RFR 8191986: TLAB refills for Aarch64

JC Beyler
Hi all,

The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different
for each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never
actually never refilled (ref:
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).

The idea behind the implementation for Aarch64 is the same as for
Sparc/X86/Arm and is to do one thing:
  - separate TLAB usage to contiguous allocations in eden space.

WebRev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191986/webrev.02/

Does anyone see any issues with this webrev? Could someone test/verify
it please?

Thanks for your help,
Jc

Re: RFR 8191986: TLAB refills for Aarch64

Dmitry Samersoff-3
JC Beyler,

I'll test the fix.

-Dmitry

On 14.12.2017 19:09, JC Beyler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different
> for each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never
> actually never refilled (ref:
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).
>
> The idea behind the implementation for Aarch64 is the same as for
> Sparc/X86/Arm and is to do one thing:
>   - separate TLAB usage to contiguous allocations in eden space.

> WebRev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191986/webrev.02/
>
> Does anyone see any issues with this webrev? Could someone test/verify
> it please?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jc

Re: RFR 8191986: TLAB refills for Aarch64

Andrew Dinn
On 15/12/17 14:54, Dmitry Samersov wrote:
> JC Beyler,
>
> I'll test the fix.
No need -- I have already done so and it is fine.

regards,

Andrew Dinn
-----------
Senior Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat UK Ltd

Re: RFR 8191986: TLAB refills for Aarch64

Thomas Schatzl

On Thu, 2017-12-14 at 08:09 -0800, JC Beyler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different
> for each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never
> actually never refilled (ref:
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).
>
> The idea behind the implementation for Aarch64 is the same as for
> Sparc/X86/Arm and is to do one thing:
>   - separate TLAB usage to contiguous allocations in eden space.

> WebRev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191986/webrev.02/
>
> Does anyone see any issues with this webrev? Could someone
> test/verify
> it please?

  looks good to me.

Thomas

Re: RFR 8191986: TLAB refills for Aarch64

Dmitry Samersoff-3
Andrew,

> No need -- I have already done so and it is fine.

Thank you.

The fix looks good to me as well.

-Dmitry

On 15.12.2017 17:58, Andrew Dinn wrote:

> On 15/12/17 14:54, Dmitry Samersov wrote:
>> JC Beyler,
>>
>> I'll test the fix.
> No need -- I have already done so and it is fine.
>
> regards,
>

> Andrew Dinn
> -----------
> Senior Principal Software Engineer
> Red Hat UK Ltd
> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
> Directors: Michael Cunningham, Michael ("Mike") O'Neill, Eric Shander

Re: RFR 8191986: TLAB refills for Aarch64

JC Beyler
Thanks all for testing it :)
Jc

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Dmitry Samersov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
>> No need -- I have already done so and it is fine.
>
> Thank you.
>
> The fix looks good to me as well.
>
> -Dmitry
>

> On 15.12.2017 17:58, Andrew Dinn wrote:
>> On 15/12/17 14:54, Dmitry Samersov wrote:
>>> JC Beyler,
>>>
>>> I'll test the fix.
>> No need -- I have already done so and it is fine.
>>
>> regards,
>>

>> Andrew Dinn
>> -----------
>> Senior Principal Software Engineer
>> Red Hat UK Ltd
>> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
>> Directors: Michael Cunningham, Michael ("Mike") O'Neill, Eric Shander

Re: RFR 8191986: TLAB refills for Aarch64

JC Beyler
Hi,

I moved the webrev to here:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jcbeyler/8191986/webrev.01/

Let me know if there are any issues there,
Jc