RFR: JDK-8193124 - SA: Testcases for clhsdb jdis and findpc commands

RFR: JDK-8193124 - SA: Testcases for clhsdb jdis and findpc commands

Sharath Ballal

Hello,

Pls review changes for the following issue:

Bug ID:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193124

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sballal/8193124/webrev.00/

The tests have passed in JPRT and Mach5.

Thanks,

Sharath

Re: RFR: JDK-8193124 - SA: Testcases for clhsdb jdis and findpc commands

Jini George
Hi Sharath,

For ClhsdbFindPC.java, the test case would fail if it gets invoked with
-Xcomp. So, it might be better to invoke LingeredApp only with -Xint or
only with -Xcomp (and if so, check for the "In code in NMethod" string).

Other than this, the rest of it looks good to me.

Thanks!
Jini.

On 12/6/2017 9:40 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Pls review changes for the following issue:
>
> Bug ID: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193124
>
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sballal/8193124/webrev.00/
>
> The tests have passed in JPRT and Mach5.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sharath

RE: RFR: JDK-8193124 - SA: Testcases for clhsdb jdis and findpc commands

Sharath Ballal
Thanks Jini.  I have changed the testcase to run with both -Xint and -Xcomp.
Updated webrev is http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sballal/8193124/webrev.01/

Thanks,
Sharath

For ClhsdbFindPC.java, the test case would fail if it gets invoked with -Xcomp. So, it might be better to invoke LingeredApp only with -Xint or only with -Xcomp (and if so, check for the "In code in NMethod" string).

Other than this, the rest of it looks good to me.

Thanks!
Jini.

On 12/6/2017 9:40 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Pls review changes for the following issue:
>
> Bug ID: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193124
>
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sballal/8193124/webrev.00/
>
> The tests have passed in JPRT and Mach5.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sharath

RE: RFR: JDK-8193124 - SA: Testcases for clhsdb jdis and findpc commands

Sharath Ballal
Can I get one more review pls ?

Thanks,
Sharath

For ClhsdbFindPC.java, the test case would fail if it gets invoked with -Xcomp. So, it might be better to invoke LingeredApp only with -Xint or only with -Xcomp (and if so, check for the "In code in NMethod" string).

Other than this, the rest of it looks good to me.

Thanks!
Jini.

On 12/6/2017 9:40 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Pls review changes for the following issue:
>
> Bug ID: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193124
>
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sballal/8193124/webrev.00/
>
> The tests have passed in JPRT and Mach5.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sharath

Re: RFR: JDK-8193124 - SA: Testcases for clhsdb jdis and findpc commands

Chris Plummer
Hi Sharath,

Overall looks good. I actually ran ClhsdbFindPC so I could look at the
output and better understand how it works. One thing I noticed is that
ClhsdbLauncher echoes the hsdb prompt and the output of the command, but
not the command itself. I tinkered with it a bit to see if this could be
fixed, but couldn't figure out how to inject the command into the output
stream at the right point. I think maybe you need to dump the process
output before each command is executed (this will print any previous
command's output, and then the prompt), followed by printing the command
itself. If this is possible, maybe consider this for an RFE.

FYI, you still need a "R"eviewer.

thanks,

Chris

On 12/7/17 9:04 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:

> Can I get one more review pls ?
>
> Thanks,
> Sharath

Thanks Chris for the inputs.

I think this can be done.  There is an echo command which works as shown below.
The command will be shown as '+ <command>'
I guess this should be good enough right ?

hsdb> echo
echo is false
hsdb> echo true
hsdb> universe
+ universe
Heap Parameters:
garbage-first heap [0x0000000083200000, 0x0000000100000000] region size 1024K
hsdb> echo
+ echo
echo is true
hsdb>

Thanks,
Sharath

Overall looks good. I actually ran ClhsdbFindPC so I could look at the output and better understand how it works. One thing I noticed is that ClhsdbLauncher echoes the hsdb prompt and the output of the command, but not the command itself. I tinkered with it a bit to see if this could be fixed, but couldn't figure out how to inject the command into the output stream at the right point. I think maybe you need to dump the process output before each command is executed (this will print any previous command's output, and then the prompt), followed by printing the command itself. If this is possible, maybe consider this for an RFE.

FYI, you still need a "R"eviewer.

thanks,

Chris

On 12/7/17 9:04 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:

> Can I get one more review pls ?
>
> Thanks,
> Sharath

Sundararajan Athijegannathan
Looks good

-Sundar

On 08/12/17, 11:13 AM, Chris Plummer wrote:

> Hi Sharath,
>
> Overall looks good. I actually ran ClhsdbFindPC so I could look at the
> output and better understand how it works. One thing I noticed is that
> ClhsdbLauncher echoes the hsdb prompt and the output of the command,
> but not the command itself. I tinkered with it a bit to see if this
> could be fixed, but couldn't figure out how to inject the command into
> the output stream at the right point. I think maybe you need to dump
> the process output before each command is executed (this will print
> any previous command's output, and then the prompt), followed by
> printing the command itself. If this is possible, maybe consider this
> for an RFE.
>
> FYI, you still need a "R"eviewer.
>
> thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> On 12/7/17 9:04 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:
>> Can I get one more review pls ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sharath

That works for me.

thanks,

Chris

On 12/7/17 9:48 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:

> Thanks Chris for the inputs.
>
> I think this can be done.  There is an echo command which works as shown below.
> The command will be shown as '+ <command>'
> I guess this should be good enough right ?
>
> hsdb> echo
> echo is false
> hsdb> echo true
> hsdb> universe
> + universe
> Heap Parameters:
> garbage-first heap [0x0000000083200000, 0x0000000100000000] region size 1024K
> hsdb> echo
> + echo
> echo is true
> hsdb>
>
> Thanks,
> Sharath

Thanks for the review Sundar.

Thanks,
Sharath

On 08/12/17, 11:13 AM, Chris Plummer wrote:

> Hi Sharath,
>
> Overall looks good. I actually ran ClhsdbFindPC so I could look at the
> output and better understand how it works. One thing I noticed is that
> ClhsdbLauncher echoes the hsdb prompt and the output of the command,
> but not the command itself. I tinkered with it a bit to see if this
> could be fixed, but couldn't figure out how to inject the command into
> the output stream at the right point. I think maybe you need to dump
> the process output before each command is executed (this will print
> any previous command's output, and then the prompt), followed by
> printing the command itself. If this is possible, maybe consider this
> for an RFE.
>
> FYI, you still need a "R"eviewer.
>
> thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> On 12/7/17 9:04 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:
>> Can I get one more review pls ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sharath

I opened https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8193237 for the same.

Thanks,
Sharath

On 12/7/17 9:48 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:

> Thanks Chris for the inputs.
>
> I think this can be done.  There is an echo command which works as shown below.
> The command will be shown as '+ <command>'
> I guess this should be good enough right ?
>
> hsdb> echo
> echo is false
> hsdb> echo true
> hsdb> universe
> + universe
> Heap Parameters:
> garbage-first heap [0x0000000083200000, 0x0000000100000000] region
> size 1024K
> hsdb> echo
> + echo
> echo is true
> hsdb>
>
> Thanks,
> Sharath

Jini

On 12/7/2017 2:25 PM, Sharath Ballal wrote:

> Thanks Jini.  I have changed the testcase to run with both -Xint and -Xcomp.
> Updated webrev is http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sballal/8193124/webrev.01/
>

> Thanks,
> Sharath

Thanks for the review Jini.