RFR: JDK-8180281 --with-jtreg is broken for many use cases

RFR: JDK-8180281 --with-jtreg is broken for many use cases

Magnus Ihse Bursie
JDK-8179537 was opened with a request to document the brokenness of
--with-jtreg. Better to fix it than to document how it's broken.

Now --with-jtreg works like this:
  * --without-jtreg will explicitly disable jtreg.
  * --with-jtreg=<jtreg home> will use the specified directory, and will
do sanity checks that it is indeed a jtreg home pointed to, and not a
binary.
* When no option is given, we try to locate jtreg using JT_HOME from the
environment, and, failing that, by finding the jtreg executable in the
path and deriving a JT_HOME from that. If not found, jtreg will be disabled.
* --with-jtreg (with no arguments) will try to locate jtreg
automatically as described above, but if it fails, it will abort configure.

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8180281-with-jtreg-is-broken/webrev.01

/Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8180281 --with-jtreg is broken for many use cases

Magnus Ihse Bursie
It turned out that run-test behaved badly when JT_HOME was not set.
Here's an updated version with a more helpful failure mode.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8180281-with-jtreg-is-broken/webrev.02

/Magnus

On 2017-05-12 12:08, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:

> JDK-8179537 was opened with a request to document the brokenness of
> --with-jtreg. Better to fix it than to document how it's broken.
>
> Now --with-jtreg works like this:
>  * --without-jtreg will explicitly disable jtreg.
>  * --with-jtreg=<jtreg home> will use the specified directory, and
> will do sanity checks that it is indeed a jtreg home pointed to, and
> not a binary.
> * When no option is given, we try to locate jtreg using JT_HOME from
> the environment, and, failing that, by finding the jtreg executable in
> the path and deriving a JT_HOME from that. If not found, jtreg will be
> disabled.
> * --with-jtreg (with no arguments) will try to locate jtreg
> automatically as described above, but if it fails, it will abort
> configure.

> WebRev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8180281-with-jtreg-is-broken/webrev.01
>
> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8180281 --with-jtreg is broken for many use cases

Erik Joelsson
Looks good.

/Erik