RFR 8191987: TLAB Refills for PPC64

JC Beyler
Hi all,

The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different
for each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never
actually never refilled (ref:
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).

The PPC patch really only removes the code that augments the TLAB
waste limit since that is already done in the common code slow path.

Due to a double jump, there is an additional change to have code from
SkipIfEqualZero available so that we don't have to manually generate
that code in the template code.

WebRev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191987/webrev.03/

Let me know what you think and if someone could test/verify it, that
would be great.

Thanks for your help,
Jc

Re: RFR 8191987: TLAB Refills for PPC64

JC Beyler
Please see the updated webrev :)

WebRev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jcbeyler/8191987/webrev.03/

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:30 PM, JC Beyler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different
> for each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never
> actually never refilled (ref:
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).
>
> The PPC patch really only removes the code that augments the TLAB
> waste limit since that is already done in the common code slow path.
>
> Due to a double jump, there is an additional change to have code from
> SkipIfEqualZero available so that we don't have to manually generate
> that code in the template code.

> WebRev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191987/webrev.03/
>
> Let me know what you think and if someone could test/verify it, that
> would be great.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jc

RE: RFR 8191987: TLAB Refills for PPC64

Doerr, Martin
Hi Jc,

excellent. I didn't really like the usage of SkipIfEqualZero in the current code. I prefer your version.
I can push it after we got a 2nd review.

Thanks and best regards,
Martin

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:30 PM, JC Beyler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different
> for each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never
> actually never refilled (ref:
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).
>
> The PPC patch really only removes the code that augments the TLAB
> waste limit since that is already done in the common code slow path.
>
> Due to a double jump, there is an additional change to have code from
> SkipIfEqualZero available so that we don't have to manually generate
> that code in the template code.

> WebRev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191987/webrev.03/
>
> Let me know what you think and if someone could test/verify it, that
> would be great.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jc

RE: RFR 8191987: TLAB Refills for PPC64

Lindenmaier, Goetz
Looks good, thanks for the cleanup.

Best regards,
  Goetz.

pushed to jdk/hs.

Thanks everyone and best regards,
Martin

> excellent. I didn't really like the usage of SkipIfEqualZero in the current code.
> I prefer your version.
> I can push it after we got a 2nd review.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Martin

Thanks a lot all for the reviews and push :)
Jc