RFR: 8080345: With perm gen gone, perfdata counter sun.gc.policy.generations should be 2, not 3

RFR: 8080345: With perm gen gone, perfdata counter sun.gc.policy.generations should be 2, not 3

Erik Helin-2
Hi all,

I picked up this patch that Ramki posted quite a while ago: when I
updated the tooling I forgot to update the performance counter
'sun.gc.policy.generations'. This patch takes care of this problem,
sun.gc.policy.generations now reports 2 instead of 3.

I also added a test that verifies the fix. As part of adding the test I
had to move the test support classes PerfCounter.java and
PerfCounters.java from test/hotspot/jtreg/gc/metaspace to
test/hotspot/jtreg/gc/testlibrary.

Bug:

Patch:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8080345/00/

Testing:
- hs tier1-5
- newly added jtreg test
- jstat and jstatd tests under test/jdk/sun/tools/jstat{d}

Thanks,
Erik

Re: RFR: 8080345: With perm gen gone, perfdata counter sun.gc.policy.generations should be 2, not 3

Thomas Schatzl
Hi,

On Fri, 2017-11-24 at 16:38 +0100, Erik Helin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I picked up this patch that Ramki posted quite a while ago: when I
> updated the tooling I forgot to update the performance counter
> 'sun.gc.policy.generations'. This patch takes care of this problem,
> sun.gc.policy.generations now reports 2 instead of 3.
>
> I also added a test that verifies the fix. As part of adding the test
> had to move the test support classes PerfCounter.java and
> PerfCounters.java from test/hotspot/jtreg/gc/metaspace to
> test/hotspot/jtreg/gc/testlibrary.
>
> Bug:
>
> Patch:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8080345/00/
>
> Testing:
> - hs tier1-5
> - newly added jtreg test
> - jstat and jstatd tests under test/jdk/sun/tools/jstat{d}

  looks good.

Thomas

Re: RFR: 8080345: With perm gen gone, perfdata counter sun.gc.policy.generations should be 2, not 3

Stefan Johansson
Hi Erik,

Thanks for taking care of this patch.

On 2017-11-24 16:38, Erik Helin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I picked up this patch that Ramki posted quite a while ago: when I
> updated the tooling I forgot to update the performance counter
> 'sun.gc.policy.generations'. This patch takes care of this problem,
> sun.gc.policy.generations now reports 2 instead of 3.
>
> I also added a test that verifies the fix. As part of adding the test
> I had to move the test support classes PerfCounter.java and
> PerfCounters.java from test/hotspot/jtreg/gc/metaspace to
> test/hotspot/jtreg/gc/testlibrary.
>
> Bug:
>
> Patch:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8080345/00/