Re: [10] (S) RFR 8191788: add jdk.internal.vm.compiler to --limit-modules if -Djvmci.Compiler=graal is in the command line

Re: [10] (S) RFR 8191788: add jdk.internal.vm.compiler to --limit-modules if -Djvmci.Compiler=graal is in the command line

Mandy Chung

On 12/13/17 12:16 AM, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:
> After several rounds of testing (which found different types of
> failures with Graal as JIT compiler) I decided to limit these changes
> for cases when --limit-modules is used:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/8191788/webrev.01/

Looks okay.

Since the number of tests with --limit-modules is small, filtering them
out when running with Graal as JIT compiler is a reasonable approach for
JDK 10.   At some point, we may revisit this and possibly a test library
to deal with similar use case - tests with limited modules when running
with additional VM flags requiring observable modules.  I will create an
issue for it.

Mandy

Re: [10] (S) RFR 8191788: add jdk.internal.vm.compiler to --limit-modules if -Djvmci.Compiler=graal is in the command line

Vladimir Kozlov
Thank you, Mandy

Vladimir

On 12/13/17 8:47 AM, mandy chung wrote:

> On 12/13/17 12:16 AM, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:
>> After several rounds of testing (which found different types of
>> failures with Graal as JIT compiler) I decided to limit these changes
>> for cases when --limit-modules is used:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/8191788/webrev.01/
>
> Looks okay.
>
> Since the number of tests with --limit-modules is small, filtering them
> out when running with Graal as JIT compiler is a reasonable approach for
> JDK 10.   At some point, we may revisit this and possibly a test library
> to deal with similar use case - tests with limited modules when running
> with additional VM flags requiring observable modules.  I will create an
> issue for it.
>
> Mandy

Re: [10] (S) RFR 8191788: add jdk.internal.vm.compiler to --limit-modules if -Djvmci.Compiler=graal is in the command line

Alan Bateman

On 13/12/2017 16:47, mandy chung wrote:

> On 12/13/17 12:16 AM, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:
>> After several rounds of testing (which found different types of
>> failures with Graal as JIT compiler) I decided to limit these changes
>> for cases when --limit-modules is used:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/8191788/webrev.01/
>
> Looks okay.
>
> Since the number of tests with --limit-modules is small, filtering
> them out when running with Graal as JIT compiler is a reasonable
> approach for JDK 10.   At some point, we may revisit this and possibly
> a test library to deal with similar use case - tests with limited
> modules when running with additional VM flags requiring observable
> modules.  I will create an issue for it.
I looked at the webrev too, looks good and much better than modifying
the VM to augment the list specified to --limit-modules.

-Alan