RFR: 8193065: [TESTBUG]GCSharedStringsDuringDump.java: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: String is not shared.

RFR: 8193065: [TESTBUG]GCSharedStringsDuringDump.java: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: String is not shared.

Jiangli Zhou
Please review the following test fix that detects missing ‘oa region’ as a failure when there are extra allocations/GCs during CDS dump time. When failures are detected, a larger heap size is used for dumping. Please see more detailed analysis in the bug report.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jiangli/8193065/webrev.00/
bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921>

Testing with hs tier1, tier2 and tier7.

Thanks,
Jiangli

Re: RFR: 8193065: [TESTBUG]GCSharedStringsDuringDump.java: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: String is not shared.

harold seigel
Hi Jiangli,

This change looks good.

Thanks, Harold

On 12/5/2017 6:19 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
> Please review the following test fix that detects missing ‘oa region’ as a failure when there are extra allocations/GCs during CDS dump time. When failures are detected, a larger heap size is used for dumping. Please see more detailed analysis in the bug report.
>
> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jiangli/8193065/webrev.00/
> bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921>
>
> Testing with hs tier1, tier2 and tier7.
>
> Thanks,
> Jiangli

Re: RFR: 8193065: [TESTBUG]GCSharedStringsDuringDump.java: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: String is not shared.

Calvin Cheung
Hi Jiangli,

Is it also possible that the st0/st1 space cannot be allocated if
there's no heap space?

Otherwise, it looks good.

thanks,
Calvin

On 12/5/17, 3:19 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
> Please review the following test fix that detects missing ‘oa region’ as a failure when there are extra allocations/GCs during CDS dump time. When failures are detected, a larger heap size is used for dumping. Please see more detailed analysis in the bug report.
>
> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jiangli/8193065/webrev.00/
> bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921>
>
> Testing with hs tier1, tier2 and tier7.
>
> Thanks,
> Jiangli

Re: RFR: 8193065: [TESTBUG]GCSharedStringsDuringDump.java: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: String is not shared.

Jiangli Zhou
Thanks, Harold!

Jiangli

> On Dec 6, 2017, at 5:05 AM, harold seigel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jiangli,
>
> This change looks good.
>
> Thanks, Harold
>

> On 12/5/2017 6:19 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
>> Please review the following test fix that detects missing ‘oa region’ as a failure when there are extra allocations/GCs during CDS dump time. When failures are detected, a larger heap size is used for dumping. Please see more detailed analysis in the bug report.
>>
>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jiangli/8193065/webrev.00/
>> bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921>
>>
>> Testing with hs tier1, tier2 and tier7.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jiangli

Re: RFR: 8193065: [TESTBUG]GCSharedStringsDuringDump.java: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: String is not shared.

Jiangli Zhou
Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the review. There could be only one string region if a single G1 region (in current execution) is large enough for all archived strings, in which case there would be only st0. I’m hesitate to add additional cases in the check for now without seeing the actual failure. We can add new case later if we run into any new failure case and investigate completely.

Thanks,

Jiangli

On 12/6/17, 9:48 AM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
> Hi Calvin,
>
> Thanks for the review. There could be only one string region if a single G1 region (in current execution) is large enough for all archived strings, in which case there would be only st0. I’m hesitate to add additional cases in the check for now without seeing the actual failure. We can add new case later if we run into any new failure case and investigate completely.
Okay.

thanks,
Calvin

>>> Jiangli

Re: RFR: 8193065: [TESTBUG]GCSharedStringsDuringDump.java: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: String is not shared.

Ioi Lam
Do we have any test case that would force a st1 region to be used?

Thanks

- Ioi

On 12/6/17 9:48 AM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:

> Hi Calvin,
>
> Thanks for the review. There could be only one string region if a single G1 region (in current execution) is large enough for all archived strings, in which case there would be only st0. I’m hesitate to add additional cases in the check for now without seeing the actual failure. We can add new case later if we run into any new failure case and investigate completely.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jiangli
>
>> On Dec 6, 2017, at 9:05 AM, Calvin Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jiangli,
>>
>> Is it also possible that the st0/st1 space cannot be allocated if there's no heap space?
>>
>> Otherwise, it looks good.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Calvin
>>
>> On 12/5/17, 3:19 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
>>> Please review the following test fix that detects missing ‘oa region’ as a failure when there are extra allocations/GCs during CDS dump time. When failures are detected, a larger heap size is used for dumping. Please see more detailed analysis in the bug report.
>>>
>>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jiangli/8193065/webrev.00/
>>> bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193065?filter=14921>
>>>
>>> Testing with hs tier1, tier2 and tier7.
>>>
>>> Thanks,