RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

Daniel D. Daugherty
Greetings,

I have a very small fix for a bug in VMError::print_native_stack() along
with a new test. I ran into the bug while working on some stack walking
code. For some reason, the bug only reproduces on OSX and Solaris X64.

8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an
os::is_first_C_frame() check

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8194652-webrev/jdk11-0/

The new test has been verified to fail on OSX and Solaris X64 without the
fix in place and, with the fix in place, it passes on all Mach5 platforms.
I've tested the fix with a Mach5 hs-tier[1-3] run and there are no unknown
failures.

Thanks, in advance, for any comments, questions, or suggestions.

Dan

Re: RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

frederic parain
Looks good to me.

Fred

> On Jan 5, 2018, at 11:11, Daniel D. Daugherty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I have a very small fix for a bug in VMError::print_native_stack() along
> with a new test. I ran into the bug while working on some stack walking
> code. For some reason, the bug only reproduces on OSX and Solaris X64.
>
> 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check
>
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8194652-webrev/jdk11-0/
>

> The new test has been verified to fail on OSX and Solaris X64 without the
> fix in place and, with the fix in place, it passes on all Mach5 platforms.
> I've tested the fix with a Mach5 hs-tier[1-3] run and there are no unknown
> failures.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any comments, questions, or suggestions.
>
> Dan

Re: RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

Daniel D. Daugherty
Fred,

Thanks for the fast review!

Dan

On 1/5/18 1:42 PM, Frederic Parain wrote:

> Looks good to me.
>
> Fred
>
>> On Jan 5, 2018, at 11:11, Daniel D. Daugherty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have a very small fix for a bug in VMError::print_native_stack() along
>> with a new test. I ran into the bug while working on some stack walking
>> code. For some reason, the bug only reproduces on OSX and Solaris X64.
>>
>> 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check
>>
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8194652-webrev/jdk11-0/
>>

>> The new test has been verified to fail on OSX and Solaris X64 without the
>> fix in place and, with the fix in place, it passes on all Mach5 platforms.
>> I've tested the fix with a Mach5 hs-tier[1-3] run and there are no unknown
>> failures.
>>
>> Thanks, in advance, for any comments, questions, or suggestions.
>>
>> Dan

Re: RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

Gerald Thornbrugh
Hi Dan,

Your changes look good.

Jerry

> Greetings,
>
> I have a very small fix for a bug in VMError::print_native_stack() along
> with a new test. I ran into the bug while working on some stack walking
> code. For some reason, the bug only reproduces on OSX and Solaris X64.
>
> 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an
> os::is_first_C_frame() check
>
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8194652-webrev/jdk11-0/
>

> The new test has been verified to fail on OSX and Solaris X64 without the
> fix in place and, with the fix in place, it passes on all Mach5
> platforms.
> I've tested the fix with a Mach5 hs-tier[1-3] run and there are no
> unknown
> failures.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any comments, questions, or suggestions.
>
> Dan

Re: RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

Daniel D. Daugherty
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the fast review!

Dan

On 1/5/18 2:17 PM, Gerald Thornbrugh wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Your changes look good.
>
> Jerry
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have a very small fix for a bug in VMError::print_native_stack() along
>> with a new test. I ran into the bug while working on some stack walking
>> code. For some reason, the bug only reproduces on OSX and Solaris X64.
>>
>> 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an
>> os::is_first_C_frame() check
>>
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8194652-webrev/jdk11-0/
>>

>> The new test has been verified to fail on OSX and Solaris X64 without
>> the
>> fix in place and, with the fix in place, it passes on all Mach5
>> platforms.
>> I've tested the fix with a Mach5 hs-tier[1-3] run and there are no
>> unknown
>> failures.
>>
>> Thanks, in advance, for any comments, questions, or suggestions.
>>
>> Dan

Re: RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

Daniel D. Daugherty
Greetings,

I need a (R)eviewer to chime in on this thread...

Dan

On 1/5/18 11:11 AM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a very small fix for a bug in VMError::print_native_stack() along
> with a new test. I ran into the bug while working on some stack walking
> code. For some reason, the bug only reproduces on OSX and Solaris X64.
>
> 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an
> os::is_first_C_frame() check
>
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8194652-webrev/jdk11-0/
>

> The new test has been verified to fail on OSX and Solaris X64 without the
> fix in place and, with the fix in place, it passes on all Mach5
> platforms.
> I've tested the fix with a Mach5 hs-tier[1-3] run and there are no
> unknown
> failures.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any comments, questions, or suggestions.
>
> Dan

Re: RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

Thomas Stüfe-2
Hi Daniel,

looks good. I ran into the problem myself before. Thanks for fixing this.

Best Regards, Thomas

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Daniel D. Daugherty <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I need a (R)eviewer to chime in on this thread...
>
> Dan
>

> On 1/5/18 11:11 AM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have a very small fix for a bug in VMError::print_native_stack() along
>> with a new test. I ran into the bug while working on some stack walking
>> code. For some reason, the bug only reproduces on OSX and Solaris X64.
>>
>> 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an
>> os::is_first_C_frame() check
>>
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8194652-webrev/jdk11-0/
>>

>> The new test has been verified to fail on OSX and Solaris X64 without the
>> fix in place and, with the fix in place, it passes on all Mach5 platforms.
>> I've tested the fix with a Mach5 hs-tier[1-3] run and there are no unknown
>> failures.
>>
>> Thanks, in advance, for any comments, questions, or suggestions.
>>
>> Dan

Re: RFR(XXS): 8194652 VMError::print_native_stack() is missing an os::is_first_C_frame() check

Daniel D. Daugherty
Hi Thomas!

Thanks for the (R)eview!

Dan