Graal missing from MacOS Java 9 EA download b167

Graal missing from MacOS Java 9 EA download b167

Lennart Börjeson-2
Graal (e.g. the module jdk.internal.vm.compiler) seems to be missing from the Java 9 Early-Access download for MacOS. I noticed this with b166 and it is still so in b167.

As it is perfectly possible (I’ve done it) to download the source, configure the build to include graal, and build it, I suspect this is possibly an oversight in the packaging of the EA on MacOS, due to that AOT is only to be supported on Linux. But graal per se should surely be included on all platforms?

How to test:

Download and install Java 9 EA. Put it on the PATH.

java --list-modules | grep jdk.internal.vm.compiler

(finds compiler on Linux; finds nothing on MacOS)

java -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+EnableJVMCI -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler -XX:+BootstrapJVMCI -version

(Works on Linux; complains about "no JVMCI compiler selected" on MacOS)

Re: Graal missing from MacOS Java 9 EA download b167

Sandeep Konchady
Hi Lennart,

Feedback from development team:

In JDK 9 jdk.internal.vm.compiler module is only built on platforms which AOT supports. And it is only Linux-x64.
We don't support Graal as JIT compiler in JDK 9. Only as compiler for AOT.

As workaround customer can download Graal from Oracle Labs and drop it into JDK. All the necessary details are in https://github.com/graalvm/graal/blob/master/compiler/README.md. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Sandeep

> On May 3, 2017, at 1:52 AM, Lennart Börjeson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Graal (e.g. the module jdk.internal.vm.compiler) seems to be missing from the Java 9 Early-Access download for MacOS. I noticed this with b166 and it is still so in b167.
>
> As it is perfectly possible (I’ve done it) to download the source, configure the build to include graal, and build it, I suspect this is possibly an oversight in the packaging of the EA on MacOS, due to that AOT is only to be supported on Linux. But graal per se should surely be included on all platforms?
>
> How to test:
>
> Download and install Java 9 EA. Put it on the PATH.
>
> java --list-modules | grep jdk.internal.vm.compiler
>
> (finds compiler on Linux; finds nothing on MacOS)
>

> java -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+EnableJVMCI -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler -XX:+BootstrapJVMCI -version
>
> (Works on Linux; complains about "no JVMCI compiler selected" on MacOS)

Re: Graal missing from MacOS Java 9 EA download b167

Lennart Börjeson-2
Thank you for the response.

As I believe Graal is the most important new thing in jdk9, I’d then just want to state my opinion: Even if AOT is available only for x86_64 (and I have absolutely no problems with that), I still believe Graal should be included on all platforms.

After all, Graal is Java, and running on all platforms is what Java is all about, isn’t it?  ;-)

(Not expecting an immediate policy change.)

Best regards,

/Lennart Börjeson

> 5 maj 2017 kl. 19:04 skrev Sandeep Konchady <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Lennart,
>
> Feedback from development team:
>
> In JDK 9 jdk.internal.vm.compiler module is only built on platforms which AOT supports. And it is only Linux-x64.
> We don't support Graal as JIT compiler in JDK 9. Only as compiler for AOT.
>
> As workaround customer can download Graal from Oracle Labs and drop it into JDK. All the necessary details are in https://github.com/graalvm/graal/blob/master/compiler/README.md. Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Sandeep
>
>> On May 3, 2017, at 1:52 AM, Lennart Börjeson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Graal (e.g. the module jdk.internal.vm.compiler) seems to be missing from the Java 9 Early-Access download for MacOS. I noticed this with b166 and it is still so in b167.
>>
>> As it is perfectly possible (I’ve done it) to download the source, configure the build to include graal, and build it, I suspect this is possibly an oversight in the packaging of the EA on MacOS, due to that AOT is only to be supported on Linux. But graal per se should surely be included on all platforms?
>>
>> How to test:
>>
>> Download and install Java 9 EA. Put it on the PATH.
>>
>> java --list-modules | grep jdk.internal.vm.compiler
>>
>> (finds compiler on Linux; finds nothing on MacOS)
>>

>> java -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+EnableJVMCI -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler -XX:+BootstrapJVMCI -version
>>
>> (Works on Linux; complains about "no JVMCI compiler selected" on MacOS)

Re: Graal missing from MacOS Java 9 EA download b167

Andrew Haley
On 12/05/17 12:30, Lennart Börjeson wrote:

> As I believe Graal is the most important new thing in jdk9, I’d then
> just want to state my opinion: Even if AOT is available only for
> x86_64 (and I have absolutely no problems with that), I still
> believe Graal should be included on all platforms.

Well, we'd have to write it.  We've done x86 and (partially) AArch64,
but Mac has a different object file format from Linux.  Do you want to
work on it?  Patches welcome.

Andrew.

Re: Graal missing from MacOS Java 9 EA download b167

Lennart Börjeson-2
I believe you’re confusing AOT and Graal. I’m not asking for AOT on all platforms (indeed, I have no use for it on any platform!),  but for Graal itself.

Graal works on Mac, you only need to enable it in the configuration of the build. I’m guessing it works on all x86 platforms.

(Using, e.g.,  ./configure --with-jvm-features=compiler1,compiler2,jvmci,graal)

/Lennart

On 16/05/17 10:12, Lennart Börjeson wrote:

> I believe you’re confusing AOT and Graal. I’m not asking for AOT on
> all platforms (indeed, I have no use for it on any platform!), but
> for Graal itself.
>
> Graal works on Mac, you only need to enable it in the configuration
> of the build. I’m guessing it works on all x86 platforms.

Perhaps, but it's only in because of AOT, and given the present state
of flux in Graal development anyone who wants to experiment with it is
better advised to use upstream Graal.  IMO.

Andrew.