RFR(XS): 8065838: compiler/relocations/TestPrintRelocations.java times out after 1920 seconds

RFR(XS): 8065838: compiler/relocations/TestPrintRelocations.java times out after 1920 seconds

Nils Eliasson
Hi,

Please review this quick fix of test that unnecessarily consumes far to
much resources.

This test combines the use of -XX:+PrintRelocation and -Xcomp which
causes more than 600.000 lines of output even with an empty main method.

My quick fix is to exclude most methods for compilation. Adding
"-XX:CompileCommand=compileonly,java.lang.String*::*" reduces the output
to ~15.000 lines, and compilations from 3440 to 170, while we still can
be certain that at selection of methods are compiled at all compilation
levels. The execution time is reduced from 18 to 1 second on my workstation.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~neliasso/8065838/webrev.01/

Regards,

Nils Eliasson

Re: RFR(XS): 8065838: compiler/relocations/TestPrintRelocations.java times out after 1920 seconds

Tobias Hartmann-2
Hi Nils,

this looks good to me!

Best regards,
Tobias

On 10.11.2017 14:31, Nils Eliasson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please review this quick fix of test that unnecessarily consumes far to much resources.
>
> This test combines the use of -XX:+PrintRelocation and -Xcomp which causes more than 600.000 lines of output even with
> an empty main method.
>
> My quick fix is to exclude most methods for compilation. Adding "-XX:CompileCommand=compileonly,java.lang.String*::*"
> reduces the output to ~15.000 lines, and compilations from 3440 to 170, while we still can be certain that at selection
> of methods are compiled at all compilation levels. The execution time is reduced from 18 to 1 second on my workstation.

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~neliasso/8065838/webrev.01/
>
> Regards,
>
> Nils Eliasson

Re: RFR(XS): 8065838: compiler/relocations/TestPrintRelocations.java times out after 1920 seconds

Nils Eliasson
Thank you Tobias!

// Nils

On 2017-11-10 14:38, Tobias Hartmann wrote:

> Hi Nils,
>
> this looks good to me!
>
> Best regards,
> Tobias
>
> On 10.11.2017 14:31, Nils Eliasson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please review this quick fix of test that unnecessarily consumes far to much resources.
>>
>> This test combines the use of -XX:+PrintRelocation and -Xcomp which causes more than 600.000 lines of output even with
>> an empty main method.
>>
>> My quick fix is to exclude most methods for compilation. Adding "-XX:CompileCommand=compileonly,java.lang.String*::*"
>> reduces the output to ~15.000 lines, and compilations from 3440 to 170, while we still can be certain that at selection
>> of methods are compiled at all compilation levels. The execution time is reduced from 18 to 1 second on my workstation.

>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~neliasso/8065838/webrev.01/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nils Eliasson

Re: RFR(XS): 8065838: compiler/relocations/TestPrintRelocations.java times out after 1920 seconds

dean.long
As a followup RFE, what if we had something like
-XX:CompileCommand=eagercompile,java.lang.String*::* that could be used
instead of -Xcomp? It would be like -Xcomp for methods matching the
filter.  But unlike -Xcomp+compileonly, it would allow other hot methods
to be compiled as needed, instead of forcing them to be interpreted.

dl

On 11/10/17 5:31 AM, Nils Eliasson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please review this quick fix of test that unnecessarily consumes far
> to much resources.
>
> This test combines the use of -XX:+PrintRelocation and -Xcomp which
> causes more than 600.000 lines of output even with an empty main method.
>
> My quick fix is to exclude most methods for compilation. Adding
> "-XX:CompileCommand=compileonly,java.lang.String*::*" reduces the
> output to ~15.000 lines, and compilations from 3440 to 170, while we
> still can be certain that at selection of methods are compiled at all
> compilation levels. The execution time is reduced from 18 to 1 second
> on my workstation.

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~neliasso/8065838/webrev.01/
>
> Regards,
>
> Nils Eliasson

Re: RFR(XS): 8065838: compiler/relocations/TestPrintRelocations.java times out after 1920 seconds

Vladimir Kozlov
+1

Thanks,
Vladimir