Quantcast

RFR of JDK-8176566: @since value errors in types of java.base module

Hamlin Li
Would you please review the below patch?

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mli/8176566/webrev.00/

Thank you

-Hamlin

Re: RFR of JDK-8176566: @since value errors in types of java.base module

Martin Buchholz-3
Hi Hamlin,

You probably did this using a tool - what is it?  Is the tool part of
openjdk?
If you have a tool, you can fairly easily fix all the code maintained by
the openjdk project.
You're fixing JDK-8164058 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8164058>,
so consider taking ownership of that bug.

On 2017/3/14 11:25, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> Hi Hamlin,
>
> You probably did this using a tool - what is it?  Is the tool part of
> openjdk?
Hi Martin,

Yes, I'm using a tool which I just implemented, it's not part of openjdk
currently.
> If you have a tool, you can fairly easily fix all the code maintained
> by the openjdk project.
Yes, I have a plan to fix all @since issues in openjdk, it will take
some time. As there are lots of issues in repos, and as the tool is just
implemented, I need to manually analyze all the issues reported by the tool.
> You're fixing JDK-8164058
> <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8164058>, so consider taking
> ownership of that bug.
Sure, I will discuss with current owner of the issue.

Thank you
-Hamlin

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Hamlin Li <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Would you please review the below patch?
>
>     bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176566
>     <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176566>
>
>     webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mli/8176566/webrev.00/
>     <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Emli/8176566/webrev.00/>
>

>     Thank you
>
>     -Hamlin

Re: RFR of JDK-8176566: @since value errors in types of java.base module

Martin Buchholz-3
Thanks,

10 years ago I fixed most of the @since mistakes using a hacky script, that
may still be floating around at Oracle.  I'm curious to see how you
implemented it.  There's already a place to put tools like this; e.g.
there's my own
common/bin/blessed-modifier-order.sh

I agree that now is a good time to fix @since.  10 years ago I also did it
during a release rampdown.

On 2017/3/14 11:53, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> Thanks,
Thank you.

> 10 years ago I fixed most of the @since mistakes using a hacky script,
> that may still be floating around at Oracle. I'm curious to see how
> you implemented it.
I write a doclet in java which scans all the jdk versions from jdk 1.6
to jdk 9 (as jdk 1.6 is the first version I can get from
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/) to find @since warnings/errors in
modules/packages/types/apis.
>   There's already a place to put tools like this;
I will discuss this further with stakeholders and keep you updated if
there is any progress.
> e.g. there's my own
> common/bin/blessed-modifier-order.sh
Seems it's a tool to correct modifiers order in code and comment. When
will the tool be triggered? or need to be triggered manually?
> I agree that now is a good time to fix @since.  10 years ago I also
> did it during a release rampdown.
:-)

Thank you
-Hamlin

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Hamlin Li <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     On 2017/3/14 11:25, Martin Buchholz wrote:
>>     Hi Hamlin,
>>
>>     You probably did this using a tool - what is it?  Is the tool
>>     part of openjdk?
>     Hi Martin,
>
>     Yes, I'm using a tool which I just implemented, it's not part of
>     openjdk currently.
>>     If you have a tool, you can fairly easily fix all the code
>>     maintained by the openjdk project.
>     Yes, I have a plan to fix all @since issues in openjdk, it will
>     take some time. As there are lots of issues in repos, and as the
>     tool is just implemented, I need to manually analyze all the
>     issues reported by the tool.
>>     You're fixing JDK-8164058
>>     <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8164058>, so consider
>>     taking ownership of that bug.
>     Sure, I will discuss with current owner of the issue.
>
>     Thank you
>     -Hamlin
>>
>>     On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Hamlin Li <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>         Would you please review the below patch?
>>
>>         bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176566
>>         <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176566>
>>
>>         webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mli/8176566/webrev.00/
>>         <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Emli/8176566/webrev.00/>
>>

>>         Thank you
>>
>>         -Hamlin

Re: RFR of JDK-8176566: @since value errors in types of java.base module

Martin Buchholz-3
An automated tool for detecting @since mistakes needs to be run every
release.
So it's important to make it available as open source.

Running such a tool should not be completely automated - human judgement
still required.

On 2017/3/14 15:09, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> An automated tool for detecting @since mistakes needs to be run every
> release.
> So it's important to make it available as open source.
For this part, I can not give you the answer right now, I can only
promise I will let you updated in case of any progress.

> Running such a tool should not be completely automated - human
> judgement still required.
Yes, I can not agree more, it will be automated some day.

Thank you
-Hamlin

Re: RFR of JDK-8176566: @since value errors in types of java.base module

Hamlin Li
Hi Martin,

I update the webrev in place to remove blank lines between tags,

On 2017/3/14 13:16, Hamlin Li wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>

> On 2017/3/14 11:53, Martin Buchholz wrote:
>> Thanks,
> Thank you.
>>
>> 10 years ago I fixed most of the @since mistakes using a hacky
>> script, that may still be floating around at Oracle. I'm curious to
>> see how you implemented it.
> I write a doclet in java which scans all the jdk versions from jdk 1.6
> to jdk 9 (as jdk 1.6 is the first version I can get from
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/) to find @since warnings/errors in
> modules/packages/types/apis.
>>   There's already a place to put tools like this;
> I will discuss this further with stakeholders and keep you updated if
> there is any progress.
>> e.g. there's my own
>> common/bin/blessed-modifier-order.sh
> Seems it's a tool to correct modifiers order in code and comment. When
> will the tool be triggered? or need to be triggered manually?
>> I agree that now is a good time to fix @since.  10 years ago I also
>> did it during a release rampdown.
> :-)
>
> Thank you
> -Hamlin
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Hamlin Li <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 2017/3/14 11:25, Martin Buchholz wrote:
>>>     Hi Hamlin,
>>>
>>>     You probably did this using a tool - what is it?  Is the tool
>>>     part of openjdk?
>>     Hi Martin,
>>
>>     Yes, I'm using a tool which I just implemented, it's not part of
>>     openjdk currently.
>>>     If you have a tool, you can fairly easily fix all the code
>>>     maintained by the openjdk project.
>>     Yes, I have a plan to fix all @since issues in openjdk, it will
>>     take some time. As there are lots of issues in repos, and as the
>>     tool is just implemented, I need to manually analyze all the
>>     issues reported by the tool.
>>>     You're fixing JDK-8164058
>>>     <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8164058>, so consider
>>>     taking ownership of that bug.
>>     Sure, I will discuss with current owner of the issue.
>>
>>     Thank you
>>     -Hamlin
>>>
>>>     On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Hamlin Li <[hidden email]
>>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         Would you please review the below patch?
>>>
>>>         bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176566
>>> <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176566>
>>>
>>>         webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mli/8176566/webrev.00/
>>> <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Emli/8176566/webrev.00/>
>>>

>>>         Thank you
>>>
>>>         -Hamlin

Re: RFR of JDK-8176566: @since value errors in types of java.base module

Paul Sandoz

> On 14 Mar 2017, at 01:45, Hamlin Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> I update the webrev in place to remove blank lines between tags, http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mli/8176566/webrev.00/

+1

Paul.