Quantcast

RFR: Fix for JDK-8173119, compiler/jvmci/events/JvmciNotifyBootstrapFinishedEventTest.java fails with custom Tiered Level set externally

RFR: Fix for JDK-8173119, compiler/jvmci/events/JvmciNotifyBootstrapFinishedEventTest.java fails with custom Tiered Level set externally

Oleg Pliss

Re: RFR: Fix for JDK-8173119, compiler/jvmci/events/JvmciNotifyBootstrapFinishedEventTest.java fails with custom Tiered Level set externally

Tobias Hartmann-2
Hi Oleg,

when sending changes for review, please make sure that you add a comment briefly explaining the problem, your fix and what kind of testing you did. You can also use an email subject line in the form of "[JDK_VERSION] RFR(FIX_SIZE): BUGID: TITLE" to make it easier for reviewers to understand the get an overview. For example, "[9] RFR(S): 8173119: compiler/jvmci/events/[...]".

On 01.02.2017 07:17, Oleg Pliss wrote:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/8173119/webrev/

Your changes look good to me. Please run RBT testing (I added a comment to the bug).

Best regards,
Tobias

Re: RFR: Fix for JDK-8173119, compiler/jvmci/events/JvmciNotifyBootstrapFinishedEventTest.java fails with custom Tiered Level set externally

Vladimir Kozlov
Good.

Thanks,
Vladimir K

> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/8173119/webrev/

Re: RFR: Fix for JDK-8173119, compiler/jvmci/events/JvmciNotifyBootstrapFinishedEventTest.java fails with custom Tiered Level set externally

Christian Thalinger-4
Sorry, I’m late to the party and I see there are many comments in the bug but I don’t agree with the fix.  Printing a warning is fine but setting:

+      TieredStopAtLevel = CompLevel_full_optimization;

because EnableJVMCI is turned on is just wrong.  It should be perfectly fine to run in tiered mode with a JVMCI compiler but limit compilations to a lower level.  It's not different than running with C2.

The issue at hand happens because the test is using +BootstrapJVMCI and (understandably) the test wants the bootstrap to happen.  I think the fix needs to be in the test.