the recent arrival of the Search feature, the index frames on the left hand side are less important than before, and we expect that more folk will prefer to work in "No Frames" mode, and use Search to navigate to packages and types.

-- Jon

On 02/17/2016 10:42 AM, Paul Benedict wrote:
In the new doclet, I can no longer resize the "frames". I know they aren't HTML frames but the ability to resize them is important; the functionality should be restored via scripting. There are long package and class names in the wild.

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Kumar Srinivasan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

The  JEP 221 [1] was integrated into jdk9 b104. This feature
significantly changes the javadoc tool and replaces the HTML doclet.

Please try it out and let us know, if  you observe anything
amiss in the generated docs at  [hidden email].

Thanks in advance
Kumar Srinivasan

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/221

Re: Feedback on the new doclet.

Kevin Rushforth
Hi Kumar,

I am in the process of fixing up JavaFX to build with JDK 9 as a boot
jdk, and I ran into an NPE in the doclet, that may be related to your
change. I'll file a bug in JBS, but wanted to give you a heads-up.

-- Kevin