RFR 9: JDK-8178012: Finish removal of -Xmodule:

RFR 9: JDK-8178012: Finish removal of -Xmodule:

Jan Lahoda
Hi,

javac used to have an option, -Xmodule:, that allowed to compile given
sources as if they were part of the specified module.

This functionality has been merged into the --patch-module option, but
the -Xmodule: option couldn't be fully removed at that time, as some
tests and tools (e.g. jtreg) depended on it. The option was however
removed from the javac help, etc.

Since jtreg can use --patch-module instead of -Xmodule: now, I'd like to
propose further demoting the option to an unsupported -XD-Xmodule:
setting (the functionality is not removed completely, as there is a
small amount of remaining dependencies). The option may be removed
completely eventually when the remaining dependencies are resolved.

The patch spans many repositories besides langtools, as it adjusts
TEST.ROOT files, and the
<top-level>/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/InMemoryJavaCompiler.java. The latter
is used by hotspot tests, and this change is a small tweak to translate
-Xmodule: to --patch-module. This could be later improved by enhancing
the test library API to pass the module name explicitly.

Bug:

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jlahoda/8178012/webrev.00/

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
     Jan

Re: RFR 9: JDK-8178012: Finish removal of -Xmodule:

Remi Forax
Yes, please hide -Xmodule,
currently people get confused by -Xmodule vs --patch-module, i had several questions related to that at DevoxxFR.

Rémi