RFR: JDK-8177955 Add testing documentation

RFR: JDK-8177955 Add testing documentation

Magnus Ihse Bursie
The new run-test framework got a serious documentation effort alongside
its creation. Unfortunately, there were at the time no good place to put
that documentation.

Now that we have common/doc and a framework for handling build
documentation, it would be good to put the run-test documentation there.

I intend to push this as a documentation bug (noreg-doc) into jdk9.

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8177955-add-testing-docs/webrev.01

/Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8177955 Add testing documentation

Erik Joelsson
Looks good. A few grammar/spelling corrections:

96: "All tests"

127: "command line"

139: is this still true? I thought you added the default concurrency
behavior from the old hotspot test/Makefile.

/Erik

On 2017-04-03 13:52, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> Looks good. A few grammar/spelling corrections:
>
> 96: "All tests"
Fixed.

> 127: "command line"
Fixed.

> 139: is this still true? I thought you added the default concurrency
> behavior from the old hotspot test/Makefile.
Mr Eagle Eye! :-)

Updated to:
Defaults to TEST_JOBS (if set by `--with-test-jobs=`), otherwise it
defaults to
JOBS, except for Hotspot, where the default is *number of CPU cores/2*, but
never more than 12.

/Magnus