RFR 8176471: [TESTBUG] runtime/modules/IgnoreModulePropertiesTest.java fails with OpenJDK: java.lang.RuntimeException: 'java version ' missing from stdout/stderr

RFR 8176471: [TESTBUG] runtime/modules/IgnoreModulePropertiesTest.java fails with OpenJDK: java.lang.RuntimeException: 'java version ' missing from stdout/stderr

harold seigel
Hi,

Please review these fixes for two tests that incorrectly parse the
output from 'java -version' commands for the open jdk build.

Open Webrevs:

    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8176471_jdk/webrev/

    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8176471_hs/webrev/

JBS Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176471

The fixed tests were tested on open fastdebug and product builds, and on
a fastdebug closed build.

Thanks, Harold

Re: RFR 8176471: [TESTBUG] runtime/modules/IgnoreModulePropertiesTest.java fails with OpenJDK: java.lang.RuntimeException: 'java version ' missing from stdout/stderr

coleen.phillimore
Looks good.  I think under the trivial fix rules, you can check this in
with one reviewer.
thanks,
Coleen

On 3/13/17 3:18 PM, harold seigel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please review these fixes for two tests that incorrectly parse the
> output from 'java -version' commands for the open jdk build.
>
> Open Webrevs:
>
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8176471_jdk/webrev/
>
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8176471_hs/webrev/
>
> JBS Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176471
>
> The fixed tests were tested on open fastdebug and product builds, and
> on a fastdebug closed build.
>
> Thanks, Harold

Re: RFR 8176471: [TESTBUG] runtime/modules/IgnoreModulePropertiesTest.java fails with OpenJDK: java.lang.RuntimeException: 'java version ' missing from stdout/stderr

harold seigel
Thanks Coleen!

Harold

On 3/13/2017 3:58 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Looks good.  I think under the trivial fix rules, you can check this
> in with one reviewer.
> thanks,
> Coleen
>
> On 3/13/17 3:18 PM, harold seigel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please review these fixes for two tests that incorrectly parse the
>> output from 'java -version' commands for the open jdk build.
>>
>> Open Webrevs:
>>
>>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8176471_jdk/webrev/
>>
>>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8176471_hs/webrev/
>>
>> JBS Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176471
>>
>> The fixed tests were tested on open fastdebug and product builds, and
>> on a fastdebug closed build.
>>
>> Thanks, Harold

Re: RFR 8176471: [TESTBUG] runtime/modules/IgnoreModulePropertiesTest.java fails with OpenJDK: java.lang.RuntimeException: 'java version ' missing from stdout/stderr

Hi Harold,

On 14/03/2017 5:18 AM, harold seigel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please review these fixes for two tests that incorrectly parse the
> output from 'java -version' commands for the open jdk build.

I agree these changes will "fix" the tests when run on OpenJDK build.

However I don't see how checking for these strings is actually testing
anything relevant to the test being executed.

> Open Webrevs:
>
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8176471_jdk/webrev/
>
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8176471_hs/webrev/
>
> JBS Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176471
>
> The fixed tests were tested on open fastdebug and product builds, and on
> a fastdebug closed build.
>
> Thanks, Harold

Re: RFR 8176471: [TESTBUG] runtime/modules/IgnoreModulePropertiesTest.java fails with OpenJDK: java.lang.RuntimeException: 'java version ' missing from stdout/stderr

harold seigel
Hi David,

Thanks for looking at this change.

I thought about removing the string checks and just relying on the calls
to output.shouldHaveExitValue(0) to indicate success. But ultimately
decided to keep the string checks.  Perhaps they check that 'java
-version' produced actual output?

Harold