RFR: 8230623: Extract command-line help for -Xlint sub-options to new --help-lint

RFR: 8230623: Extract command-line help for -Xlint sub-options to new --help-lint

Guoxiong Li-2
Hi all,

This patch splits out the concrete keys of -Xlint into a new option, --help-lint,
so that the output of --help-extra is kept clean and concise.

Thank you for taking the time to review.

Best Regards.

 - 8230623: Extract command-line help for -Xlint sub-options to new --help-lint

 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=1758&range=00
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/1758/head:pull/1758

Re: RFR: 8230623: Extract command-line help for -Xlint sub-options to new --help-lint

Jonathan Gibbons-2
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 14:20:45 GMT, Guoxiong Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This patch splits out the concrete keys of -Xlint into a new option, --help-lint,
> so that the output of --help-extra is kept clean and concise.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to review.
>
> Best Regards.

Because a new option is being added, a CSR approval is required.

src/jdk.compiler/share/man/javac.1 line 643:

> 641: .RS
> 642: .RE
> 643: .TP

This change is somewhat problematic. The nroff man files are generated from Markdown files which are not (yet) open source. Don't ask: long story; we're working on it.

The bottom line is that this change should really be made to the upstream Markdown file.  Direct changes to this file are at risk of being overwritten at some point in the future.

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:34:01 GMT, Jonathan Gibbons <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> This patch splits out the concrete keys of -Xlint into a new option, --help-lint,
>> so that the output of --help-extra is kept clean and concise.
>>
>> Thank you for taking the time to review.
>>
>> Best Regards.
>
> Because a new option is being added, a CSR approval is required.

@jonathan-gibbons Could I ask your help to create the CSR request in the bug tracker?

Re: RFR: 8230623: Extract command-line help for -Xlint sub-options to new --help-lint [v2]

Guoxiong Li-2
> Hi all,
>
> This patch splits out the concrete keys of -Xlint into a new option, --help-lint,
> so that the output of --help-extra is kept clean and concise.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to review.
>
> Best Regards.

Guoxiong Li has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:

  Remove the content in documentation javac.1

-------------

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/1758/files/b844e8c4..b73d62e6

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=1758&range=01
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=1758&range=00-01

  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/1758/head:pull/1758

Withdrawn: 8230623: Extract command-line help for -Xlint sub-options to new --help-lint

duke
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 14:20:45 GMT, Guoxiong Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This patch splits out the concrete keys of -Xlint into a new option, --help-lint,
> so that the output of --help-extra is kept clean and concise.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to review.
>
> Best Regards.

This pull request has been closed without being integrated.