Quantcast

RFR: JDK-8180426 Use standard css file for new docs bundle index.html page

RFR: JDK-8180426 Use standard css file for new docs bundle index.html page

Magnus Ihse Bursie
In JDK-8180208, a new top-level index.html for the entire docs image was
created.

This should use the common jdk-default.css file, which should move out
of the specs directory.

Here is an example how the generated page looks like:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/demo-docs-index-with-default-css/

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8180426-use-css-for-bundle-index-page/webrev.01

/Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8180426 Use standard css file for new docs bundle index.html page

Erik Joelsson
Looks ok. Note that adding the global resources copy targets to two
different top level targets may cause race conditions in rare cases
depending on OS and file system.

/Erik

On 2017-05-17 11:23, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> Looks ok. Note that adding the global resources copy targets to two
> different top level targets may cause race conditions in rare cases
> depending on OS and file system.

Do you propose that I solve it in a different way? I was thinking of
moving the copy of resources to only the "index" which feels more
"top-level" than the "specs" target, to avoid this duplication. But this
also has the unfortunate effect that docs-jdk-specs no longer creates
correctly working specs. Seems to be no good way out of this. :-(

/Magnus

> /Erik
>

> On 2017-05-17 10:16, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> In JDK-8180208, a new top-level index.html for the entire docs image
>> was created.
>>
>> This should use the common jdk-default.css file, which should move
>> out of the specs directory.
>>
>> Here is an example how the generated page looks like:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/demo-docs-index-with-default-css/

>> WebRev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8180426-use-css-for-bundle-index-page/webrev.01
>>
>> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8180426 Use standard css file for new docs bundle index.html page

Erik Joelsson
I realize the dilemma. The clean solution is to define yet another top
level target for just this file. It's also possible that this race will
never cause problems, I don't know for sure.

/Erik

On 2017-05-17 13:27, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> I realize the dilemma. The clean solution is to define yet another top
> level target for just this file. It's also possible that this race
> will never cause problems, I don't know for sure.

Here's an updated version:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8180426-use-css-for-bundle-index-page/webrev.02

According to our credo, I prefer:
* not to introduce races
* not to duplicate work
* make sure a make target delivers everything that's needed
* ... even if the above in the end results in executing more build logic

So I've removed the copying from specs and only kept it at the index,
but then in Main.gmk I made specs depend on index. This will be safe,
and if, in the future, it turns out to be to burdensome for developers
just wanting to make specs, we'll have to break out the resource copying
from the index target.

I also shortened the "index" related variables even more.

/Magnus

> /Erik
>

> On 2017-05-17 12:41, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>>

>> On 2017-05-17 11:23, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>>> Looks ok. Note that adding the global resources copy targets to two
>>> different top level targets may cause race conditions in rare cases
>>> depending on OS and file system.
>>
>> Do you propose that I solve it in a different way? I was thinking of
>> moving the copy of resources to only the "index" which feels more
>> "top-level" than the "specs" target, to avoid this duplication. But
>> this also has the unfortunate effect that docs-jdk-specs no longer
>> creates correctly working specs. Seems to be no good way out of this.
>> :-(
>>
>> /Magnus
>>

>>> /Erik

Re: RFR: JDK-8180426 Use standard css file for new docs bundle index.html page

Mandy Chung

> On May 17, 2017, at 6:44 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-05-17 13:27, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>> I realize the dilemma. The clean solution is to define yet another top level target for just this file. It's also possible that this race will never cause problems, I don't know for sure.
>
> Here's an updated version:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8180426-use-css-for-bundle-index-page/webrev.02

Looks good.

Mandy

Re: RFR: JDK-8180426 Use standard css file for new docs bundle index.html page

Erik Joelsson
Hah, that seems like a reasonable solution to me. The index page
generation shouldn't be heavy enough to be a problem here.

Looks good.

/Erik

On 2017-05-17 17:14, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> Hah, that seems like a reasonable solution to me. The index page
> generation shouldn't be heavy enough to be a problem here.

It's not the generation in itself, it's its dependencies that are heavy,
compared to plain docs-jdk-specs.

But, most use cases will build -api, -specs and -index at the same time
anyway, so it's probably not a big deal. Otherwise, we'll have to deal
with it later.

/Magnus