RFR [11] (XS): 8195064 : LogCompilation: Chicken and egg startup problem with types

RFR [11] (XS): 8195064 : LogCompilation: Chicken and egg startup problem with types

Eric Caspole-2
Hi everybody,

There is a startup condition problem in LogCompilation where it
asserting a result from the type table is not null but no types have yet
been placed in the table.

I have been using LogCompilation with this workaround manually applied
for about a month and I haven't seen any problems from removing the check.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ecaspole/JDK-8195064/webrev/

Thanks,

Eric

Re: RFR [11] (XS): 8195064 : LogCompilation: Chicken and egg startup problem with types

Tobias Hartmann-2
Hi Eric,

this looks good to me.

I just wanted to ask if we should add some tests but I've seen that you've filed JDK-8195069 for that.

Best regards,
Tobias

On 12.01.2018 23:40, Eric Caspole wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> There is a startup condition problem in LogCompilation where it asserting a result from the type table is not null but
> no types have yet been placed in the table.
>
> I have been using LogCompilation with this workaround manually applied for about a month and I haven't seen any problems
> from removing the check.

> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ecaspole/JDK-8195064/webrev/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Re: RFR [11] (XS): 8195064 : LogCompilation: Chicken and egg startup problem with types

Eric Caspole-2
Thanks Tobias!

Could anyone else look at this? This is somewhat blocking easy use of
the tool.

Thanks,
Eric

On 01/15/2018 03:50 AM, Tobias Hartmann wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> this looks good to me.
>
> I just wanted to ask if we should add some tests but I've seen that you've filed JDK-8195069 for that.
>
> Best regards,
> Tobias
>
> On 12.01.2018 23:40, Eric Caspole wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> There is a startup condition problem in LogCompilation where it asserting a result from the type table is not null but
>> no types have yet been placed in the table.
>>
>> I have been using LogCompilation with this workaround manually applied for about a month and I haven't seen any problems
>> from removing the check.
>>

>> JBS: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8195064
>>
>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ecaspole/JDK-8195064/webrev/
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eric

Re: RFR [11] (XS): 8195064 : LogCompilation: Chicken and egg startup problem with types

Vladimir Kozlov
Reviewed.

Thanks,
Vladimir

On 1/18/18 11:58 AM, Eric Caspole wrote:

> Thanks Tobias!
>
> Could anyone else look at this? This is somewhat blocking easy use of
> the tool.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>

> On 01/15/2018 03:50 AM, Tobias Hartmann wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> this looks good to me.
>>
>> I just wanted to ask if we should add some tests but I've seen that
>> you've filed JDK-8195069 for that.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tobias
>>
>> On 12.01.2018 23:40, Eric Caspole wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> There is a startup condition problem in LogCompilation where it
>>> asserting a result from the type table is not null but
>>> no types have yet been placed in the table.
>>>
>>> I have been using LogCompilation with this workaround manually
>>> applied for about a month and I haven't seen any problems
>>> from removing the check.
>>>

>>> JBS: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8195064
>>>
>>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ecaspole/JDK-8195064/webrev/
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Eric

Re: RFR [11] (XS): 8195064 : LogCompilation: Chicken and egg startup problem with types

Eric Caspole-2
Thanks Vladimir!