Re: RFR [jdk8] : 8193807 : AIX: avoid UnsatisfiedLinkError by providing empty basic implementations of getSystemCpuLoad and getProcessCpuLoad

Re: RFR [jdk8] : 8193807 : AIX: avoid UnsatisfiedLinkError by providing empty basic implementations of getSystemCpuLoad and getProcessCpuLoad

Volker Simonis
Hi Matthias,

the change looks good!
I can sponsor it once we get the approval.

Also forwarded to buil-dev for the minimal build change.

Thank you and best regards,
Volker

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Baesken, Matthias
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello  , Mark reported  this issue on AIX  with OpenJDK8 :
>

>>I'm getting an unsatisfied link error when using logstash on AIX but I suspect the issue is with AIX or the JRE, the exception is:
>>
>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: sun.management.OperatingSystemImpl.getProcessCpuLoad()D
>>                  getProcessCpuLoad at sun/management/OperatingSystemImpl.java:-2
>>                             <init> at org/logstash/instrument/monitors/ProcessMonitor.java:40
>>                             detect at org/logstash/instrument/monitors/ProcessMonitor.java:79
>>                           generate at org/logstash/instrument/reports/ProcessReport.java:15
>>
>> this is the line in logstash:
>>
>> this.cpuProcessPercent = scaleLoadToPercent(unixOsBean.getProcessCpuLoad());
>>
>> https://github.com/elastic/logstash/blob/master/logstash-core/src/main/java/org/logstash/instrument/monitors/ProcessMonitor.java
>>

>> Could anybody help steer me in the right direction?
>>

> This fix addresses  the missing  getSystemCpuLoad and getProcessCpuLoad  on AIX  .
> JDK8 is only affected , JDK9 and higher is not affected .
>
> Could I get a  review for this change   ?
>

> Change :
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mbaesken/webrevs/8193807/
>
> Bug :

> Thanks, Matthias

Re: RFR [jdk8] : 8193807 : AIX: avoid UnsatisfiedLinkError by providing empty basic implementations of getSystemCpuLoad and getProcessCpuLoad

Erik Joelsson
Looks ok to me.

/Erik

On 2017-12-20 10:32, Volker Simonis wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> the change looks good!
> I can sponsor it once we get the approval.
>
> Also forwarded to buil-dev for the minimal build change.
>
> Thank you and best regards,
> Volker
>

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Baesken, Matthias
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello  , Mark reported  this issue on AIX  with OpenJDK8 :
>>
>>> I'm getting an unsatisfied link error when using logstash on AIX but I suspect the issue is with AIX or the JRE, the exception is:
>>>
>>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: sun.management.OperatingSystemImpl.getProcessCpuLoad()D
>>>                   getProcessCpuLoad at sun/management/OperatingSystemImpl.java:-2
>>>                              <init> at org/logstash/instrument/monitors/ProcessMonitor.java:40
>>>                              detect at org/logstash/instrument/monitors/ProcessMonitor.java:79
>>>                            generate at org/logstash/instrument/reports/ProcessReport.java:15
>>>
>>> this is the line in logstash:
>>>
>>> this.cpuProcessPercent = scaleLoadToPercent(unixOsBean.getProcessCpuLoad());
>>>
>>> https://github.com/elastic/logstash/blob/master/logstash-core/src/main/java/org/logstash/instrument/monitors/ProcessMonitor.java
>>>

>>> Could anybody help steer me in the right direction?
>>>
>> This fix addresses  the missing  getSystemCpuLoad and getProcessCpuLoad  on AIX  .
>> JDK8 is only affected , JDK9 and higher is not affected .
>>
>> Could I get a  review for this change   ?
>>

>> Change :
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mbaesken/webrevs/8193807/
>>
>> Bug :

>> Thanks, Matthias

Re: RFR [jdk8] : 8193807 : AIX: avoid UnsatisfiedLinkError by providing empty basic implementations of getSystemCpuLoad and getProcessCpuLoad

Volker Simonis
Hi Martin,

I've just pushed the fix to jdk8u/jdk8u-dev [1] so it should be in the
next regular 8u update (probably 8u172 ?).

You can of course test it any time by building the tip of
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u-dev yourself :)

Merry Christmas and a happy new year,
Volker

[1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u-dev/jdk/rev/def07b5ce3be

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Evans, Martin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Many thanks guys, I look forward to testing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin

I'm afraid that's not easy to answer. The fix didn't made it into
8u162 which will be released in January 2018 [1]. It is targeted for
8u172 but there is no time-line for 8u172 yet [2].

The best you can do is to ask on the 8u-dev [3] mailing list or ask
the people at AdoptOpenJDK ([hidden email] [4]) to
merge the fix into their current builds. That would be actually a good
smoke test for their tool chain :)

Regards,
Volker

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8u/releases/8u162.html