RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

Yasumasa Suenaga-4
Hi all,

This review request is a part of [1].

JBS:

webrev:
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ysuenaga/JDK-8187401/webrev.00/

I cannot access JPRT. So I need a sponsor.

Thanks,

Yasumasa

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2017-September/021821.html

PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

Yasumasa Suenaga-4
PING:

Have you checked this issue?

On 2017/09/11 11:16, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This review request is a part of [1].
>

> JBS:
>    https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8187401
>
> webrev:
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ysuenaga/JDK-8187401/webrev.00/
>

> I cannot access JPRT. So I need a sponsor.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Yasumasa
>

> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2017-September/021821.html

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

serguei.spitsyn@oracle.com
Hi Yasumasa,

This fix looks Ok to me but you need to add a unit test.

Thanks,
Serguei

On 9/20/17 15:47, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:

> PING:
>
> Have you checked this issue?
>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ysuenaga/JDK-8187401/webrev.00/
>

> Yasumasa
>

> On 2017/09/11 11:16, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This review request is a part of [1].
>>

>> JBS:
>>    https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8187401
>>
>> webrev:
>>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ysuenaga/JDK-8187401/webrev.00/
>>

>> I cannot access JPRT. So I need a sponsor.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Yasumasa
>>

>> [1]
>> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2017-September/021821.html

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

Yasumasa Suenaga-4
Hi Serguei,

Thank you for your comment!

> This fix looks Ok to me but you need to add a unit test.

 I guess it is caused by inlined method which is generated by JIT
compiler. I don't know how to reproduce it on jtreg test.
Do you have any idea for it?

Yasumasa

On 9/26/17 02:41, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:
> Hi Serguei,
>
> Thank you for your comment!
>
>> This fix looks Ok to me but you need to add a unit test.
>   I guess it is caused by inlined method which is generated by JIT
> compiler. I don't know how to reproduce it on jtreg test.
> Do you have any idea for it?

I'm not sure what exact problem you have with jtreg.
You may want to try to use other jtreg tests as examples.

Thanks,
Serguei

> Yasumasa

> <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Yasumasa,
>>
>> This fix looks Ok to me but you need to add a unit test.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Serguei
>>

>> On 9/20/17 15:47, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:
>>> PING:
>>>
>>> Have you checked this issue?

>>> Yasumasa

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

David Holmes
Hi Sergeui,

On 27/09/2017 3:51 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Yasumasa,
>

> On 9/26/17 02:41, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:
>> Hi Serguei,
>>
>> Thank you for your comment!
>>
>>> This fix looks Ok to me but you need to add a unit test.
>>   I guess it is caused by inlined method which is generated by JIT
>> compiler. I don't know how to reproduce it on jtreg test.
>> Do you have any idea for it?
>
> I'm not sure what exact problem you have with jtreg.
> You may want to try to use other jtreg tests as examples.

I see two problems:

1. hsdb is an interactive GUI tool
2. The problem seems related to JIT inlining - so how do you force that
in a test?

I would think this is a noreg-hard situation. As long as there is a
manual reproducer that can be used to verify the fix - as per the bug
report - that should be okay IMHO.

> Serguei
>
>> Yasumasa

>> <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi Yasumasa,
>>>
>>> This fix looks Ok to me but you need to add a unit test.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Serguei

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

serguei.spitsyn@oracle.com
Hi David,

On 9/26/17 15:09, David Holmes wrote:

> Hi Sergeui,

>> Hi Yasumasa,
>>

>> On 9/26/17 02:41, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:
>>> Hi Serguei,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your comment!

>>>   I guess it is caused by inlined method which is generated by JIT
>>> compiler. I don't know how to reproduce it on jtreg test.
>>> Do you have any idea for it?
>>
>> I'm not sure what exact problem you have with jtreg.
>> You may want to try to use other jtreg tests as examples.
>
> I see two problems:
>
> 1. hsdb is an interactive GUI tool

There is already at least one jtreg hsdb test:
   open/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa/JhsdbThreadInfoTest.java

Not sure, if this example would help in this case though.

> 2. The problem seems related to JIT inlining - so how do you force
> that in a test?

Then I wonder how was it forced in the manual reproducer?
The fact it is fixed has to be verified anyway.

> I would think this is a noreg-hard situation. As long as there is a
> manual reproducer that can be used to verify the fix - as per the bug
> report - that should be okay IMHO.

I'm Ok with adding noreg-hard label if it is hard to develop.

Thanks,
Serguei

On 9/26/17 15:52, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> On 9/26/17 15:09, David Holmes wrote:
>> Hi Sergeui,

>>> Hi Yasumasa,

>>> I'm not sure what exact problem you have with jtreg.
>>> You may want to try to use other jtreg tests as examples.
>>
>> I see two problems:
>>
>> 1. hsdb is an interactive GUI tool
>
> There is already at least one jtreg hsdb test:
> open/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa/JhsdbThreadInfoTest.java
>
> Not sure, if this example would help in this case though.

It seems, this test example won't help much as it is too simple.

Thanks,
Serguei

On 27/09/2017 8:52 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> On 9/26/17 15:09, David Holmes wrote:
>> Hi Sergeui,

>>> Hi Yasumasa,

>>> I'm not sure what exact problem you have with jtreg.
>>> You may want to try to use other jtreg tests as examples.
>>
>> I see two problems:
>>
>> 1. hsdb is an interactive GUI tool
>
> There is already at least one jtreg hsdb test:
>    open/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa/JhsdbThreadInfoTest.java
>
> Not sure, if this example would help in this case though.
>
>> 2. The problem seems related to JIT inlining - so how do you force
>> that in a test?
>
> Then I wonder how was it forced in the manual reproducer?
> The fact it is fixed has to be verified anyway.

Well the reproducer happens to hit the issue, so we can use it to
manually verify.

>> I would think this is a noreg-hard situation. As long as there is a
>> manual reproducer that can be used to verify the fix - as per the bug
>> report - that should be okay IMHO.
>
> I'm Ok with adding noreg-hard label if it is hard to develop.

Sounds good to me. The manual verification steps should be very clearly
spelt out in the bug report so that even someone unfamiliar with hsdb
(like me!) can follow them easily.

On 9/26/17 16:22, David Holmes wrote:

>> Hi David,
>>

>> On 9/26/17 15:09, David Holmes wrote:
>>> Hi Sergeui,

>>> I see two problems:
>>>
>>> 1. hsdb is an interactive GUI tool
>>
>> There is already at least one jtreg hsdb test:
>> open/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa/JhsdbThreadInfoTest.java
>>
>> Not sure, if this example would help in this case though.
>>
>>> 2. The problem seems related to JIT inlining - so how do you force
>>> that in a test?
>>
>> Then I wonder how was it forced in the manual reproducer?
>> The fact it is fixed has to be verified anyway.
>
> Well the reproducer happens to hit the issue, so we can use it to
> manually verify.
>
>>> I would think this is a noreg-hard situation. As long as there is a
>>> manual reproducer that can be used to verify the fix - as per the
>>> bug report - that should be okay IMHO.
>>
>> I'm Ok with adding noreg-hard label if it is hard to develop.
>
> Sounds good to me. The manual verification steps should be very
> clearly spelt out in the bug report so that even someone unfamiliar
> with hsdb (like me!) can follow them easily.

Sounds good, thanks.
Serguei

> Cheers,

>> Serguei
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

Yasumasa Suenaga-4
Hi David, Serguei,

I added noreg-hard label and how to reproduce to JBS:

Also I uploaded new webrev for jdk10/hs:

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ysuenaga/JDK-8187401/webrev.01/

Thanks,

Yasumasa

<[hidden email]>:

> On 9/26/17 16:22, David Holmes wrote:

>>> Hi David,

>>> There is already at least one jtreg hsdb test:
>>> open/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa/JhsdbThreadInfoTest.java
>>>
>>> Not sure, if this example would help in this case though.

>>> Then I wonder how was it forced in the manual reproducer?
>>> The fact it is fixed has to be verified anyway.
>>

>> Well the reproducer happens to hit the issue, so we can use it to manually
>> verify.

>>> I'm Ok with adding noreg-hard label if it is hard to develop.
>>

>> Sounds good to me. The manual verification steps should be very clearly
>> spelt out in the bug report so that even someone unfamiliar with hsdb (like
>> me!) can follow them easily.
>

> Sounds good, thanks.
>
> Serguei
>

>> Cheers,

>>> Serguei

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

Yasumasa Suenaga-4
Hi all,

This change has been reviewed by Serguei.
I'm waiting for another reviewer.

Thanks,

Yasumasa

<[hidden email]>:
> On 9/26/17 16:22, David Holmes wrote:

>>> Hi David,

>>> There is already at least one jtreg hsdb test:
>>> open/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa/JhsdbThreadInfoTest.java
>>>
>>> Not sure, if this example would help in this case though.

>>> Then I wonder how was it forced in the manual reproducer?
>>> The fact it is fixed has to be verified anyway.
>>

>> Well the reproducer happens to hit the issue, so we can use it to manually
>> verify.

>>> I'm Ok with adding noreg-hard label if it is hard to develop.
>>

>> Sounds good to me. The manual verification steps should be very clearly
>> spelt out in the bug report so that even someone unfamiliar with hsdb (like
>> me!) can follow them easily.
>

> Sounds good, thanks.
>
> Serguei
>

>> Cheers,

>>> Serguei

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

Jini George
Hi Yasumasa,

Your changes look good. One point I want to make is that we have the
enum BasicTypeSize redefined in SA as public static final values, and
this makes it error prone when existing enum values change, just as in
this case. An ideal solution would be to include this in vmStructs.cpp
as a declare_constant() macro, and read this in SA with the
db.lookupIntConstant() method. This would insulate SA from enum value
changes in hotspot to some extent -- but this is just a suggestion, and
you can chose to ignore this, since this would mean changing all the
following values in BasicType.

   public static final int tBoolean     = 4;
   public static final int tChar        = 5;
   public static final int tFloat       = 6;
   public static final int tDouble      = 7;
   public static final int tByte        = 8;
   public static final int tShort       = 9;
   public static final int tInt         = 10;
   public static final int tLong        = 11;
   public static final int tObject      = 12;
   public static final int tArray       = 13;
   public static final int tVoid        = 14;
   public static final int tAddress     = 15;
   public static final int tNarrowOop   = 16;
   public static final int tMetadata    = 17;
   public static final int tNarrowKlass = 18;
   public static final int tConflict    = 19;
   public static final int tIllegal     = 99;

Thank you,
Jini (Not a Reviewer).

On 9/29/2017 2:58 PM, Yasumasa Suenaga wrote:

> [...]
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>>>>> I cannot access JPRT. So I need a sponsor.
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>>>>> Thanks,
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>>>>> Yasumasa
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>>>>> [1]
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>>>>>
>     http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2017-September/021821.html
>     <http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2017-September/021821.html>
>      >>>>>>>>>
>      >>>>>
>      >>>
>      >

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

Hi Jini,

> Your changes look good.

Thanks!

> One point I want to make is that we have the
> enum BasicTypeSize redefined in SA as public static final values,

I will update BasicTypeSize in new webrev.

> An ideal solution would be to include this in vmStructs.cpp
> as a declare_constant() macro, and read this in SA with the
> db.lookupIntConstant() method.

I agree with you, but I think it should be another issue (enhancement).
I've proposed to change of BasicType in 8185796 [1]. I can file it to JBS now, but I want to create a patch after 8185796 and 8187401 (They are waiting for reviewer(s)).

Thanks,

Yasumasa

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2017-September/021926.html

On 2017/10/06 14:31, Jini George wrote:

> [...]
>>       >>>>>>>>> Thanks,
>>       >>>>>>>>>
>>       >>>>>>>>> Yasumasa
>>       >>>>>>>>>
>>       >>>>>>>>>
>>       >>>>>>>>> [1]
>>       >>>>>>>>>
>>       >>>>>>>>>
>>      http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2017-September/021821.html
>>      <http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2017-September/021821.html>
>>       >>>>>>>>>
>>       >>>>>
>>       >>>
>>       >

Re: PING: RFR: 8187401: Java Stack cannot be shown on HSDB

Jini George

>> One point I want to make is that we have the
>> enum BasicTypeSize redefined in SA as public static final values,
>
> I will update BasicTypeSize in new webrev.

Sorry Yasumasa, I meant BasicType only.

Thanks,
Jini.

2017/10/07 0:09 "Jini George" <[hidden email]>:

One point I want to make is that we have the
enum BasicTypeSize redefined in SA as public static final values,

I will update BasicTypeSize in new webrev.

Sorry Yasumasa, I meant BasicType only.

Ok, I continue to wait for second reviewer.

Thanks,

Yasumasa

Thanks,
Jini.