RFR: JDK-8193061 Add run-test-prebuilt functionality

RFR: JDK-8193061 Add run-test-prebuilt functionality

Magnus Ihse Bursie
This addition makes it possible to run tests using the normal
RunTests.gmk framework, even if configure has not been run. The typical
use case is for automated testing, where a test machine can download a
prebuilt JDK image and test image, and the source tree, and then start
executing tests as specified by RunTests.gmk in the source tree, but
excersicing the prebuilt JDK and test image.

This mode of operation has historically been provided by test/Makefile,
but that system is messy, not maintained and parallel to the run-test
implementation.

With this patch, a new "global" target "run-test-prebuilt" is provided.
To use it, you must also specify a number of variables, either on the
command line or in the environment. These are the variables that
run-test-prebuilt cannot guess. With these values as base,
run-test-prebuilt creates a "fake" spec file, with some generic values
that are likely to work in many cases, and/or values that can be
detected in runtime.

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8193061-add-run-test-prebuilt/webrev.01

/Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8193061 Add run-test-prebuilt functionality

Erik Joelsson
Looks pretty good, only some minor notes:

* RunTestsPrebuilt.gmk:72: indentation

* 95: You could use the sequence macro to generate a large set of
increasing numbers here.

* 182: "... all others use uname -m"

/Erik

On 2017-12-05 21:05, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> Looks pretty good, only some minor notes:
>
> * RunTestsPrebuilt.gmk:72: indentation
Fixed.

> * 95: You could use the sequence macro to generate a large set of
> increasing numbers here.
Unfortunately, it's not available since I can't read MakeBase.gmk yet
(it requires a SPEC file). :-( I could have copied it, but that didn't
seem worth the effort compared to just listing the integers.
*sound of coin landing in machine*
Oh, but wait, that's not correct anymore. I *do* have MakeBase.gmk
included here. That also means I should replace "rm -f" with "$(RM)". :-)

> * 182: "... all others use uname -m"
Fixed.

New webrev with above fixes:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8193061-add-run-test-prebuilt/webrev.02

/Magnus

> /Erik
>

> On 2017-12-05 05:02, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> This addition makes it possible to run tests using the normal
>> RunTests.gmk framework, even if configure has not been run. The
>> typical use case is for automated testing, where a test machine can
>> download a prebuilt JDK image and test image, and the source tree,
>> and then start executing tests as specified by RunTests.gmk in the
>> source tree, but excersicing the prebuilt JDK and test image.
>>
>> This mode of operation has historically been provided by
>> test/Makefile, but that system is messy, not maintained and parallel
>> to the run-test implementation.
>>
>> With this patch, a new "global" target "run-test-prebuilt" is
>> provided. To use it, you must also specify a number of variables,
>> either on the command line or in the environment. These are the
>> variables that run-test-prebuilt cannot guess. With these values as
>> base, run-test-prebuilt creates a "fake" spec file, with some generic
>> values that are likely to work in many cases, and/or values that can
>> be detected in runtime.

>> WebRev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8193061-add-run-test-prebuilt/webrev.01
>>
>> /Magnus

Re: RFR: JDK-8193061 Add run-test-prebuilt functionality

Erik Joelsson
Looks good.

On 2017-12-05 12:14, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:

> On 2017-12-05 21:05, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>> Looks pretty good, only some minor notes:
>>
>> * RunTestsPrebuilt.gmk:72: indentation
> Fixed.
>>
>> * 95: You could use the sequence macro to generate a large set of
>> increasing numbers here.
> Unfortunately, it's not available since I can't read MakeBase.gmk yet
> (it requires a SPEC file). :-( I could have copied it, but that didn't
> seem worth the effort compared to just listing the integers.
> *sound of coin landing in machine*
> Oh, but wait, that's not correct anymore. I *do* have MakeBase.gmk
> included here. That also means I should replace "rm -f" with "$(RM)". :-)

Yes, I did check for it, and you are already using AppendFile. :)

/Erik