RFR 8175013: Add @Generated Annotation

Lance Andersen
Hi all,

Per the discussion [1],  please find the webrev for adding a replacement  annotation for javax.annotation.Generated .

The CCC has been approved.

The webrev can be found at: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lancea/8175013/webrev.00/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lancea/8175013/webrev.00/>

Best
Lance

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2017-February/011320.html <http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2017-February/011320.html>

 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>
 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif> <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>
 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: RFR 8175013: Add @Generated Annotation

Alan Bateman

It would be good to have a link from the old @Generated to the new.

-Alan

Re: RFR 8175013: Add @Generated Annotation

Lance Andersen
I can ask Roman to include that in the update that he is working on.

Best
Lance

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 9:51 AM, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 16/03/2017 13:42, Lance Andersen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Per the discussion [1],  please find the webrev for adding a replacement  annotation for javax.annotation.Generated .
>>
> It would be good to have a link from the old @Generated to the new.
>
> -Alan

 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>
 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif> <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>
 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: RFR 8175013: Add @Generated Annotation

Remi Forax
And deprecate the old.

Maybe it will be done as a part of another commit given javax.annotation.Generated is in another workspace.

so i've added compiler-dev, since this will be commited to langtools.

Rémi

> On 16/03/2017 13:42, Lance Andersen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Per the discussion [1],  please find the webrev for adding a replacement
>> annotation for javax.annotation.Generated .
>>

> It would be good to have a link from the old @Generated to the new.
>
> -Alan

Re: RFR 8175013: Add @Generated Annotation

Lance Andersen
Hi Remi,

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 10:32 AM, Remi Forax <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And deprecate the old.

We will be deprecating the Java EE modules in Java SE so in a sense that is happening.

It would require an MR to common annotations to deprecate the annotation in javax.annotation. and the Java EE folks do not have an MR planned at this time for that JSR

Best
Lance

> Maybe it will be done as a part of another commit given javax.annotation.Generated is in another workspace.
>
> so i've added compiler-dev, since this will be commited to langtools.
>
> Rémi

Ron Shapiro
Are there any plans to make the new @Generated annotation have CLASS
retention? We have a number of compile-time tools that would like to know
when files are generated. No need at runtime, but it would be good to have
this information stick around.

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 7:52 AM Lance Andersen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

[...]

Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037 <(781)%20442-2037>
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803

Re: RFR 8175013: Add @Generated Annotation

Stephen Colebourne-2
+1, I think retention beyond SOURCE makes sense.
Stephen

On 16/03/2017 15:44, Ron Shapiro wrote:

> Are there any plans to make the new @Generated annotation have CLASS
> retention? We have a number of compile-time tools that would like to
> know when files are generated. No need at runtime, but it would be
> good to have this information stick around.

JSR-250 has had @Generated fro 10+ years and it would be useful to see
if they have had any similar feedback.

-Alan

Re: RFR 8175013: Add @Generated Annotation

Lance Andersen
I have update the webrev to remove MODULE as a Target for now as javax.annotations.processing uses the JDK 8 compiler during the build process.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lancea/8175013/webrev.01 <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lancea/8175013/webrev.01>

Given where we are in the JDK 9 timeline, I prefer to not to change the Retention value.  We can have a discussion for JDK 10 regarding the merits of changing the value.  Right now the intent is to have a replacement for the JSR 250 flavor of this annotation to provide for an easier transition.

Best
Lance