RFR: 8170681 : Remove fontconfig header files from JDK source tree

RFR: 8170681 : Remove fontconfig header files from JDK source tree

Phil Race
Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~prr/8170681/

This fix removes the copy of fontconfig.h from the JDK sources.

The file was originally included in the JDK sources because the
build platforms of the day were too old to include it.

It will henceforth rely on finding it in the build environment for
Linux and Solaris.

The build has been tested on all platforms.

The updated generated-configure.sh is not shown here since its
diff is not useful (easy to read) but will be checked in as part of the fix.

-phil.

Re: RFR: 8170681 : Remove fontconfig header files from JDK source tree

Sergey Bylokhov
Hi, Phil.
Should we update help.m4 as well and add a message for fontconfig like
we do for cups and others?
     cups)
       PKGHANDLER_COMMAND="sudo apt-get install libcups2-dev" ;;
     cups)
       PKGHANDLER_COMMAND="sudo yum install cups-devel" ;;

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: RFR: 8170681 : Remove fontconfig header files from JDK source tree

Erik Joelsson
Hello,

Expanding the help as Sergey suggests is a good idea. The package on
Ubuntu is called libfontconfig1-dev and on Redhat fontconfig-devel.

In lib-fontconfig.m4, line 72, no need to look for the same header twice.

Otherwise this looks good.

/Erik

On 2017-10-24 23:15, Philip Race wrote:

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~prr/8170681/
>
> This fix removes the copy of fontconfig.h from the JDK sources.
>
> The file was originally included in the JDK sources because the
> build platforms of the day were too old to include it.
>
> It will henceforth rely on finding it in the build environment for
> Linux and Solaris.
>
> The build has been tested on all platforms.
>
> The updated generated-configure.sh is not shown here since its
> diff is not useful (easy to read) but will be checked in as part of
> the fix.
>
> -phil.

Re: RFR: 8170681 : Remove fontconfig header files from JDK source tree

Phil Race
Updated webrev posted as http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~prr/8170681.1

-phil.

On 10/25/2017 01:04 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Expanding the help as Sergey suggests is a good idea. The package on
> Ubuntu is called libfontconfig1-dev and on Redhat fontconfig-devel.
>
> In lib-fontconfig.m4, line 72, no need to look for the same header twice.
>
> Otherwise this looks good.
>
> /Erik
>

> On 2017-10-24 23:15, Philip Race wrote:
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~prr/8170681/
>>
>> This fix removes the copy of fontconfig.h from the JDK sources.
>>
>> The file was originally included in the JDK sources because the
>> build platforms of the day were too old to include it.
>>
>> It will henceforth rely on finding it in the build environment for
>> Linux and Solaris.
>>
>> The build has been tested on all platforms.
>>
>> The updated generated-configure.sh is not shown here since its
>> diff is not useful (easy to read) but will be checked in as part of
>> the fix.
>>
>> -phil.

Re: RFR: 8170681 : Remove fontconfig header files from JDK source tree

Erik Joelsson
Looks good.

/Erik