Fixing Object.hashCode documentation

Jonas Konrad
Hi,

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-6321873 has been idle since
2005. http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/jdk/rev/458adf31ad5b changed
the wording somewhat (though I still don't think it's explicit enough in
that OpenJDK does *not* use the address). Could you further improve the
wording, or if you believe it is sufficient, close the jira bug?

Thank you,
- Jonas Konrad

Re: Fixing Object.hashCode documentation

roger riggs
Hi,

I would close 6321873.  Informatively, it is already linked as related
to 8071434.

System.identityHashCode is specified as using the same value as the
default Object.hashCode
and not say anything to weaken the statements aboutr uniqueness.

Other suggestions?

$.02, Roger

On 1/15/2017 4:37 PM, Jonas Konrad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-6321873 has been idle since
> 2005. http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/jdk/rev/458adf31ad5b changed
> the wording somewhat (though I still don't think it's explicit enough
> in that OpenJDK does *not* use the address). Could you further improve
> the wording, or if you believe it is sufficient, close the jira bug?
>
> Thank you,
> - Jonas Konrad

Re: Fixing Object.hashCode documentation

joe darcy
Hello,

I just closed out JDK-6321873 adding the comment:

> Much of this contents of this issue was addressed by JDK-8071434;
> JDK-8172928 has been filed to add additional doc linkages between
> System.identityHashCode and Object.hashCode.

-Joe