Quantcast

RFR [10]: 8180423: Remove flag UseRelocIndex

RFR [10]: 8180423: Remove flag UseRelocIndex

Claes Redestad
Hi,

the develop flag UseRelocIndex has been both disabled and broken
for quite some time and I think it should be removed (if the now
dead optimization is worthwhile it needs to be re-designed anyhow).

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8180423/hotspot.00/

While some of this does show up in startup profiles, e.g.,
RelocIterator::create_index is called 242 times in one test,
the cost is definitely infinitesimal and this should be seen
primarily as cleaning out dead, broken and untested code.

Testing: RBT hs-tier2,hs-tier3-comp

Thanks!

/Claes

Re: RFR [10]: 8180423: Remove flag UseRelocIndex

Vladimir Kozlov
Nice cleanup.

Thanks,
Vladimir

On 5/16/17 8:27 AM, Claes Redestad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the develop flag UseRelocIndex has been both disabled and broken
> for quite some time and I think it should be removed (if the now
> dead optimization is worthwhile it needs to be re-designed anyhow).

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8180423/hotspot.00/
>
> While some of this does show up in startup profiles, e.g.,
> RelocIterator::create_index is called 242 times in one test,
> the cost is definitely infinitesimal and this should be seen
> primarily as cleaning out dead, broken and untested code.
>
> Testing: RBT hs-tier2,hs-tier3-comp
>
> Thanks!
>
> /Claes

Re: RFR [10]: 8180423: Remove flag UseRelocIndex

Claes Redestad
Thanks, Vladimir!

/Claes

On 2017-05-16 18:07, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:

> Nice cleanup.
>
> Thanks,
> Vladimir
>
> On 5/16/17 8:27 AM, Claes Redestad wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the develop flag UseRelocIndex has been both disabled and broken
>> for quite some time and I think it should be removed (if the now
>> dead optimization is worthwhile it needs to be re-designed anyhow).

>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8180423/hotspot.00/
>>
>> While some of this does show up in startup profiles, e.g.,
>> RelocIterator::create_index is called 242 times in one test,
>> the cost is definitely infinitesimal and this should be seen
>> primarily as cleaning out dead, broken and untested code.
>>
>> Testing: RBT hs-tier2,hs-tier3-comp
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> /Claes

Re: RFR [10]: 8180423: Remove flag UseRelocIndex

Tobias Hartmann-2
Hi Claes,

On 16.05.2017 17:27, Claes Redestad wrote:
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8180423/hotspot.00/

Looks good to me!

Thanks,
Tobias

Re: RFR [10]: 8180423: Remove flag UseRelocIndex

Claes Redestad
Tobias,

On 2017-05-17 07:55, Tobias Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Claes,
>
> On 16.05.2017 17:27, Claes Redestad wrote:
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8180423/hotspot.00/
> Looks good to me!

thanks! Pushing the patch now.

/Claes