RFR : PPC64 : Need support for VSR spills in ppc.ad

RFR : PPC64 : Need support for VSR spills in ppc.ad

Michihiro Horie

Hi Martin,

Would you review the following change that fixes the SLP for PPC?

In this change, I added support for VSR spills. Also, I fixed how to
specify registers in postalloc_expand for the float constant replication. I
confirmed this change works with JTREG.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mhorie/8194861/webrev.00/
(I created a webrev under jdk/hs.)

Michihiro,
IBM Research - Tokyo

RE: RFR : PPC64 : Need support for VSR spills in ppc.ad

Doerr, Martin
Hi Michihiro,

thanks for implementing it.

I wonder how the content of R19 should get preserved.
Shouldn't repl4F_immF_Ex use a temp register instead of R19?

SuperwordUseVSX is still not activated in vm_version_ppc.cpp. I think we should turn it on with this change (see the TODO).

We will run tests when the R19 question is clarified.

Best regards,

Michihiro,
IBM Research - Tokyo

RE: RFR : PPC64 : Need support for VSR spills in ppc.ad

Doerr, Martin
Hi Michihiro,

> R19 is commented out in bits64_constant_table_base so as not to be used:
Not to be used by MachConstantBaseNode. I don’t see how this should help.

I still suggest to add “iRegLdst tmp” with “effect(TEMP tmp)” to repl4F_immF_Ex.

Best regards,
Martin

RE: RFR : PPC64 : Need support for VSR spills in ppc.ad

Lindenmaier, Goetz
Hi Michihiro,

I had a look at your change. Thanks for fixing this.

In the MachSpillNode::implementation() implementation,
why is there no case Reg->Reg? For other register sets,
this is the MachSpillNode used the most.

In case this is pushed to jdk10, I would appreciate to
leave the flag off.  (I.e., push without the change to
vm_version_ppc.cpp.)
Usage of this is probably quite rare, so that uncommon
effects e.g. when spilling to the stack are unlikely
to be catched by the remaining testing before delivery.

Please adapt the comment above enum RC {...}

Besides this, the change looks good!

Best regards,
  Goetz.

Gustavo Romero
Hi Martin,

I think Michi measured the effectivity of this change using SPECjbb2015 and got
about 4% of performance improvement in max-jOPS.

Many of our clients still use OpenJDK 8 and I understand that although currently
there isn't a new schedule ahead of 8u162 [1], 8 will continue to receive
updates once 8u162 is GA. So I would to backport it to jdk8u/jdk8u so distros
can grab it on the next security update (roughly). Are you ok with that?

If you are ok, since this change depends upon other changes that introduced the
support for VSX, is it fine if I start backporting them firstly instead
of this one? What do you recommend?

Thank you.

Regards,
Gustavo

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8u/

On 01/24/2018 10:39 AM, Gustavo Romero wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I think Michi measured the effectivity of this change using SPECjbb2015 and got
> about 4% of performance improvement in max-jOPS.

Actually for SLP in a whole, but it holds the same.

> Many of our clients still use OpenJDK 8 and I understand that although currently
> there isn't a new schedule ahead of 8u162 [1], 8 will continue to receive
> updates once 8u162 is GA. So I would to backport it to jdk8u/jdk8u so distros
> can grab it on the next security update (roughly). Are you ok with that?
>
> If you are ok, since this change depends upon other changes that introduced the
> support for VSX, is it fine if I start backporting them firstly instead
> of this one? What do you recommend?
>
> Thank you.
>

> Regards,
> Gustavo
>
> [1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8u/

RE: RFR : PPC64 : Need support for VSR spills in ppc.ad

Doerr, Martin
Hi Gustavo,

I think the change should be tested a little longer before requesting a backport.
But in general, I'm not against it if you do all the work. Please note that I can't push to 8u (I'm not a 8u committer or reviewer).

On 01/24/2018 11:07 AM, Doerr, Martin wrote:
> Hi Gustavo,
>
> I think the change should be tested a little longer before requesting a backport.

I see. Do you suggest testing it in any particular way or should we wait
OpenJDK 11 LTS goes GA so it begins to be tested more widely once it reaches
out the distros (Ubuntu, SLES, and RHEL)?

> But in general, I'm not against it if you do all the work. Please note that I can't push to 8u (I'm not a 8u committer or reviewer).

Got it. Sure, I would do all the work in that case :-)

I think you can still be a (r)eviewer even not being an 8u (R)eviewer in case a
backport does not apply cleanly to 8u and needs a new review on the hotspot ML?

Best regards,
Gustavo

> Best regards,
> Martin

We have nightly tests for jdk/hs so it gets tested automatically to some extent. More tests will run when we integrate it into SAP JVM.
So I think you don't necessarily have to wait until GA.

Backport changes should be tested better than running a few tests for a couple of days. Maybe you have nightly tests for 8u where you can test the backport for some time? I think this would be ideal. Otherwise, I'm a little concerned about possibly required shared fixes which were not backported to 8u.

> I think you can still be a (r)eviewer even not being an 8u (R)eviewer in case a
> backport does not apply cleanly to 8u and needs a new review on the hotspot ML?
I can answer questions or write an additional review.

Best regards,
Martin

On 01/24/2018 11:48 AM, Doerr, Martin wrote:
> Hi Gustavo,
>
>> Do you suggest testing it in any particular way or should we wait
>> OpenJDK 11 LTS goes GA so it begins to be tested more widely once it reaches
>> out the distros (Ubuntu, SLES, and RHEL)?
> We have nightly tests for jdk/hs so it gets tested automatically to some extent. More tests will run when we integrate it into SAP JVM.
> So I think you don't necessarily have to wait until GA.

I see. Thanks for sharing this information.

> Backport changes should be tested better than running a few tests for a couple of days. Maybe you have nightly tests for 8u where you can test the backport for some time? I think this would be ideal. Otherwise, I'm a little concerned about possibly required shared fixes which were not backported to 8u.

Unfortunately I dont't have a setup ready. I'll have to check if somebody
working on AdoptOpenJDK.net / PowerPC initiative can help on that. Otherwise I
need to setup something manually, but it would cover just POWER8 LE. I've
already talked to Volker about it in the past but I never got the proper
infrastructure resources to make it happen. Btw, I think SAP is not testing 8u
for ppc64le [1], correct?  But is jdk/hs tested on ppc64le or SAP does
not perform nightly tests on LE at all?

>> I think you can still be a (r)eviewer even not being an 8u (R)eviewer in case a
>> backport does not apply cleanly to 8u and needs a new review on the hotspot ML?
> I can answer questions or write an additional review.

Thanks a lot. That would be very helpful.

Best regards,
Gustavo

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/ppc-aix-port-dev/2017-October/003216.html

RE: RFR : PPC64 : Need support for VSR spills in ppc.ad

Doerr, Martin
Hi Gustavo,

we currently run a few nightly tests for jdk9, jdk10, jdk/jdk and jdk/hs on PPC64le.
(And a lot more for SAP JVM.)
The change is currently in jdk/hs where we have quite a few tests. It will probably get merged to jdk/jdk soon.

For jdk8u, you will have to perform all testing on your own.

On 01/24/2018 12:28 PM, Doerr, Martin wrote:
> Hi Gustavo,
>
> we currently run a few nightly tests for jdk9, jdk10, jdk/jdk and jdk/hs on PPC64le.
> (And a lot more for SAP JVM.)
> The change is currently in jdk/hs where we have quite a few tests. It will probably get merged to jdk/jdk soon.
>
> For jdk8u, you will have to perform all testing on your own.

Got it. Thanks!

Best regards,
Gustavo