Quantcast

RFR 8u backport: 8179084: HotSpot VM fails to start when AggressiveHeap is set

RFR 8u backport: 8179084: HotSpot VM fails to start when AggressiveHeap is set

JDK 9 changeset:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/hotspot/rev/f1cca489e9c6

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8179084/webrev/

The functional fix in arguments.cpp is the same as in 9, just different
line numbers.

The test had to be adjusted for the 8u test environment and other
differences between 8 and 9:
- no @modules needed
- @requires vm.gc.parallel not supported
- test library location and package names are different
- PrintFlagsFinal output is different so needed to change pattern to match

The @requires was there because the test will only work on a VM which
has a default GC that supports parallel GC. The only binaries we have in
8u that would fail this is a JRE/JDK that defaults to the MinimalVM. But
the MinimalVM only supports Compact1 and Compact2, and the test uses
APIs from Compact3 anyway - so I added the test to the needs_compact3
group in TEST.groups to deal with this limitation.

Testing: manual
          JPRT (I added the test to hotspot_gc for testing purposes)

Re: RFR 8u backport: 8179084: HotSpot VM fails to start when AggressiveHeap is set

Kim Barrett
> On Apr 27, 2017, at 8:13 PM, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> JDK 9 changeset: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/hotspot/rev/f1cca489e9c6
>
> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8179084/webrev/
>
> The functional fix in arguments.cpp is the same as in 9, just different line numbers.
>
> The test had to be adjusted for the 8u test environment and other differences between 8 and 9:
> - no @modules needed
> - @requires vm.gc.parallel not supported
> - test library location and package names are different
> - PrintFlagsFinal output is different so needed to change pattern to match
>
> The @requires was there because the test will only work on a VM which has a default GC that supports parallel GC. The only binaries we have in 8u that would fail this is a JRE/JDK that defaults to the MinimalVM. But the MinimalVM only supports Compact1 and Compact2, and the test uses APIs from Compact3 anyway - so I added the test to the needs_compact3 group in TEST.groups to deal with this limitation.
>
> Testing: manual
>         JPRT (I added the test to hotspot_gc for testing purposes)

Re: RFR 8u backport: 8179084: HotSpot VM fails to start when AggressiveHeap is set

David Holmes
Thanks Kim!

David

On 28/04/2017 4:11 PM, Kim Barrett wrote:

>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 8:13 PM, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> JDK 9 changeset: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/hotspot/rev/f1cca489e9c6
>>
>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8179084/webrev/
>>
>> The functional fix in arguments.cpp is the same as in 9, just different line numbers.
>>
>> The test had to be adjusted for the 8u test environment and other differences between 8 and 9:
>> - no @modules needed
>> - @requires vm.gc.parallel not supported
>> - test library location and package names are different
>> - PrintFlagsFinal output is different so needed to change pattern to match
>>
>> The @requires was there because the test will only work on a VM which has a default GC that supports parallel GC. The only binaries we have in 8u that would fail this is a JRE/JDK that defaults to the MinimalVM. But the MinimalVM only supports Compact1 and Compact2, and the test uses APIs from Compact3 anyway - so I added the test to the needs_compact3 group in TEST.groups to deal with this limitation.
>>
>> Testing: manual
>>         JPRT (I added the test to hotspot_gc for testing purposes)

> Looks good.

Re: RFR 8u backport: 8179084: HotSpot VM fails to start when AggressiveHeap is set

David Holmes
Still need a 8u Reviewer to okay this too, please.

On 28/04/2017 4:12 PM, David Holmes wrote:

> Thanks Kim!
>
> David
>
> On 28/04/2017 4:11 PM, Kim Barrett wrote:
>>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 8:13 PM, David Holmes <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:

>>> JDK 9 changeset:
>>> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/hotspot/rev/f1cca489e9c6
>>>
>>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8179084/webrev/
>>>
>>> The functional fix in arguments.cpp is the same as in 9, just
>>> different line numbers.
>>>
>>> The test had to be adjusted for the 8u test environment and other
>>> differences between 8 and 9:
>>> - no @modules needed
>>> - @requires vm.gc.parallel not supported
>>> - test library location and package names are different
>>> - PrintFlagsFinal output is different so needed to change pattern to
>>> match
>>>
>>> The @requires was there because the test will only work on a VM which
>>> has a default GC that supports parallel GC. The only binaries we have
>>> in 8u that would fail this is a JRE/JDK that defaults to the
>>> MinimalVM. But the MinimalVM only supports Compact1 and Compact2, and
>>> the test uses APIs from Compact3 anyway - so I added the test to the
>>> needs_compact3 group in TEST.groups to deal with this limitation.
>>>
>>> Testing: manual
>>>         JPRT (I added the test to hotspot_gc for testing purposes)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> David
>>
>> Looks good.

Re: RFR 8u backport: 8179084: HotSpot VM fails to start when AggressiveHeap is set

Stefan Karlsson
On 2017-04-28 08:17, David Holmes wrote:
> Still need a 8u Reviewer to okay this too, please.

Looks good.

StefanK

> On 28/04/2017 4:12 PM, David Holmes wrote:
>> Thanks Kim!
>>
>> David

>>> Looks good.

Re: RFR 8u backport: 8179084: HotSpot VM fails to start when AggressiveHeap is set

David Holmes
Many thanks Stefan!

David