RFR 8191989: TLAB Refills for Sparc

JC Beyler
Hi all,

The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different for
each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never actually never
refilled (ref:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).

The idea behind the implementation for Sparc is to do two things:
  - separate TLAB usage to contiguous allocations in eden space.
  - remove the code that augments the TLAB waste limit since that is
already done in the common code slow path

WebRev: *http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.01/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.01/>*

Does anyone see any issues with this webrev?

Thanks for your help,
Jc

Re: RFR 8191989: TLAB Refills for Sparc

Robbin Ehn
Hi JC,

Passes tier1-5.

Looks good, thanks for fixing!

/Robbin

On 2017-12-01 01:58, JC Beyler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different for
> each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never actually never
> refilled (ref:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).
>
> The idea behind the implementation for Sparc is to do two things:
>    - separate TLAB usage to contiguous allocations in eden space.
>    - remove the code that augments the TLAB waste limit since that is
> already done in the common code slow path

> WebRev: *http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.01/
> <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.01/>*
>
> Does anyone see any issues with this webrev?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jc

Re: RFR 8191989: TLAB Refills for Sparc

Thomas Schatzl

On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 16:58 -0800, JC Beyler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different
> for
> each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never actually
> never
> refilled (ref:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).
>
> The idea behind the implementation for Sparc is to do two things:
>   - separate TLAB usage to contiguous allocations in eden space.
>   - remove the code that augments the TLAB waste limit since that is
> already done in the common code slow path

> WebRev: *http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.01/
> <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.01/>*
>
> Does anyone see any issues with this webrev?

  same comment as the x86 change, otherwise looks good.

Thanks,
  Thomas

Re: RFR 8191989: TLAB Refills for Sparc

JC Beyler
Hi Thomas,

I fixed it here:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.02/

Let me know if it is better, I did the same for x86.

Thanks!
Jc

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Thomas Schatzl <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 16:58 -0800, JC Beyler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The TLAB and the inline contiguous allocations handling are different
> > for
> > each architecture. On certain architectures, TLAB is never actually
> > never
> > refilled (ref:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190862).
> >
> > The idea behind the implementation for Sparc is to do two things:
> >   - separate TLAB usage to contiguous allocations in eden space.
> >   - remove the code that augments the TLAB waste limit since that is
> > already done in the common code slow path
> >
> > Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8191989
> > WebRev: *http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.01/
> > <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.01/>*
> >
> > Does anyone see any issues with this webrev?
>
>   same comment as the x86 change, otherwise looks good.
>
> Thanks,
>   Thomas

Re: RFR 8191989: TLAB Refills for Sparc

JC Beyler
Hi Thomas,

I did the same change for sparc here (compared to x86):
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.03/

Let me know what you think,
Jc

On Thu, 2017-12-14 at 08:05 -0800, JC Beyler wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I did the same change for sparc here (compared to x86):
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8191989/webrev.03/

I only looked at the comment, which looks good now :)

Thanks,
  Thomas