RFR(XS) : 8178727: CTW should provide class names in error messages

RFR(XS) : 8178727: CTW should provide class names in error messages

Igor Ignatyev
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev//8178727/webrev.00/index.html
> 14 lines changed: 5 ins; 1 del; 8 mod;

Hi all,

could you please review this small enchantment for CTW test runner?
Currently, error messages contain only index of class which caused an error, which is not informative enough. this fix adds a class name to an error message.
Without the fix, errors look like:
> java.lang.Error: modules_0: failed during compilation of class #4795
> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.startCtwforAllClasses(CtwRunner.java:133)
> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.run(CtwRunner.java:78)
> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.main(CtwRunner.java:56)
With the fix:
> java.lang.Error: modules_0: failed during compilation of class #4795:sun/reflect/misc/ReflectUtil
> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.startCtwforAllClasses(CtwRunner.java:134)
> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.run(CtwRunner.java:79)
> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.main(CtwRunner.java:57)

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev//8178727/webrev.00/index.html
testing: hotspot/test/applications/ctw/Modules.java

Thanks,
-- Igor

Re: RFR(XS) : 8178727: CTW should provide class names in error messages

Vladimir Kozlov
Put spaces around :

#4795 : sun/r

Is modules_0 is module name or also index? In such case may be print module name too.

Otherwise good.

Thanks,
Vladimir

On 4/13/17 8:58 PM, Igor Ignatyev wrote:

> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev//8178727/webrev.00/index.html
>> 14 lines changed: 5 ins; 1 del; 8 mod;
>
> Hi all,
>
> could you please review this small enchantment for CTW test runner?
> Currently, error messages contain only index of class which caused an error, which is not informative enough. this fix adds a class name to an error message.
> Without the fix, errors look like:
>> java.lang.Error: modules_0: failed during compilation of class #4795
>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.startCtwforAllClasses(CtwRunner.java:133)
>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.run(CtwRunner.java:78)
>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.main(CtwRunner.java:56)
> With the fix:
>> java.lang.Error: modules_0: failed during compilation of class #4795:sun/reflect/misc/ReflectUtil
>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.startCtwforAllClasses(CtwRunner.java:134)
>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.run(CtwRunner.java:79)
>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.main(CtwRunner.java:57)
>

> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev//8178727/webrev.00/index.html
> testing: hotspot/test/applications/ctw/Modules.java
>
> Thanks,
> -- Igor

Re: RFR(XS) : 8178727: CTW should provide class names in error messages

Igor Ignatyev
Vladimir,

thank you for your review. please see my answers inline.

-- Igor

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 9:56 AM, Vladimir Kozlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Put spaces around :
>
> #4795 : sun/r
added

> Is modules_0 is module name or also index? In such case may be print module name too.
it's not a module name, it's name of a file we run CTW on, which is modules in this case, and class start index. the same string is used for dumped output/error streams, hs_err, hs_log and cireplay files. so when you see  "java.lang.Error: modules_0:" , you know that you need to look at modules_0* files in test result directory.

> Otherwise good.
>
> Thanks,
> Vladimir
>
> On 4/13/17 8:58 PM, Igor Ignatyev wrote:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev//8178727/webrev.00/index.html
>>> 14 lines changed: 5 ins; 1 del; 8 mod;
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> could you please review this small enchantment for CTW test runner?
>> Currently, error messages contain only index of class which caused an error, which is not informative enough. this fix adds a class name to an error message.
>> Without the fix, errors look like:
>>> java.lang.Error: modules_0: failed during compilation of class #4795
>>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.startCtwforAllClasses(CtwRunner.java:133)
>>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.run(CtwRunner.java:78)
>>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.main(CtwRunner.java:56)
>> With the fix:
>>> java.lang.Error: modules_0: failed during compilation of class #4795:sun/reflect/misc/ReflectUtil
>>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.startCtwforAllClasses(CtwRunner.java:134)
>>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.run(CtwRunner.java:79)
>>> at sun.hotspot.tools.ctw.CtwRunner.main(CtwRunner.java:57)
>>

>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev//8178727/webrev.00/index.html
>> JBS: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8178727
>> testing: hotspot/test/applications/ctw/Modules.java
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -- Igor

Re: RFR(XS) : 8178727: CTW should provide class names in error messages

Vladimir Kozlov
Good.

thanks,
Vladimir