Quantcast

RFR: JDK-8180651: Make target to run tests on exploded image

RFR: JDK-8180651: Make target to run tests on exploded image

Erik Joelsson
In most cases, when running regression tests, you want to run them on
the jdk image because that's the correct image and some tests will not
work on other variants. However, many tests can be run successfully on
the exploded image and since building the full jdk image takes quite a
bit of extra time, especially when running a slowdebug build, enabling
this as an option can significantly improve developer efficiency.

I therefor propose the new target "exploded-run-test". It will work just
like run-test but it depends on and runs on the exploded image.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~erikj/8180651/webrev.01/

/Erik

Re: RFR: JDK-8180651: Make target to run tests on exploded image

Robbin Ehn
Thank you Erik for doing this!

/Robbin

On 05/19/2017 11:26 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:

> In most cases, when running regression tests, you want to run them on the jdk image because that's the correct image and some tests will not work on other variants.
> However, many tests can be run successfully on the exploded image and since building the full jdk image takes quite a bit of extra time, especially when running a slowdebug
> build, enabling this as an option can significantly improve developer efficiency.
>
> I therefor propose the new target "exploded-run-test". It will work just like run-test but it depends on and runs on the exploded image.

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~erikj/8180651/webrev.01/
>
> /Erik

Re: RFR: JDK-8180651: Make target to run tests on exploded image

Magnus Ihse Bursie
I like the idea, the changes in itself look good, but I really *really*
do not like the name "exploded". It was not good before as in
"exploded-image", but this is even worse. :-(

Can we pause this one for just a while and try really hard to come up
with a better name? If we fail to do that in a couple of days, I'll
admit defeat and accept the patch as it is. OK?

What about "local" image? "simple"? "quick"? "bare"?

/Magnus

On 2017-05-19 11:26, Erik Joelsson wrote:

> In most cases, when running regression tests, you want to run them on
> the jdk image because that's the correct image and some tests will not
> work on other variants. However, many tests can be run successfully on
> the exploded image and since building the full jdk image takes quite a
> bit of extra time, especially when running a slowdebug build, enabling
> this as an option can significantly improve developer efficiency.
>
> I therefor propose the new target "exploded-run-test". It will work
> just like run-test but it depends on and runs on the exploded image.

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~erikj/8180651/webrev.01/
>
> /Erik

Re: RFR: JDK-8180651: Make target to run tests on exploded image

Erik Joelsson
Sure we can pause this. Robbin has a local patch to play with for now.

If you want another name, then we should also rename exploded-image. As
I understand it, the name exploded is well established. It refers to the
java class files/resources not being in jars/jimage format, but exploded
as separate files in a directory structure.

/Erik

On 2017-05-19 11:45, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:

> I like the idea, the changes in itself look good, but I really
> *really* do not like the name "exploded". It was not good before as in
> "exploded-image", but this is even worse. :-(
>
> Can we pause this one for just a while and try really hard to come up
> with a better name? If we fail to do that in a couple of days, I'll
> admit defeat and accept the patch as it is. OK?
>
> What about "local" image? "simple"? "quick"? "bare"?
>
> /Magnus
>
> On 2017-05-19 11:26, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>> In most cases, when running regression tests, you want to run them on
>> the jdk image because that's the correct image and some tests will
>> not work on other variants. However, many tests can be run
>> successfully on the exploded image and since building the full jdk
>> image takes quite a bit of extra time, especially when running a
>> slowdebug build, enabling this as an option can significantly improve
>> developer efficiency.
>>
>> I therefor propose the new target "exploded-run-test". It will work
>> just like run-test but it depends on and runs on the exploded image.

>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~erikj/8180651/webrev.01/
>>
>> /Erik

Re: RFR: JDK-8180651: Make target to run tests on exploded image

Robbin Ehn
Hi,

On 05/19/2017 12:55 PM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> Sure we can pause this. Robbin has a local patch to play with for now.

Yes, no rush for me.

> If you want another name, then we should also rename exploded-image. As I understand it, the name exploded is well established. It refers to the java class files/resources
> not being in jars/jimage format, but exploded as separate files in a directory structure.

I would prefer to keep the name exploded for these reasons.

/Robbin

> /Erik
>

> On 2017-05-19 11:45, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> I like the idea, the changes in itself look good, but I really *really* do not like the name "exploded". It was not good before as in "exploded-image", but this is even
>> worse. :-(
>>
>> Can we pause this one for just a while and try really hard to come up with a better name? If we fail to do that in a couple of days, I'll admit defeat and accept the
>> patch as it is. OK?
>>
>> What about "local" image? "simple"? "quick"? "bare"?
>>
>> /Magnus
>>
>> On 2017-05-19 11:26, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>>> In most cases, when running regression tests, you want to run them on the jdk image because that's the correct image and some tests will not work on other variants.
>>> However, many tests can be run successfully on the exploded image and since building the full jdk image takes quite a bit of extra time, especially when running a
>>> slowdebug build, enabling this as an option can significantly improve developer efficiency.
>>>
>>> I therefor propose the new target "exploded-run-test". It will work just like run-test but it depends on and runs on the exploded image.

>>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~erikj/8180651/webrev.01/
>>>
>>> /Erik

Re: RFR: JDK-8180651: Make target to run tests on exploded image

Jonathan Gibbons
"exploded" as an adjective applies well enough to "image" but not to the
imperative "run-test".

At the risk of a long name, can you move exploded to the end, with
something like
     run-test-exploded-image

-- Jon

On 05/19/2017 08:36 AM, Robbin Ehn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 05/19/2017 12:55 PM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>> Sure we can pause this. Robbin has a local patch to play with for now.
>
> Yes, no rush for me.
>

>> If you want another name, then we should also rename exploded-image.
>> As I understand it, the name exploded is well established. It refers
>> to the java class files/resources not being in jars/jimage format,
>> but exploded as separate files in a directory structure.
>
> I would prefer to keep the name exploded for these reasons.
>
> /Robbin
>

>> /Erik
>>

>> On 2017-05-19 11:45, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>>> I like the idea, the changes in itself look good, but I really
>>> *really* do not like the name "exploded". It was not good before as
>>> in "exploded-image", but this is even worse. :-(
>>>
>>> Can we pause this one for just a while and try really hard to come
>>> up with a better name? If we fail to do that in a couple of days,
>>> I'll admit defeat and accept the patch as it is. OK?
>>>
>>> What about "local" image? "simple"? "quick"? "bare"?
>>>
>>> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8180651: Make target to run tests on exploded image

Erik Joelsson
Hello,

That works for me.

The drawback is that run-test already has a big set of automatic
suffixes for different tests to run. By using a prefix, those are more
easily separated during tab completion. On the other hand, this
suggestion makes it very clear what is being asked for, which is good.

/Erik

On 2017-05-22 09:33, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> That works for me.
>
> The drawback is that run-test already has a big set of automatic
> suffixes for different tests to run. By using a prefix, those are more
> easily separated during tab completion.

I agree, prefix is better. Go with your original patch, it's fine.

I still think the "exploded image" sounds weird (somewhat like calling
source files "uncompiled binaries"), but apparently I'm alone with that
so I'll just have to learn and live with it. ;-)

/Magnus