Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8189198: Add "forRemoval = true" to Applet API deprecations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8189198: Add "forRemoval = true" to Applet API deprecations

Alexander Matveev
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 18:33:37 GMT, Andy Herrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> implementation of
> JDK-8256145: JEP 398: Deprecate the Applet API for Removal

Marked as reviewed by almatvee (Committer).

-------------

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2920
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8189198: Add "forRemoval = true" to Applet API deprecations

Alan Bateman-2
On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 00:43:33 GMT, Alexander Matveev <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> implementation of
>> JDK-8256145: JEP 398: Deprecate the Applet API for Removal
>
> Marked as reviewed by almatvee (Committer).

Have you looked at narrowing the use of the SuppressWarnings to local variable declarations to avoid adding it to some of these methods?

-------------

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2920
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8189198: Add "forRemoval = true" to Applet API deprecations

Andy Herrick-2
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:06:08 GMT, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the

-------------

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2920
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8189198: Add "forRemoval = true" to Applet API deprecations

Andy Herrick-2
In reply to this post by Alan Bateman-2
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:06:08 GMT, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Have you looked at narrowing the use of the SuppressWarnings to local variable declarations to avoid adding it to some of these methods?

in all cases either:
 - the class or method itself is being deprecated
 - the method takes a deprecated arg .
 - there is no local variable involved, such as testing if something  is an instanceOf a class being deprecated, or calling a deprecated method.

I cannot find any instances where the scope can be narrowed

-------------

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2920
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8189198: Add "forRemoval = true" to Applet API deprecations

Alan Bateman-2
On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 16:44:19 GMT, Andy Herrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I cannot find any instances where the scope can be narrowed

Are you about AquaInternalFrameUI.mouseRelased, BasicPopupMenuUI. stateChanged, and other non-trivial methods?

-------------

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2920
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8189198: Add "forRemoval = true" to Applet API deprecations

Andy Herrick-2
On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 19:02:39 GMT, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> > I cannot find any instances where the scope can be narrowed
>
> Are you about AquaInternalFrameUI.mouseRelased, BasicPopupMenuUI. stateChanged, and other non-trivial methods?

These have the code pattern such as:
} else if (c instanceof JApplet) {
putting '@SuppressWarnings("removal")' before the declaration of 'c' does not help, because the code is not an assignment to 'c'

-------------

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2920
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8189198: Add "forRemoval = true" to Applet API deprecations [v2]

Andy Herrick-2
On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 20:33:09 GMT, Andy Herrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I cannot find any instances where the scope can be narrowed
>>
>> Are you about AquaInternalFrameUI.mouseRelased, BasicPopupMenuUI. stateChanged, and other non-trivial methods?
>
>>
>>
>> > I cannot find any instances where the scope can be narrowed
>>
>> Are you about AquaInternalFrameUI.mouseRelased, BasicPopupMenuUI. stateChanged, and other non-trivial methods?
>
> These have the code pattern such as:
> } else if (c instanceof JApplet) {
> putting '@SuppressWarnings("removal")' before the declaration of 'c' does not help, because the code is not an assignment to 'c'

pushed minor change to src/java.desktop/share/classes/java/applet/package-info.java as well as merge with master.

-------------

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2920