Re: [8u] RFR (XS) 8218613: [TESTBUG] runtime/ErrorHandling tests are building incorrect testlibrary classes

Re: [8u] RFR (XS) 8218613: [TESTBUG] runtime/ErrorHandling tests are building incorrect testlibrary classes

Martin Buchholz-3

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:33 AM David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/02/2019 9:52 pm, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> Bug:
>    https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8218613
>
> This is botched backport to 8u, which fails the jtreg tests now in 8u. Note the fix is not the
> backport, but the actual 8u-specific fix.

IIRC the incorrect @build is not a fatal error for earlier jtreg
version. AFAICS we still use jtreg 4.1 for testing 8u internally.

This surprised me.  Of course, the incentive to update to new jtreg versions is generally because jdk-latest needs it, but we've always successfully adopted any newer jtreg to test older jdks as well.
(but we don't run as many tests as you do)

Re: [8u] RFR (XS) 8218613: [TESTBUG] runtime/ErrorHandling tests are building incorrect testlibrary classes

Andrew Haley
On 2/7/19 5:28 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:33 AM David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/02/2019 9:52 pm, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
>>> Bug:
>>>    https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8218613
>>>
>>> This is botched backport to 8u, which fails the jtreg tests now in 8u.
>> Note the fix is not the
>>> backport, but the actual 8u-specific fix.
>>
>> IIRC the incorrect @build is not a fatal error for earlier jtreg
>> version. AFAICS we still use jtreg 4.1 for testing 8u internally.
>>

> This surprised me.  Of course, the incentive to update to new jtreg
> versions is generally because jdk-latest needs it, but we've always
> successfully adopted any newer jtreg to test older jdks as well.
> (but we don't run as many tests as you do)

I want to use the current jtreg for everything if at all possible.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer
EAC8 43EB D3EF DB98 CC77 2FAD A5CD 6035 332F A671

Re: [8u] RFR (XS) 8218613: [TESTBUG] runtime/ErrorHandling tests are building incorrect testlibrary classes

Aleksey Shipilev-4
On 2/8/19 2:52 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:

> On 2/7/19 5:28 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:

>>> Note the fix is not the
>>>
>>> IIRC the incorrect @build is not a fatal error for earlier jtreg
>>> version. AFAICS we still use jtreg 4.1 for testing 8u internally.
>>>

>> This surprised me.  Of course, the incentive to update to new jtreg
>> versions is generally because jdk-latest needs it, but we've always
>> successfully adopted any newer jtreg to test older jdks as well.
>> (but we don't run as many tests as you do)
>
> I want to use the current jtreg for everything if at all possible.
That is my goal as well. Can I have the push approval, please?

-Aleksey

On 2/12/19 1:43 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:

> On 2/8/19 2:52 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> This surprised me.  Of course, the incentive to update to new jtreg
>>> versions is generally because jdk-latest needs it, but we've always
>>> successfully adopted any newer jtreg to test older jdks as well.
>>> (but we don't run as many tests as you do)
>>
>> I want to use the current jtreg for everything if at all possible.
>
> That is my goal as well. Can I have the push approval, please?

OK.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer
EAC8 43EB D3EF DB98 CC77 2FAD A5CD 6035 332F A671

Re: [8u] RFR (XS) 8218613: [TESTBUG] runtime/ErrorHandling tests are building incorrect testlibrary classes

Jonathan Gibbons

On 2/8/19 5:52 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:

> On 2/7/19 5:28 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:

>>> Note the fix is not the
>>> IIRC the incorrect @build is not a fatal error for earlier jtreg
>>> version. AFAICS we still use jtreg 4.1 for testing 8u internally.
>>>
>> This surprised me.  Of course, the incentive to update to new jtreg
>> versions is generally because jdk-latest needs it, but we've always
>> successfully adopted any newer jtreg to test older jdks as well.
>> (but we don't run as many tests as you do)
> I want to use the current jtreg for everything if at all possible.

Folk,

It is a general goal for jtreg to support use on older systems, so I
have a question regarding that aspect ... what is the oldest JDK for
which you want to use jtreg (jdk7u?, jdk8u etc) and how do you run jtreg
... using the Makefiles, or in some custom setup? There's a hidden
aspect to that last question, which is, what JDK do you use to run jtreg
when testing these older platforms?

-- Jon

On 2/13/19 1:38 AM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
> It is a general goal for jtreg to support use on older systems, so I have a question regarding that
> aspect ... what is the oldest JDK for which you want to use jtreg (jdk7u?, jdk8u etc) and how do you
> run jtreg ... using the Makefiles, or in some custom setup? There's a hidden aspect to that last
> question, which is, what JDK do you use to run jtreg when testing these older platforms?

I run "make test", "make run-test" with whatever boot jdk is accepted in jdk9+. jdk8u does not have
lots of test definitions in TEST.groups (we would rectify that hopefully soon), so executing the
jtreg as standalone binary with system Java (8u), passing the $repo/test directory to it.

I think the minimal supported version should be jdk7u.

-Aleksey