RFR 4358774: Add null InputStream and OutputStream

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
47 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFR 4358774: Add null InputStream and OutputStream

roger riggs
+1

C) InputStream.nullInputStream() and OutputStream.nullOutputStream().

On 1/5/2018 3:42 AM, Chris Hegarty wrote:

>> On 4 Jan 2018, at 23:42, Brian Burkhalter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 11, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Brian Burkhalter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Dec 8, 2017, at 3:12 PM, Brian Burkhalter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> All previous suggested changes have been made in
>>>>
>>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/4358774/webrev.03/
>>>>
>>>> except for the possible change of name for the IS and OS nullStream() methods which awaits consensus.
>>> As long as we’re still at it, given java.util.stream.Stream then
>>>
>>> InputStream.nullInput()
>>> OutputStream.nullOutput()
>>> Reader.nullReader()
>>> Writer.nullWriter()
>>>
>>> might not be a bad alternative.
>> Re-reading the discussion [1] of last year regarding [2], it seems that there was convergence on all points raised except the names of the new methods. The alternatives are:
>>
>> A) InputStream.nullStream() and OutputStream.nullStream() as in the most recent version, webrev.03,
>> B) InputStream.nullInput() and OutputStream.nullOutput() as shown above, and
>> C) InputStream.nullInputStream() and OutputStream.nullOutputStream().
>>
>> Does anyone have any more comments on this point? I would be inclined to choose option C.
> After re-reading the email thread, I would choose option C too. It is unambiguous, and the ‘null{classname}’ pattern can be used for Reader/Writer in the future.
>
> -Chris
>
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2017-December/050367.html
>> [2] https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-4358774

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFR 4358774: Add null InputStream and OutputStream

Patrick Reinhart
That’s my favorite too…

-Patrick

> Am 05.01.2018 um 16:31 schrieb Roger Riggs <[hidden email]>:
>
> +1
>
> C) InputStream.nullInputStream() and OutputStream.nullOutputStream().

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFR 4358774: Add null InputStream and OutputStream

Brian Burkhalter-2
In reply to this post by Brian Burkhalter-2
While there appears now to be agreement on using naming option C below, formal Reviewer approval appears still to be lacking. It would be good if there were at least two approvals forthcoming, if appropriate.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/4358774/webrev.03/

Thanks,

Brian

On Jan 4, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Brian Burkhalter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Re-reading the discussion [1] of last year regarding [2], it seems that there was convergence on all points raised except the names of the new methods. The alternatives are:
>
> A) InputStream.nullStream() and OutputStream.nullStream() as in the most recent version, webrev.03,
> B) InputStream.nullInput() and OutputStream.nullOutput() as shown above, and
> C) InputStream.nullInputStream() and OutputStream.nullOutputStream().
>
> Does anyone have any more comments on this point? I would be inclined to choose option C.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian
>
> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2017-December/050367.html
> [2] https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-4358774

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFR 4358774: Add null InputStream and OutputStream

roger riggs
+1 looks fine

On 1/11/2018 11:59 AM, Brian Burkhalter wrote:

> While there appears now to be agreement on using naming option C below, formal Reviewer approval appears still to be lacking. It would be good if there were at least two approvals forthcoming, if appropriate.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/4358774/webrev.03/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian
>
> On Jan 4, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Brian Burkhalter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Re-reading the discussion [1] of last year regarding [2], it seems that there was convergence on all points raised except the names of the new methods. The alternatives are:
>>
>> A) InputStream.nullStream() and OutputStream.nullStream() as in the most recent version, webrev.03,
>> B) InputStream.nullInput() and OutputStream.nullOutput() as shown above, and
>> C) InputStream.nullInputStream() and OutputStream.nullOutputStream().
>>
>> Does anyone have any more comments on this point? I would be inclined to choose option C.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2017-December/050367.html
>> [2] https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-4358774

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFR 4358774: Add null InputStream and OutputStream

Brian Burkhalter-2
Thanks. The final version is updated in place under webrev.03. Pushing the change is pending CSR-reapproval.

Brian

On Jan 11, 2018, at 11:16 AM, Roger Riggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 looks fine
>
> On 1/11/2018 11:59 AM, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
>> While there appears now to be agreement on using naming option C below, formal Reviewer approval appears still to be lacking. It would be good if there were at least two approvals forthcoming, if appropriate.
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/4358774/webrev.03/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFR 4358774: Add null InputStream and OutputStream

Alan Bateman


On 11/01/2018 22:14, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
> Thanks. The final version is updated in place under webrev.03. Pushing the change is pending CSR-reapproval.
>
>
Looks okay to me. Just a minor nit in the first line of nullInputStream
where the javadoc has "contains no bytes". I assume you mean to put
"reads" rather than "contains".

-Alan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFR 4358774: Add null InputStream and OutputStream

Brian Burkhalter-2

On Jan 12, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/01/2018 22:14, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
>> Thanks. The final version is updated in place under webrev.03. Pushing the change is pending CSR-reapproval.
>>
>>
> Looks okay to me. Just a minor nit in the first line of nullInputStream where the javadoc has "contains no bytes". I assume you mean to put "reads" rather than "contains".

I have not pushed it yet so I will change that in place before doing so.

Thanks,

Brian
123