JDK 9 RFR(s): 8177789 fix collections framework links to point to java.util package doc

JDK 9 RFR(s): 8177789 fix collections framework links to point to java.util package doc

Stuart Marks
Hi all,

Please review this changeset that fixes up links around the JDK that point to
the old Collections technotes/guides area. This changeset points them to the
java.util package summary instead.

Most of the changes here simply adjust a link location. The file that's
different is java/util/package-info.java, which adds the anchor to which all the
other links point.

Martin,

This changeset includes a bunch of changes to java.util.concurrent classes, as
well as to files like ArrayDeque which straddle the border between the JDK and
the JSR166 repo. How did you want to handle these changes? I could just push
this and you could merge upstream, or I could slice off the diffs from selected
files and have you put them into JSR166 and then merge into the JDK. In any
case, the changes are all one-liners, so I don't expect any conflicts. Let me know.

Webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~smarks/reviews/8177789/webrev.0/

Thanks,

s'marks

Re: JDK 9 RFR(s): 8177789 fix collections framework links to point to java.util package doc

Brent Christian-2
Hi, Stuart

The changes look fine.  You found and changed all the references I could
find.   Having the @index I think will be nice.

-Brent

On 4/14/17 3:36 PM, Stuart Marks wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please review this changeset that fixes up links around the JDK that
> point to the old Collections technotes/guides area. This changeset
> points them to the java.util package summary instead.
>
> Most of the changes here simply adjust a link location. The file that's
> different is java/util/package-info.java, which adds the anchor to which
> all the other links point.
>
> Martin,
>
> This changeset includes a bunch of changes to java.util.concurrent
> classes, as well as to files like ArrayDeque which straddle the border
> between the JDK and the JSR166 repo. How did you want to handle these
> changes? I could just push this and you could merge upstream, or I could
> slice off the diffs from selected files and have you put them into
> JSR166 and then merge into the JDK. In any case, the changes are all
> one-liners, so I don't expect any conflicts. Let me know.
>
> Webrev:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~smarks/reviews/8177789/webrev.0/
>
> Thanks,
>
> s'marks

Re: JDK 9 RFR(s): 8177789 fix collections framework links to point to java.util package doc

Martin Buchholz-3
On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Stuart Marks <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Martin,
>
> This changeset includes a bunch of changes to java.util.concurrent
> classes, as well as to files like ArrayDeque which straddle the border
> between the JDK and the JSR166 repo. How did you want to handle these
> changes? I could just push this and you could merge upstream, or I could
> slice off the diffs from selected files and have you put them into JSR166
> and then merge into the JDK. In any case, the changes are all one-liners,
> so I don't expect any conflicts. Let me know.

Just commit your changes; they look fine; we will merge into jsr166 CVS.

I have the usual doc-related gripes ... all the docs for openjdk should be
checked into mercurial so they can be maintained along with the classes
they document ... @index is new to me; I couldn't find any documentation
for it.

@index is part of JEP 225, Javadoc Search (right?)

-Brent

Re: JDK 9 RFR(s): 8177789 fix collections framework links to point to java.util package doc

Stuart Marks

On 4/15/17 10:34 AM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> Just commit your changes; they look fine; we will merge into jsr166 CVS.

OK, will do, thanks.

> I have the usual doc-related gripes ... all the docs for openjdk should be
> checked into mercurial so they can be maintained along with the classes they
> document

Yeah, docs are a problem, as usual. There is some progress, though. See JEP 299
[1] which proposes to reorganize the docs from the "brick wall" diagram. At
least the various specification documents buried under here (e.g., JNI,
Serialization, ..., but not JVMS & JLS) will end up in OpenJDK. Various bits of
docs about component technologies will also be moved into OpenJDK, as I've
proposed to do for collections with JDK-8177788.

s'marks

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/299