RFR: 8182758: Remove the Native-Header Generation Tool (javah)

RFR: 8182758: Remove the Native-Header Generation Tool (javah)

Jonathan Gibbons
Please review a fix to remove the javah tool, as previously advertised
in JDK-8152360. (The replacement is to use the javac -h option.)

Not surprisingly, most of this is removing code, with just a couple of src/
files being modified, as well as some tests.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8182758/webrev.00/

-- Jon

Re: RFR: 8182758: Remove the Native-Header Generation Tool (javah)

Maurizio Cimadamore
Looks great. Only doubt: do we have enough tests for the javah
replacement? I see that this patch removes several tests and, while I
agree they don't make sense in the new, javac-driven world, I wonder if
some of those tests should be converted in order to stress similar edge
cases in the new counterpart. That said - the 'new' tests under
test/tools/javac/nativeHeaders/javahComparison/ seems very
comprehensive, so they probably already cover whatever was covered by
the old tests.

Maurizio

On 09/11/17 23:42, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:

> Please review a fix to remove the javah tool, as previously advertised
> in JDK-8152360. (The replacement is to use the javac -h option.)
>
> Not surprisingly, most of this is removing code, with just a couple of
> src/
> files being modified, as well as some tests.

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8182758/webrev.00/
>
> -- Jon

Re: RFR: 8182758: Remove the Native-Header Generation Tool (javah)

Jonathan Gibbons
Hi Maurizio,

The old tests for javah were, well, old, and at least in some cases,
inductive ... they tested against prior behavior.

By contrast, the tests for "javac -h" were written from scratch to give
more comprehensive coverage for the different signatures. In addition,
"javac -h" was added in JDK 8 and has been in regular use in the main
JDK build since then, without problems.

-- Jon

On 11/28/17 5:42 AM, Maurizio Cimadamore wrote:

> Looks great. Only doubt: do we have enough tests for the javah
> replacement? I see that this patch removes several tests and, while I
> agree they don't make sense in the new, javac-driven world, I wonder
> if some of those tests should be converted in order to stress similar
> edge cases in the new counterpart. That said - the 'new' tests under
> test/tools/javac/nativeHeaders/javahComparison/ seems very
> comprehensive, so they probably already cover whatever was covered by
> the old tests.
>
> Maurizio
>

> On 09/11/17 23:42, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
>> Please review a fix to remove the javah tool, as previously advertised
>> in JDK-8152360. (The replacement is to use the javac -h option.)
>>
>> Not surprisingly, most of this is removing code, with just a couple
>> of src/
>> files being modified, as well as some tests.
>>
>> JBS: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8182758
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8182758/webrev.00/
>>
>> -- Jon

Re: RFR: 8182758: Remove the Native-Header Generation Tool (javah)

Jonathan Gibbons
Minor tweak to the previous round: a dangling reference to javah was
removed from the doc comment in the jdk.compiler module-info (line 30).

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8182758/webrev.01/src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/module-info.java.sdiff.html

Updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8182758/webrev.01/

-- Jon

On 11/09/2017 03:42 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:

> Please review a fix to remove the javah tool, as previously advertised
> in JDK-8152360. (The replacement is to use the javac -h option.)
>
> Not surprisingly, most of this is removing code, with just a couple of
> src/
> files being modified, as well as some tests.

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8182758/webrev.00/
>
> -- Jon

Re: RFR: 8182758: Remove the Native-Header Generation Tool (javah)

Kumar Srinivasan
Looks good.

Kumar