RFR: JDK-8178278 Move Standard Algorithm Names document to specs directory

RFR: JDK-8178278 Move Standard Algorithm Names document to specs directory

Magnus Ihse Bursie
The Security Standard Names document will be moved to a new location, so
all links needs to be updated. Also, a minor fix to the build system was
needed.

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8178278-standard-names-spec-as-markdown/webrev.01

/Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8178278 Move Standard Algorithm Names document to specs directory

Sean Mullan
General: change the text of all of the links from "Java Cryptography
Architecture Standard Algorithm Name Documentation" (the old name) to
"Java Security Standard Algorithm Names Specification".

Looks good otherwise.

Thanks,
Sean

On 5/5/17 9:17 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:

> The Security Standard Names document will be moved to a new location, so
> all links needs to be updated. Also, a minor fix to the build system was
> needed.

> WebRev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8178278-standard-names-spec-as-markdown/webrev.01
>
> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8178278 Move Standard Algorithm Names document to specs directory

Brad R. Wetmore
I applied the patch to the jdk workspace and verified that all of the
instances were updated to
{@docRoot}/../specs/security/standard-names.html, and that no links
remain to the old StandardNames.html.

Sean wrote:

 > General: change the text of all of the links from "Java Cryptography
 > Architecture Standard Algorithm Name Documentation" (the old name) to
 > "Java Security Standard Algorithm Names Specification".

+1

Can you add similar wording to that effect in DrbgParameters.java?

jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/java/security/cert/CertPathValidator.java

155-156, 193-194:  extra spaces at beginning of line.

jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/javax/crypto/Cipher.java

153:  Why did you choose to use "Cipher Algorithm Names" instead of
Cipher Algorithms?  None of the other sections use "Names".

Can you add a link in the JSSE KeyManagerFactory class description to
the standard names sections for KeyManagerFactory's?  Even though we
don't require any currently, we should probably point to the names anyway.

Thanks,

Brad

On 2017-05-06 02:22, Brad R. Wetmore wrote:

> I applied the patch to the jdk workspace and verified that all of the
> instances were updated to
> {@docRoot}/../specs/security/standard-names.html, and that no links
> remain to the old StandardNames.html.
>
> Sean wrote:
>
> > General: change the text of all of the links from "Java Cryptography
> > Architecture Standard Algorithm Name Documentation" (the old name) to
> > "Java Security Standard Algorithm Names Specification".
>
> +1

I've updated the name in all places that I could find.

> Can you add similar wording to that effect in DrbgParameters.java?

I'm sorry, that instruction is too unclear for me. :-( The main purpose
of this patch is to prepare for the markdown based specification, not
fixing the entire content. I'll leave modification of the actual
documentation to the component owners.

> jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/java/security/cert/CertPathValidator.java
>
> 155-156, 193-194:  extra spaces at beginning of line.
Fixed.

> jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/javax/crypto/Cipher.java
>
> 153:  Why did you choose to use "Cipher Algorithm Names" instead of
> Cipher Algorithms?  None of the other sections use "Names".

I did not choose that, that's what the section is called in the document
(and has been since at least JDK 8). The difference here is that the
anchor links are named after the actual headings in the document, not
arbitrarily named anchors (for better and for worse).

> Can you add a link in the JSSE KeyManagerFactory class description to
> the standard names sections for KeyManagerFactory's?  Even though we
> don't require any currently, we should probably point to the names
> anyway.

I'll give you the same reply here as for DrbgParameters.java: I don't
know enough about the domain to be able to do this job properly. Please
file a follow-up bug and fix it yourself, or assign to someone who knows.

Updated webrev: (contains whitespace fixes and rename of document, but
only the jdk repo)

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8178278-standard-names-spec-as-markdown/webrev.02

/Magnus

/Magnus

> Thanks,
>
> Brad
>

> On 5/5/2017 6:17 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> The Security Standard Names document will be moved to a new location, so
>> all links needs to be updated. Also, a minor fix to the build system was
>> needed.

>> WebRev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8178278-standard-names-spec-as-markdown/webrev.01
>>

>> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8178278 Move Standard Algorithm Names document to specs directory

Brad R. Wetmore

>> Can you add similar wording to that effect in DrbgParameters.java?
>
> I'm sorry, that instruction is too unclear for me. :-( The main purpose
> of this patch is to prepare for the markdown based specification, not
> fixing the entire content. I'll leave modification of the actual
> documentation to the component owners.

In rereading this, I withdraw this comment.  It didn't make sense.

>> jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/java/security/cert/CertPathValidator.java
>>
>> 155-156, 193-194:  extra spaces at beginning of line.
> Fixed.
>

>> jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/javax/crypto/Cipher.java
>>
>> 153:  Why did you choose to use "Cipher Algorithm Names" instead of
>> Cipher Algorithms?  None of the other sections use "Names".
>
> I did not choose that, that's what the section is called in the document
> (and has been since at least JDK 8). The difference here is that the
> anchor links are named after the actual headings in the document, not
> arbitrarily named anchors (for better and for worse).

When I got down into the .md file, I figured out your methodology.
Thanks for explaining.

>> Can you add a link in the JSSE KeyManagerFactory class description to
>> the standard names sections for KeyManagerFactory's?  Even though we
>> don't require any currently, we should probably point to the names
>> anyway.
>
> I'll give you the same reply here as for DrbgParameters.java: I don't
> know enough about the domain to be able to do this job properly. Please
> file a follow-up bug and fix it yourself, or assign to someone who knows.

I've filed:  JDK-8180005

Thanks.

> Updated webrev: (contains whitespace fixes and rename of document, but
> only the jdk repo)

Whitespace looks fine.  I did a spot check of the renames and seemed
pretty straightforward, so I didn't go through all of them.

Brad