RFR 8184744 : Replace finalizer in crypto classes with Cleaner

RFR 8184744 : Replace finalizer in crypto classes with Cleaner

roger riggs
Please review replacing finalize with java.lang.ref.Cleaner in a few
simple cases.

Webrev:
    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rriggs/webrev-crypt-finalize-8184744/

Thanks, Roger

Re: RFR 8184744 : Replace finalizer in crypto classes with Cleaner

roger riggs
Found a race in the tests between the Cleaner clearing the arrays and
the test waiting for the key to be freed.
Revised to continuously check the arrays and exit when they are
cleared.  If not cleared the test will timeout.

Updated the webrev:

On 8/3/2017 9:58 AM, Roger Riggs wrote:
> Please review replacing finalize with java.lang.ref.Cleaner in a few
> simple cases.
>
> Webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rriggs/webrev-crypt-finalize-8184744/
>
> Thanks, Roger

Re: RFR 8184744 : Replace finalizer in crypto classes with Cleaner

Mandy Chung
Thanks for doing this.  It’s good to see JDK finalizes being replaced.

It looks good to me.  I wonder if there is any existing security utility class that may be a good place for this zero-ing byte array method to share.  Sean and other may have opinion.

Mandy

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 1:01 PM, Roger Riggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Found a race in the tests between the Cleaner clearing the arrays and the test waiting for the key to be freed.
> Revised to continuously check the arrays and exit when they are cleared.  If not cleared the test will timeout.
>
> Updated the webrev:
>  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rriggs/webrev-crypt-finalize-8184744/
>
> Thanks, Roger
>
> On 8/3/2017 9:58 AM, Roger Riggs wrote:
>> Please review replacing finalize with java.lang.ref.Cleaner in a few simple cases.
>>
>> Webrev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rriggs/webrev-crypt-finalize-8184744/
>>
>> Thanks, Roger

Re: RFR 8184744 : Replace finalizer in crypto classes with Cleaner

roger riggs
Hi Mandy,

On 8/3/2017 4:13 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
Thanks for doing this.  It’s good to see JDK finalizes being replaced.

It looks good to me.  I wonder if there is any existing security utility class that may be a good place for this zero-ing byte array method to share.  Sean and other may have opinion.
There are very few of these cases and I think it is better to keep the code close to the use.
If there's good place to put a method for this purpose, let me know.