RFR: JDK-8190418 Stop generating jvmtiEnvStub and jvmtiEnvRecommended

RFR: JDK-8190418 Stop generating jvmtiEnvStub and jvmtiEnvRecommended

Magnus Ihse Bursie
During hotspot gensrc, we create two files, jvmtiEnvStub and
jvmtiEnvRecommended, which later on are explicitly excluded from the
build. We should just stop generating them.

I have built hotspot with and without this patch, and used the build
comparison script (compare.sh) to verify that it has not changed.

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8190418-stop-generating-unneeded-jvmti-files/webrev.01

/Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8190418 Stop generating jvmtiEnvStub and jvmtiEnvRecommended

Erik Joelsson
Fantastic build logic. Looks good.

/Erik

On 2017-11-14 05:06, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:

> During hotspot gensrc, we create two files, jvmtiEnvStub and
> jvmtiEnvRecommended, which later on are explicitly excluded from the
> build. We should just stop generating them.
>
> I have built hotspot with and without this patch, and used the build
> comparison script (compare.sh) to verify that it has not changed.

> WebRev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8190418-stop-generating-unneeded-jvmti-files/webrev.01
>
> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8190418 Stop generating jvmtiEnvStub and jvmtiEnvRecommended

Tim Bell
Looks good to me as well.  That is much cleaner.

Tim

On 11/14/17 10:22, Erik Joelsson wrote:

> Fantastic build logic. Looks good.
>
> /Erik
>

> On 2017-11-14 05:06, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> During hotspot gensrc, we create two files, jvmtiEnvStub and
>> jvmtiEnvRecommended, which later on are explicitly excluded from the
>> build. We should just stop generating them.
>>
>> I have built hotspot with and without this patch, and used the build
>> comparison script (compare.sh) to verify that it has not changed.

>> WebRev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8190418-stop-generating-unneeded-jvmti-files/webrev.01
>>

>> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8190418 Stop generating jvmtiEnvStub and jvmtiEnvRecommended

Hi Magnus,

On 14/11/2017 11:06 PM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> During hotspot gensrc, we create two files, jvmtiEnvStub and
> jvmtiEnvRecommended, which later on are explicitly excluded from the
> build. We should just stop generating them.

cc'd Dan: Need someone who knows to chime in with what these files are
and why they exist. The stub is like a dummy implementation that may
have been useful for testing against. No idea what the "recommended"
file may represent. ??

> I have built hotspot with and without this patch, and used the build
> comparison script (compare.sh) to verify that it has not changed.

> WebRev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8190418-stop-generating-unneeded-jvmti-files/webrev.01

Change itself seems fine. Not sure if jvmtiEnv.xsl is now a dead file
that can be removed (if so we'll file a hotspot bug for that).

> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8190418 Stop generating jvmtiEnvStub and jvmtiEnvRecommended

Daniel D. Daugherty
Adding Robert Field...  Those files were created before I started doing
any work on JVM/TI...

Dan

On 2017-11-14 22:55, David Holmes wrote:

> Hi Magnus,
>
> On 14/11/2017 11:06 PM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> During hotspot gensrc, we create two files, jvmtiEnvStub and
>> jvmtiEnvRecommended, which later on are explicitly excluded from the
>> build. We should just stop generating them.
>
> cc'd Dan: Need someone who knows to chime in with what these files are
> and why they exist. The stub is like a dummy implementation that may
> have been useful for testing against. No idea what the "recommended"
> file may represent. ??
>
>> I have built hotspot with and without this patch, and used the build
>> comparison script (compare.sh) to verify that it has not changed.

>> WebRev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8190418-stop-generating-unneeded-jvmti-files/webrev.01
>

> Change itself seems fine. Not sure if jvmtiEnv.xsl is now a dead file
> that can be removed (if so we'll file a hotspot bug for that).

It seems likely that it is. There's no reference to it. I leave it to
you do delete it then.

/Magnus