Re: RFR: 8264881: Remove the old development option MemProfiling

Re: RFR: 8264881: Remove the old development option MemProfiling

Yi Yang
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 03:19:21 GMT, Yi Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MemProfiler is a very old development option added at:
>
> ^As 00018/00000/00000
> ^Ad D 1.1 98/04/14 13:18:32 renes 1 0
> ^Ac date and time created 98/04/14 13:18:32 by renes
> ^Ae
>
> Today it doesn't work because it is untested and there is no reason/scenario to prove it is useful.
>
> After a short discussion in https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3340, I'd like to propose removing the memprofiler if there are no strong objections.
>
> Thanks!
> Yang

Gentle query: I do find another three product options(UseNewCode\d) that do nothing, they have been added in JDK6 as initial load commit(Maybe early). Does anyone know what's the intention of adding these options? Is it reasonable to remove them now?

Re: RFR: 8264881: Remove the old development option MemProfiling

David Holmes
On 8/04/2021 1:51 pm, Yi Yang wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 03:19:21 GMT, Yi Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> MemProfiler is a very old development option added at:
>>
>> ^As 00018/00000/00000
>> ^Ad D 1.1 98/04/14 13:18:32 renes 1 0
>> ^Ac date and time created 98/04/14 13:18:32 by renes
>> ^Ae
>>
>> Today it doesn't work because it is untested and there is no reason/scenario to prove it is useful.
>>
>> After a short discussion in https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3340, I'd like to propose removing the memprofiler if there are no strong objections.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Yang
>
> Gentle query: I do find another three product options(UseNewCode\d) that do nothing, they have been added in JDK6 as initial load commit(Maybe early). Does anyone know what's the intention of adding these options? Is it reasonable to remove them now?

The UseNewCode flags are there as a development aid so that you can
conditionally enable changed logic during development without needing to
add a new runtime flag just for that. It can be very useful for gating
changes when doing performance runs. No code ever gets committed that
actually uses them though.

So no, please do not delete them. :)

> -------------

Re: RFR: 8264881: Remove the old development option MemProfiling

David Holmes-2
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 03:19:21 GMT, Yi Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MemProfiler is a very old development option added at:
>
> ^As 00018/00000/00000
> ^Ad D 1.1 98/04/14 13:18:32 renes 1 0
> ^Ac date and time created 98/04/14 13:18:32 by renes
> ^Ae
>
> Today it doesn't work because it is untested and there is no reason/scenario to prove it is useful.
>
> After a short discussion in https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3340, I'd like to propose removing the memprofiler if there are no strong objections.
>
> Thanks!
> Yang

Hi Yi,

Actual code removal looks good.

Marked as reviewed by dholmes (Reviewer).

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 05:38:56 GMT, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> MemProfiler is a very old development option added at:
>>
>> ^As 00018/00000/00000
>> ^Ad D 1.1 98/04/14 13:18:32 renes 1 0
>> ^Ac date and time created 98/04/14 13:18:32 by renes
>> ^Ae
>>
>> Today it doesn't work because it is untested and there is no reason/scenario to prove it is useful.
>>
>> After a short discussion in https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3340, I'd like to propose removing the memprofiler if there are no strong objections.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Yang
>
> Hi Yi,
>
> Actual code removal looks good.

> _Mailing list message from [David Holmes](mailto:[hidden email]) on [hotspot-runtime-dev](mailto:[hidden email]):_
>
> On 8/04/2021 1:51 pm, Yi Yang wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 03:19:21 GMT, Yi Yang <yyang at openjdk.org> wrote:
> > > MemProfiler is a very old development option added at:
> > > ^As 00018/00000/00000
> > > ^Ad D 1.1 98/04/14 13:18:32 renes 1 0
> > > ^Ac date and time created 98/04/14 13:18:32 by renes
> > > ^Ae
> > > Today it doesn't work because it is untested and there is no reason/scenario to prove it is useful.
> > > After a short discussion in https://github.com/[/pull/3340](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3340), I'd like to propose removing the memprofiler if there are no strong objections.
> > > Thanks!
> > > Yang
> >

> > Gentle query: I do find another three product options(UseNewCode\d) that do nothing, they have been added in JDK6 as initial load commit(Maybe early). Does anyone know what's the intention of adding these options? Is it reasonable to remove them now?
>
> The UseNewCode flags are there as a development aid so that you can
> conditionally enable changed logic during development without needing to
> add a new runtime flag just for that. It can be very useful for gating
> changes when doing performance runs. No code ever gets committed that
> actually uses them though.
>
> So no, please do not delete them. :)

Got it. Thank you David, you are the OpenJDK encyclopedia. :)
(PS: it looks like they are wrongly marked as product flags)

On 8/04/2021 4:04 pm, Yi Yang wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 05:38:56 GMT, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The UseNewCode flags are there as a development aid so that you can
>> conditionally enable changed logic during development without needing to
>> add a new runtime flag just for that. It can be very useful for gating
>> changes when doing performance runs. No code ever gets committed that
>> actually uses them though.
>>
>> So no, please do not delete them. :)

> Got it. Thank you David, you are the OpenJDK encyclopedia. :)
> (PS: it looks like they are wrongly marked as product flags)

No that is deliberate as well. Lets say I'm doing a performance test on
two variants of a fix. I use UseNewCode to select between them, but I
want to do the performance run on a product build.

> -------------

Re: RFR: 8264881: Remove the old development option MemProfiling

Coleen Phillimore-3
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 03:19:21 GMT, Yi Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MemProfiler is a very old development option added at:
>
> ^As 00018/00000/00000
> ^Ad D 1.1 98/04/14 13:18:32 renes 1 0
> ^Ac date and time created 98/04/14 13:18:32 by renes
> ^Ae
>
> Today it doesn't work because it is untested and there is no reason/scenario to prove it is useful.
>
> After a short discussion in https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3340, I'd like to propose removing the memprofiler if there are no strong objections.
>
> Thanks!
> Yang

Thank you for finding and removing this code.

-------------

Marked as reviewed by coleenp (Reviewer).

Re: RFR: 8264881: Remove the old development option MemProfiling

Yi Yang
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 05:38:56 GMT, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> MemProfiler is a very old development option added at:
>>
>> ^As 00018/00000/00000
>> ^Ad D 1.1 98/04/14 13:18:32 renes 1 0
>> ^Ac date and time created 98/04/14 13:18:32 by renes
>> ^Ae
>>
>> Today it doesn't work because it is untested and there is no reason/scenario to prove it is useful.
>>
>> After a short discussion in https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3340, I'd like to propose removing the memprofiler if there are no strong objections.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Yang
>
> Hi Yi,
>
> Actual code removal looks good.

Thanks @dholmes-ora @coleenp for the review.

Re: RFR: 8264881: Remove the old development option MemProfiling

Aleksey Shipilev-5
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 03:19:21 GMT, Yi Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MemProfiler is a very old development option added at:
>
> ^As 00018/00000/00000
> ^Ad D 1.1 98/04/14 13:18:32 renes 1 0
> ^Ac date and time created 98/04/14 13:18:32 by renes
> ^Ae
>
> Today it doesn't work because it is untested and there is no reason/scenario to prove it is useful.
>
> After a short discussion in https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3340, I'd like to propose removing the memprofiler if there are no strong objections.
>
> Thanks!
> Yang

Looks fine to me as well.