RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Gary Adams-3
Here's a simple fix to include additional information when the
instrument library is
missing from the jre and the command line requests -javaagent.

  Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.00/

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Alan Bateman
On 18/12/2017 14:38, Gary Adams wrote:
> Here's a simple fix to include additional information when the
> instrument library is
> missing from the jre and the command line requests -javaagent.
>
>  Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180709
>  Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.00/
The approach looks okay to me, I just wonder if the failover to the
library path can be skipped when is_instrument_lib is true.

-Alan

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Chris Plummer
Hi Gary,

Overall looks good. There's one minor change you might wanted to
consider. It's possible the library failed to load for reasons other
than java.instrument not being included. I see the error output already
includes the error message from the failed dll_open() call, so why not
just suggest that it *may* be due to java.instrument missing rather than
implying that is known to be the reason why.

thanks,

Chris

On 12/18/17 6:38 AM, Gary Adams wrote:
> Here's a simple fix to include additional information when the
> instrument library is
> missing from the jre and the command line requests -javaagent.
>
>  Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180709
>  Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.00/

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

serguei.spitsyn@oracle.com
Hi Gary,

I have the same concern and like Chris's suggestion.

The JMX case must be simpler as there is no need to load the agent
library early at startup.
So that it is possible to identify the module jdk.management.agent is
absent in the image.
I think, it happens in the java.lang.Module.Resolver.

The instrument library is loaded early at startup when the Module system
is not
up yet, so we don't know if the module java.instrument is present or not.
The instrument library can be not found because of other reasons.

Other than that the fix looks okay to me.

Thanks,
Serguei

On 12/18/17 11:39, Chris Plummer wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Overall looks good. There's one minor change you might wanted to
> consider. It's possible the library failed to load for reasons other
> than java.instrument not being included. I see the error output
> already includes the error message from the failed dll_open() call, so
> why not just suggest that it *may* be due to java.instrument missing
> rather than implying that is known to be the reason why.
>
> thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> On 12/18/17 6:38 AM, Gary Adams wrote:
>> Here's a simple fix to include additional information when the
>> instrument library is
>> missing from the jre and the command line requests -javaagent.
>>
>>  Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180709
>>  Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.00/

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Gary Adams-3
The only legitimate reason libinstrument would be missing is if
java.instrument was not included.
Any other speculation about why libinstrument was not found is hard to
explain. e.g. until
the vm is initialized we can not explicitly say whether java.instrument
module is present or not.

On 12/18/17 2:39 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Overall looks good. There's one minor change you might wanted to
> consider. It's possible the library failed to load for reasons other
> than java.instrument not being included. I see the error output
> already includes the error message from the failed dll_open() call, so
> why not just suggest that it *may* be due to java.instrument missing
> rather than implying that is known to be the reason why.
>
> thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> On 12/18/17 6:38 AM, Gary Adams wrote:
>> Here's a simple fix to include additional information when the
>> instrument library is
>> missing from the jre and the command line requests -javaagent.
>>
>>  Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180709
>>  Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.00/

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Gary Adams-3
I can just the error message.
What would you like it to say?

"Module java.instrument may be missing"

On 12/18/17 13:14, [hidden email] wrote:
> I can just the error message.
> What would you like it to say?
>
> "Module java.instrument may be missing"

Looks good to me (assuming it is for the sub_msg2).

Thanks,
Serguei

>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> I have the same concern and like Chris's suggestion.
>>
>> The JMX case must be simpler as there is no need to load the agent
>> library early at startup.
>> So that it is possible to identify the module jdk.management.agent is
>> absent in the image.
>> I think, it happens in the java.lang.Module.Resolver.
>>
>> The instrument library is loaded early at startup when the Module
>> system is not
>> up yet, so we don't know if the module java.instrument is present or
>> not.
>> The instrument library can be not found because of other reasons.
>>
>> Other than that the fix looks okay to me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Serguei
>>

>> On 12/18/17 11:39, Chris Plummer wrote:
>>> Hi Gary,
>>>
>>> Overall looks good. There's one minor change you might wanted to
>>> consider. It's possible the library failed to load for reasons other
>>> than java.instrument not being included. I see the error output
>>> already includes the error message from the failed dll_open() call,
>>> so why not just suggest that it *may* be due to java.instrument
>>> missing rather than implying that is known to be the reason why.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Chris

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Chris Plummer
Yes.

On 12/18/17 1:14 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I can just the error message.
> What would you like it to say?
>
> "Module java.instrument may be missing"

>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> I have the same concern and like Chris's suggestion.
>>
>> The JMX case must be simpler as there is no need to load the agent
>> library early at startup.
>> So that it is possible to identify the module jdk.management.agent is
>> absent in the image.
>> I think, it happens in the java.lang.Module.Resolver.
>>
>> The instrument library is loaded early at startup when the Module
>> system is not
>> up yet, so we don't know if the module java.instrument is present or
>> not.
>> The instrument library can be not found because of other reasons.
>>
>> Other than that the fix looks okay to me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Serguei
>>

>> On 12/18/17 11:39, Chris Plummer wrote:
>>> Hi Gary,
>>>
>>> Overall looks good. There's one minor change you might wanted to
>>> consider. It's possible the library failed to load for reasons other
>>> than java.instrument not being included. I see the error output
>>> already includes the error message from the failed dll_open() call,
>>> so why not just suggest that it *may* be due to java.instrument
>>> missing rather than implying that is known to be the reason why.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Chris

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Kirk Pepperdine-2

> On Dec 18, 2017, at 9:11 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> The only legitimate reason libinstrument would be missing is if java.instrument was not included.
> Any other speculation about why libinstrument was not found is hard to explain. e.g. until
> the vm is initialized we can not explicitly say whether java.instrument module is present or not.

This is the only legitimate reason that is imaginable. I’d suggest that rather than overreaching you just state what you tried to do and that it failed.

Kind regards,
Kirk Pepperdine

On 18/12/2017 21:14, [hidden email] wrote:
> I can just the error message.
> What would you like it to say?
>
> "Module java.instrument may be missing"
Technically it may be that the java.instrument module is not observable
but saying that it may not be in the run-time image is probably clearer
to the clearer. The main thing is to connect it to the java.instrument
module, other details are useful too, say where someone has a corrupt
installation or the wrong permissions on the library.

-Alan

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Gary Adams-3
A refreshed webrev is vailable
   Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.01/

On 12/19/17, 5:10 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:

> On 18/12/2017 21:14, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I can just the error message.
>> What would you like it to say?
>>
>> "Module java.instrument may be missing"
> Technically it may be that the java.instrument module is not
> observable but saying that it may not be in the run-time image is
> probably clearer to the clearer. The main thing is to connect it to
> the java.instrument module, other details are useful too, say where
> someone has a corrupt installation or the wrong permissions on the
> library.
>
> -Alan

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

serguei.spitsyn@oracle.com
Looks good.

Thanks, Serguei

On 12/19/17 06:58, Gary Adams wrote:

> A refreshed webrev is vailable
>   Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.01/
>
> On 12/19/17, 5:10 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
>> On 18/12/2017 21:14, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I can just the error message.
>>> What would you like it to say?
>>>
>>> "Module java.instrument may be missing"
>> Technically it may be that the java.instrument module is not
>> observable but saying that it may not be in the run-time image is
>> probably clearer to the clearer. The main thing is to connect it to
>> the java.instrument module, other details are useful too, say where
>> someone has a corrupt installation or the wrong permissions on the
>> library.
>>
>> -Alan

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Chris Plummer
+1

Thanks, Chris

On 12/19/17 8:57 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Looks good.
>
> Thanks, Serguei
>

> On 12/19/17 06:58, Gary Adams wrote:
>> A refreshed webrev is vailable
>>   Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.01/

>>> Technically it may be that the java.instrument module is not
>>> observable but saying that it may not be in the run-time image is
>>> probably clearer to the clearer. The main thing is to connect it to
>>> the java.instrument module, other details are useful too, say where
>>> someone has a corrupt installation or the wrong permissions on the
>>> library.
>>>
>>> -Alan

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Gary Adams-3
Now comes the catch ...
     I'll need a sponsor.

On 12/19/17 5:12 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks, Chris

>> Looks good.
>>
>> Thanks, Serguei
>>

>> On 12/19/17 06:58, Gary Adams wrote:
>>> A refreshed webrev is vailable
>>>   Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8180709/webrev.01/

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Chris Plummer
I can push it this evening if no one else grabs it first (need to step
out for a bit and won't be able to monitor CI results). Please produce a
changeset first.

thanks,

Chris

On 12/19/17 2:47 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Now comes the catch ...
>     I'll need a sponsor.
>
> On 12/19/17 5:12 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> Thanks, Chris

>>> Looks good.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Serguei

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

serguei.spitsyn@oracle.com
Gary,

What tests did you run?
Event though the fix looks save it is still a good idea to submit a
mach5 job that includes the :jdk_instrument test suite. Most likely, it
is in the hs-tier5 (or more specifically, hs-tier5-rt)

Thanks,
Serguei

On 12/19/17 14:50, Chris Plummer wrote:

> I can push it this evening if no one else grabs it first (need to step
> out for a bit and won't be able to monitor CI results). Please produce
> a changeset first.
>
> thanks,
>
> Chris

>> Now comes the catch ...
>>     I'll need a sponsor.
>>
>> On 12/19/17 5:12 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Thanks, Chris

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

serguei.spitsyn@oracle.com
Chris pointed out, there is no point to run the tier5.
It is enough to run the <open>:jdk_instrument.

Thanks,
Serguei

On 12/19/17 17:26, [hidden email] wrote:

> Gary,
>
> What tests did you run?
> Event though the fix looks save it is still a good idea to submit a
> mach5 job that includes the :jdk_instrument test suite. Most likely,
> it is in the hs-tier5 (or more specifically, hs-tier5-rt)
>
> Thanks,
> Serguei
>

> On 12/19/17 14:50, Chris Plummer wrote:
>> I can push it this evening if no one else grabs it first (need to
>> step out for a bit and won't be able to monitor CI results). Please
>> produce a changeset first.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Chris

>>> Now comes the catch ...
>>>     I'll need a sponsor.

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Gary Adams-3
Is the patch file in the webrev sufficient?

http://bussund0416.us.oracle.com/export/users/gradams/work/webrevs/8180709/webrev.01/jdk-hs.patch

For testing I had been running the closed tonga all.testlist and the
open jdk-tier1 tests.

But to demonstrate the error message, I would locally build "make profiles"
and then compare jre-compact2 and jre-compact3 results. The compact2
profile does not include java.instrument, but compact3 does.

On 12/19/17, 5:50 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:

> I can push it this evening if no one else grabs it first (need to step
> out for a bit and won't be able to monitor CI results). Please produce
> a changeset first.
>
> thanks,
>
> Chris

>> Now comes the catch ...
>>     I'll need a sponsor.

Re: RFR: JDK-8180709: java -javaagent:agent.jar with run-time that does not contain java.instrument prints confusing error

Chris Plummer
It's best if you actually do the commit and then produce the patch with
"hg export". Then the commit comment and user are setup already and all
I need to do is "hg import <patch>; hg push".

thanks,

Chris

On 12/20/17 05:28, Gary Adams wrote:
Is the patch file in the webrev sufficient?

   http://bussund0416.us.oracle.com/export/users/gradams/work/webrevs/8180709/webrev.01/jdk-hs.patch

For testing I had been running the closed tonga all.testlist and the open jdk-tier1 tests.

Not sure, what coverage for j.l.instrument API is in the tonga tests.
It seems, the only vm.defmeth has it.
The :jdk_instrument (open/test/jdk/java/lang/instrument) test suite is what is normally needed.
In this particular case any coverage might be enough though. :)

Thanks,
Serguei

But to demonstrate the error message, I would locally build "make profiles"
and then compare jre-compact2 and jre-compact3 results. The compact2
profile does not include java.instrument, but compact3 does.

Good idea.
I don't know how to run the mach5 for compact profiles.
Most likely, your plan is to build and run tests locally.

Thanks,
Serguei