Minimal JDK version requirements

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Minimal JDK version requirements

keita abdoul-kader
Hello,
Is there any plan to move the JDK requirement from 8 to something higher since 8 is soon to be deprecated ?
Thanks
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minimal JDK version requirements

Jonathan Gibbons

On 1/22/19 8:14 AM, keita abdoul-kader wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there any plan to move the JDK requirement from 8 to something
> higher since 8 is soon to be deprecated ?
> Thanks


There's two aspects to this.

1. It should be *possible* to run jtreg on recent versions of JDK.

2. It remains the case that it is desirable to be able to run jtreg on
old versions, to enable running tests for the oldest supported version
of the platform.

-- Jon


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minimal JDK version requirements

Jonathan Gibbons

Keita,

Yes, that is currently to be expected, because by default, the build compiles certain files for use on very old versions of the platform, which are only supported when using JDK 8.

It would be a reasonable enhancement to update the build so that you can build with newer releases of JDK, if you don't mind not being able to run on very old releases. You can do this now if you need to by overriding/editing the javac command lines defined in make/Defs.gmk ... look for the commands that contain uses of the -source and -target options.

But, there no need to worry just yet about JDK 8 going away. The Support Roadmap [1] says this:

End of Public Updates of Java SE 8

Java SE 8 is going through the End of Public Updates process for legacy releases.  Oracle will continue to provide free public updates and auto updates of Java SE 8, until at least the end of December 2020 for Personal Users, and January 2019 for Commercial Users.

-- Jon

[1] https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html


On 1/26/19 11:04 AM, keita abdoul-kader wrote:
Hello Jon, thanks for answering.
I agree with you on both point. But i think my original question was clear enough. 
I was talking the JDK requirements for building jtreg from source. Last time i tried building the tip of the jtreg  source code with oracle jdk10 , It failed at compile time and i had to revert to using oracle jdk 8
Is that expected ?

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM Jonathan Gibbons <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 1/22/19 8:14 AM, keita abdoul-kader wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there any plan to move the JDK requirement from 8 to something
> higher since 8 is soon to be deprecated ?
> Thanks


There's two aspects to this.

1. It should be *possible* to run jtreg on recent versions of JDK.

2. It remains the case that it is desirable to be able to run jtreg on
old versions, to enable running tests for the oldest supported version
of the platform.

-- Jon


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minimal JDK version requirements

Jonathan Gibbons

Now fixed in jtreg.tip.

-- Jon


On 01/26/2019 12:47 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:

Keita,

Yes, that is currently to be expected, because by default, the build compiles certain files for use on very old versions of the platform, which are only supported when using JDK 8.

It would be a reasonable enhancement to update the build so that you can build with newer releases of JDK, if you don't mind not being able to run on very old releases. You can do this now if you need to by overriding/editing the javac command lines defined in make/Defs.gmk ... look for the commands that contain uses of the -source and -target options.

But, there no need to worry just yet about JDK 8 going away. The Support Roadmap [1] says this:

End of Public Updates of Java SE 8

Java SE 8 is going through the End of Public Updates process for legacy releases.  Oracle will continue to provide free public updates and auto updates of Java SE 8, until at least the end of December 2020 for Personal Users, and January 2019 for Commercial Users.

-- Jon

[1] https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html


On 1/26/19 11:04 AM, keita abdoul-kader wrote:
Hello Jon, thanks for answering.
I agree with you on both point. But i think my original question was clear enough. 
I was talking the JDK requirements for building jtreg from source. Last time i tried building the tip of the jtreg  source code with oracle jdk10 , It failed at compile time and i had to revert to using oracle jdk 8
Is that expected ?

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM Jonathan Gibbons <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 1/22/19 8:14 AM, keita abdoul-kader wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there any plan to move the JDK requirement from 8 to something
> higher since 8 is soon to be deprecated ?
> Thanks


There's two aspects to this.

1. It should be *possible* to run jtreg on recent versions of JDK.

2. It remains the case that it is desirable to be able to run jtreg on
old versions, to enable running tests for the oldest supported version
of the platform.

-- Jon